View Poll Results: If Watergate had never happened would Nixon be remembered as a good President?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, absolutely.

    6 17.14%
  • He did some good stuff, so probably, but not guaranteed.

    18 51.43%
  • No way, no how.

    4 11.43%
  • Other

    7 20.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: If Watergate had never happened...

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:42 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,667

    If Watergate had never happened...

    If Watergate had never happened...

    ...would Richard Nixon be remembered as a good President?

    Legacy-wise, 20+ years after he would have left office at the end of his term.
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  2. #2
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,158
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    We don't have a time machine so my guess is that we'll never really know.

    Me, I liked Nixon up until Watergate.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,559

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If Watergate had never happened...

    ...would Richard Nixon be remembered as a good President?

    Legacy-wise, 20+ years after he would have left office at the end of his term.
    What if JFK had not been murdered? Would Nixon ever have been president?

    That is a question that is impossible to answer and that would have a direct influence on this. If Nixon had been a good president would there have been a Carter presidency? Or a Reagan one.

    He opened up the road to the East with China. But that was a choice made out of fear of a Russia-China commie juggernaut IMHO.

    What he did in Chili helped the rise into power of Pinochet, just because Nixon did not want Allende in government. Something that has cost many thousands of innocent lives from this brutal dictatorship.

    It is impossible to determine whether or not he would have been a good president without Watergate because Watergate was a reality just as the response of Nixon. In office he made some good and some very bad decisions. All in all I have to say, impossible to predict whether or not we would have seen his presidency as good or bad. He would have gone into history as any other president who had not had a future changing decision, he would have been seen as OK, nothing more I would think.
    Wilders is a piece of gutter trash, a gutless populist who has no morality to speak of.

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:42 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,667

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    What if JFK had not been murdered? Would Nixon ever have been president?

    That is a question that is impossible to answer and that would have a direct influence on this. If Nixon had been a good president would there have been a Carter presidency? Or a Reagan one.

    He opened up the road to the East with China. But that was a choice made out of fear of a Russia-China commie juggernaut IMHO.

    What he did in Chili helped the rise into power of Pinochet, just because Nixon did not want Allende in government. Something that has cost many thousands of innocent lives from this brutal dictatorship.

    It is impossible to determine whether or not he would have been a good president without Watergate because Watergate was a reality just as the response of Nixon. In office he made some good and some very bad decisions. All in all I have to say, impossible to predict whether or not we would have seen his presidency as good or bad. He would have gone into history as any other president who had not had a future changing decision, he would have been seen as OK, nothing more I would think.
    You spent a lot of time to not answer what is a very simple question. The question deals with Nixon solely, not anyone else, and especially not events prior to his Presidency. It also deals with how he would be remembered. It's not complicated, and it's silly to make it complicated.

    Grade: F
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  5. #5
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,559

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You spent a lot of time to not answer what is a very simple question. The question deals with Nixon solely, not anyone else, and especially not events prior to his Presidency. It also deals with how he would be remembered. It's not complicated, and it's silly to make it complicated.

    Grade: F
    And how is it a simple question? In Never Neverland?

    How on earth is anybody going to predict how Nixon would have been remembered if there had not been a Watergate.

    1. there was a Watergate

    2. He did not complete his presidency

    3. people cannot predict how a president would have been viewed without him having finished his presidency. Maybe he would have solved world hunger, maybe he would have started world war three.

    Grade for your poll: F (two can play that game)
    Wilders is a piece of gutter trash, a gutless populist who has no morality to speak of.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,445

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If Watergate had never happened...

    ...would Richard Nixon be remembered as a good President?

    Legacy-wise, 20+ years after he would have left office at the end of his term.
    The problem with Nixon was a deep and scarred flaw in his own personality which caused him to be too often won over by his darker impulses. Watergate was only one of the more obvious examples.

    Had it never happened , I suspect if he could have avoided other such scandals, the main thing he would be remembered for is China and that would cause him to be rated as a GOOD president. Sadly, reality names him a disgrace.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #7
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    12-07-16 @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,818

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If Watergate had never happened...

    ...would Richard Nixon be remembered as a good President?

    Legacy-wise, 20+ years after he would have left office at the end of his term.
    I voted "other," but the more I think about it the more I realize it would be very difficult to brand Nixon a good President absent Watergate.

    With foreign policy, Nixon in some ways made the exact same mistake as Johnson with the Vietnam War. Because of that double down, those actions taught a changing nation to no longer trust what the government was telling the people. The unpopularity of the war soared as well as the notion of "secret government." With the economy and our fiscal position you could argue well that in concert with our complete implementation of a Fiat Money system, Nixon is largely responsible (with his war machine, entitlement changes, and other dubious spending desires) for the core structural fiscal condition of our deficits that existed all the way up to the point of Clinton and in some ways still exist today. He both inflated spending on the poor and the middle class through entitlement changes to Social Security, Medicare, and other federal employee retirement mechanisms of the period. At the same time he pressured the Fed to be more loose with their interpretations of economic data and by effect accelerated our bubble and pop economic model. From that inflation jumped dramatically as Fed policy was no longer in sync with price and wage indicators. Ended up being something that other Presidents had to deal with up to and including Reagan. Nixon was also the ultimate regulator. Think the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, and the Consumer Product Safety Act of 1972. While we can argue all day about the merits of these Acts, the net effect was an economic impact on top of other decisions from the period. It was no real shock we had periods of unsustainable inflation from all the actions taken during Nixon's time to gain popularity in the face of such a changing nation.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,332

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    Nixon was easy to not like, so he probably would have taken a beating for his personality, and possibly for the failed drug war. without Watergate, though, his legacy would have been presiding over the end of the Vietnam war and opening up China for trade. his presidency would most likely have been in the positive category.

    Monday morning quarterbacking, and all. it's hard to tell with the data that we have. his second term was cut short, and he could have done a lot with it or not much.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,332

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    interesting idea for a thread, BTW.

  10. #10
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,412

    Re: If Watergate had never happened...

    Nixon actually did do a lot, and even as a republican, more progressive ideas got through on compromise, more so than even clinton or obama.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •