View Poll Results: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we screwed it up, and we're going to pay a heavy price)

    28 45.90%
  • They asked for it!

    0 0%
  • It wasn't just us, we had help.

    14 22.95%
  • No, it would have come to this point even without our involvement.

    10 16.39%
  • Other.

    9 14.75%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 112

Thread: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?[W:51***]

  1. #81
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,478

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?


  2. #82
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,835

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?[W:51***]


  3. #83
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,148

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's a sick belief, Unabomber/whacko level material that denies empathy in humans. How someone becomes so disconnected from one's fellow man as to believe such is, gratefully, beyond me. One can only hold such a perspective from a dark and terrifying hole, and I feel pity.
    I'm not going to suggest that the ME would have been some kind of haven if we did not intervene, but the acts undertaken by the west in the M.E. pretty clearly reveal that arabic oil has been more important to us than arabic people.

    EDIT: Would just like to say that I feel my sentiments are corroborated by some of the despicable things people post on this very forum and in this very thread. I wish I could say that post 77 was anomalous but it's really a very common thoguht about the middle east. I guess if you searched "nuke" and "middle east" throughout the forum there would be a very uncomfortable number of results.

    Quote Originally Posted by PIPEWRENCH View Post
    I say we nuke it from space and kill every last person there. It is the only way to be sure.
    Last edited by Nilly; 06-11-15 at 10:32 PM.
    "Education is the only thing you can do that will change society. Everything else is just a band-aid." - Jacqueline de Chollet
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education" - FDR

  4. #84
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,478

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    EDIT: Would just like to say that I feel my sentiments are corroborated by some of the despicable things people post on this very forum and in this very thread.
    This place is clearly a nuthouse. Let's not project its ravings upon society at large, it's not representative.

    You need to recognize that those in office have empathy and want what's best for people, as do the people of the Western world (the entire world, for that matter, tyrants and other nutbags aside). They're not evil monsters, they're people like you an I. Dehumanizing democratic governments is pathetic nonsense.

  5. #85
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,148

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    This place is clearly a nuthouse. Let's not project its ravings upon society at large, it's not representative.

    You need to recognize that those in office have empathy and want what's best for people, as do the people of the Western world (the entire world, for that matter, tyrants and other nutbags aside). They're not evil monsters, they're people like you an I. Dehumanizing democratic governments is pathetic nonsense.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. People like you and I buy products that were manufactured by preteen children (essentially slaves) in sweatshops. People like you and I run companies that contract those sweatshops. People like you and I would rather that gas prices fell by 10c than worry about what happened in the middle east (or South America) to cause that drop.

    I do believe that the government and most people in the west are well-intentioned, but often our empathy only extends as far as we can see. Not much further.
    "Education is the only thing you can do that will change society. Everything else is just a band-aid." - Jacqueline de Chollet
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education" - FDR

  6. #86
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,478

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. People like you and I buy products that were manufactured by preteen children (essentially slaves) in sweatshops. People like you and I run companies that contract those sweatshops. People like you and I would rather that gas prices fell by 10c than worry about what happened in the middle east (or South America) to cause that drop.

    I do believe that the government and most people in the west are well-intentioned, but often our empathy only extends as far as we can see. Not much further.
    Well, I support a rise in gas price. Always have. I'm sure we could find posts from years ago saying such.

    Anyway, that's a far cry from:

    the US (and the west in general) has had absolutely zero interest in the long term stability in the M.E. or the wellbeing of its people.
    Better check your rhetoric before you appear to be a sociopath projecting. Your complete denial of empathy therein is not much different than calling for nukes; either way, a group of people are deemed subhuman.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 06-11-15 at 10:46 PM.

  7. #87
    Guru
    PIPEWRENCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,135

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    I'm not going to suggest that the ME would have been some kind of haven if we did not intervene, but the acts undertaken by the west in the M.E. pretty clearly reveal that arabic oil has been more important to us than arabic people.

    EDIT: Would just like to say that I feel my sentiments are corroborated by some of the despicable things people post on this very forum and in this very thread. I wish I could say that post 77 was anomalous but it's really a very common thoguht about the middle east. I guess if you searched "nuke" and "middle east" throughout the forum there would be a very uncomfortable number of results.
    I was poking fun with my post. However I think the Middle East could easily still be centuries away from peace.

  8. #88
    Professor
    Glowpun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The US, via NATO, screwed up Libya. We are funding, arming and training Islamic "moderate" fundamentalists. That started with OBL, and continues in Libya, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Chechnya, and who knows where else. USA money and arms and training keeps the Syrian debacle afire, keeps the Iraq debacle afire, created the Libya fire and our arms support the Yemen fire. Good money in war, don't ya' know?
    Big profits for the arms and related industries. No wonder the world hates America. It no longer is what it was. Sadly, this country will pay for it big time coupled with weak and incompetent leaders. Like at the end of the Roman empire when all it could produce were weak emperors unable to stem the tide of history. This is where America is coming into.

  9. #89
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    03-12-17 @ 09:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    848

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    It isn't that the U.S. as a nation and her people have an interest in destabilizing the ME, but rather that the Establishment has a vested interest in destabilization in general.

    Crisis creates opportunity; enemies create angst among the masses, which allows them to be manipulated... if these things do not exist on their own, it only makes sense that the Establishment would do everything in their power to create those conditions.

    It is why the Establishment, i.e. the central bankers and blue bloods who control most of our money and institutions installed the communists in Russia and China. It is why, after WW II the U.S. intelligence agencies (which do the bidding of the Establishment) embarked upon Operation Gladio and knowingly facilitated terrorist acts that killed hundreds if not thousands of innocent Europeans. It is why our government, to this day engages in false flag events to rile the masses.

    It is why the dollar is being destabilized, it is why the debt is being run up, etc... there is much more to come.

    It's sad that the vast majority of people can't see how they are being lied to or being manipulated, but the writing is on the wall - all one need do is take their rose colored glasses off and look at things objectively. Given the constant drumbeat of indoctrination and misinformation, that is not likely to ever happen though.

  10. #90
    Professor
    Glowpun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Have we (the US) screwed up the Middle East?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Mistake number one. Bush should not have invaded Iraq.

    Mistake number two. Everything Obama has done in Libya, Egypt, Iraq, Syria and Yemen.
    Signs of the times. The US has produced for some time weak and incompetent leaders.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •