View Poll Results: Click the one item that best describes your preference

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have a preference for whites over blacks

    6 21.43%
  • I have no preference for whites or blacks

    22 78.57%
  • I have a preference for blacks over whites

    0 0%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: Are you racially biased?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,518

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    The reason it works ya'll is that our brains work by using simplified mechanisms called heuristics in order to form judgements and make decisions. One of the heuristic we use a lot is called the "representativeness heuristic," which is the technique used to make quick judgments in response to new stimulus/events. At its simplest: The human brain picks out the salient features of a new object/event in order to compare those with our previous experiences to arrive to a quick conclusion. It's how we know an object we've never seen before is a chair. Our brains immediately pick out the distinguishing features of this object -- flat, hard, two 90 degree planes ... -- and "Oh! Bingo!" that looks like a chair! It's what you might also call "pattern recognition."

    ... and our brains do are almost able to do this work instantaneously. You take person and put them in front of a picture slide show with a category in mind, say chairs, and they'll be able to confirm that the picture in front of them is a chair within tenths of a second. It's all working with categories and similarities. Suddenly throw in a picture of an apple, and whoops, the brain has to throw red flags and is forced to recalculate.

    Off this psychologists can perform tests. These tests are replicable and predictable. People can, in a quantifiable manner, better identify apples to apples and chairs to chairs, than they could identify apples with chairs. The can easily identify the color red to red objects, instead of failing at the Stroop effect test; they can identify coffee pictures to coffee scents; and can compare cute things to other cute things. People can also better identify nice words to nice pictures, bad words to bad pictures, nice words to white people, and bad words to black people ... which as you could imagine, is a bit of a problem.
    I have to wonder about the biases implicit in the test. Later tests will yield different results than earlier ones and will later answers in the same test simply because you get used to what you're supposed to do. I know for example that on the first run I got some wrong, though none on later runs because I finally got the hang of what they were doing. Additionally I would answer later questions in the same test run faster because I memorized where "Black" and "White" and "Good" and "Bad" were located and didn't have to look at the screen any longer.

    For myself I showed a slight automatic preference for European American. Not surprising.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #42
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,992

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Yup, it was actually difficult to do it. I did much better at those last questions, especially with the ratings scales.

    I kept answering that Hurt was Good and Pleasure was Bad and all sorts of ****ups.
    Maybe you are harboring an internal desire for the S&M stuff. The quiz says so.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #43
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,713

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    It's my understanding that the reliability is quite good given it's been around for the past 20+ years. The reliability and accuracy tend to be spot on.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_Association_Test
    The Political Compass has been around a very long time too and it's biased as hell.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #44
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,992

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Does anyone know if they tell you when you are wrong on there? Some of the pictures I wasn't 100% sure if they were white or black.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #45
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Does anyone know if they tell you when you are wrong on there? Some of the pictures I wasn't 100% sure if they were white or black.
    If you make a mistake a red X pops up.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's what I got too. I really screwed up on the first questions with the Es and the Is. I got more red x's than not. After the second set I started to get them right all the time.
    I actually had the opposite problem. I was fine on the first few rounds. It was when they switched things around on me that I started making mistakes.

    I only made a couple in total, but it was still kind of bugging me. Lol

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Last Seen
    06-26-15 @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    32

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    I am but I hold them in during dealings with other humans because I want maximum social benefit with as little social negative interaction as possible.

    I don't care if you're a Nazi, Communist, racist, antiracist, black, Asian, white, redneck, single mother, elite banker, I just want to use you in whatever way I can to benefit me without you directly being aware of said motive. Usually being nice to people is the easiest way to manipulate them because in actuality kindness and niceties are extremely easy to fake.


    You'd be amazed how much Sir, Ma'am, thank you does to people even when you're actively trying to take advantage of them. It's the whole reason manners were invented in the first place. "Civilized Undermining".
    Last edited by Unaffiliated; 06-19-15 at 03:34 PM.

  8. #48
    Godwin's Lawyer
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    10,672

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    With the on going racial discussions about police, race in communities, how people see racial divides and this last horrific shooting in South Carolina's AME Church, it made me seek out an IAT test on race to see just how biased I was. I will post my information below as well as the result of the test which I found to be interesting.

    This is the honor system, so please vote in the poll first, then go to the link and take the test and post your results.
    It would be helpful to post your own race as well as the result of the test.

    CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE TEST


    My result: I am white/caucasian, 47 yrs of age.
    Attachment 67185893
    Your Result
    Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

    Wow. I honestly did not expect this.
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." --First Amendment to the United States Constitution

  9. #49
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    37,111

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The point of this exercise is to vote first, then take the test to see how you REALLY are. I understand if you don't want to take the test and publicize your bias.
    I just found it unreasonable ockham.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  10. #50
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you racially biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I just found it unreasonable ockham.
    Nah - you just don't want to post the result. It's fear, but that's fine. You're not alone.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •