View Poll Results: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgeries

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah

    11 20.00%
  • No

    44 80.00%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

  1. #71
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,147

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Self explanatory. Do you think the government should pay, or help pay, or subsidize insurance companies, or in any other way funnel money toward assisting people to undergo gender reassignment surgeries?

    If so, to what extent?
    If I may ask, what prompted this question?
    To date, William Henry Harrison has more Presidential accomplishments than Donald Trump

  2. #72
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    03-12-17 @ 09:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    848

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by zom View Post
    Is the Constitution more of a source of objective morality or is it more of a set of general guidelines for which to follow and importantly amend as society progresses?
    Wow...

    It is neither - it was intended to be an unambiguous document that established the FedGov and empowered it to certain enumerated powers. If any power is not specifically granted to the FedGov in the Constitution, the FedGov does not possess that power.

    It is the rule of law which governs the government. It does not restrict you and I as citizens, it restricts the government.

    It is not a "democratic" document, it is a republican document. It is a republican document that affords for change by way of an amendment process - but our Founding Fathers wisely made that process a difficult one with deliberately high hurdles - so as to prevent any frivolous law, or emotional reactions to something by the masses from being able to simply change the Constitution on a whim.

    Anyone who thinks they are sooooo right that the government should implement their will with the force of law, outside of the Constitutions bounds, is someone who cares nothing about the rights of any citizen; of course all the while proclaiming that they are acting and petitioning in the name of someones rights.

    The bottom line for the Constitution?? If something isn't specifically granted in the Constitution, the FedGov doesn't have the power to engage in it. It certainly doesn't have the power to engage in medical care, education, policing, or sex change... wow, just wow!!

  3. #73
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by zom View Post
    My feelings? The ones on the facts which you either don't have a grasp on, or (my guess) are being voluntarily ignorant and disingenuously making clearly ridiculous claims about? Those ones or the other ones?
    You have expressed your feelings as if they were fact. What's the difference between augmentation mammoplasty in a man or a woman if the woman just wants bigger ones and a man wants totally fake ones? They are both elective surgeries and should be paid for by the individual, not the public.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #74
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    How about this guy? Should tax dollars have been used to help pay for him becoming this?

    Attachment 67185329
    According to some liberals, becoming a lizard is a human right and the public should pay.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    02-16-16 @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    88

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Says the guy equating a man emulating a lizard's appearance, likely for fun, to a large group of severely distressed individuals who have a common condition that has been studied and is widely understood to be a common cause of a certain set of physical conditions in the brain, and feel immense, incurable mental unrest all in a similar way.

    From what I've seen in your posts, your entire worldview hinges on disingenuity as a basis, and this instance surely doesn't deviate far. Your reasoning doesn't ever stray from "Hurr god" or "This is just PC" (which doesn't really exist but okay) or some unsuited metaphor.

    Here's a suggestion: try arguing without the use of buzzwords, an appeal to authority, or the injection of your unfounded, and plainly mean, opinions. Then maybe your "arguments" will elevate themselves to a new level of clarity so that even you can see that your reasoning is nonsensical.

    I expect a deflection post with a hint of disingenuous jabbing and false equivalents as a reply. Or maybe a logical sequence of reason stripped of logical fallacies, deflections, and disingenuity? (UNLIKELY)

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    02-16-16 @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    88

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    See, and that's the biggest reason why I don't support paying for the surgery, but paying for therapy. The issues go far deeper than physical anatomy, and like you say, the evidence that it doesn't actually solve anything is solid.
    That's not even true though. The fact that this is being used falsely speaks volumes about the side that includes it in their arguments.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    02-16-16 @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    88

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    You have expressed your feelings as if they were fact. What's the difference between augmentation mammoplasty in a man or a woman if the woman just wants bigger ones and a man wants totally fake ones? They are both elective surgeries and should be paid for by the individual, not the public.
    It's called context, and rightists love to perpetually ignore it to fallaciously argue points. The difference is circumstance, context, reason, etc. This isn't hard, and you know it. Cut out the ingenuity. It's quite obvious that a logical person who is emotionally sound would support a mammoplasty that lowers ridiculously high, documentable distress via GDD but not elective surgery on a person who doesn't have a mental disorder that would be alleviated by such. There is constantly this false dilemma being created by those who deliberately ignore context to further an unsound argument.

  8. #78
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,303
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    No, it's really not self explanatory. Why don't you explain?



    Why not?




    There is hardcore scientific proof. And if "forcing people to have their tax money go into such a thing" is such a high bar, why don't members of the public who are anti-war get to veto military spending? How is that different from funding medical treatments?



    The illness doesn't come from being different. It comes from having to repress that difference. It's the same way that parents sometimes force left-handed children to become right-handed. It makes them more "normal", but it actually does lasting damage to their minds. It isn't being "abnormal" that creates a problem, it's suppressing that difference.



    No facial reconstruction surgery for car crash victims, either? That's elective cosmetic surgery.

    It's not the role of government to pay for that.

  9. #79
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Self explanatory. Do you think the government should pay, or help pay, or subsidize insurance companies, or in any other way funnel money toward assisting people to undergo gender reassignment surgeries?

    If so, to what extent?
    No, neither should the government pay for elective cosmetic surgery and verious other forms of medical overconsumption.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •