View Poll Results: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgeries

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah

    11 20.00%
  • No

    44 80.00%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79

Thread: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

  1. #61
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by zom View Post
    I've noticed a continuing trend of staunch disingenuity from the opposing side, and it's really quite telling for anyone on the sidelines and the opposing side. To be frank I'm getting a strong dose of secondhand embarrassment from it.

    Comparing a surgery which addresses a long term, widespread, largely studied form of intense, life-threatening distress that is only alleviated via these procedures with a god damn boob job. How plainly embarrassing, honestly. I'd hate to feel obligated to conjure up "arguments" to adhere to a political ideology which favors such insanity.
    Nonsense. Bruce Jenner made the transformation because he's hanging out with the Kardashians who happen to be masters of self promotion. It's his body and I don't care what he does with it but his gender confusion is far from an intense life threatening ailment. I don't care if anyone wants to cross dress or get plastic surgery. The public shouldn't pay for it and that was the original question.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    02-16-16 @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    88

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Nonsense. Bruce Jenner made the transformation because he's hanging out with the Kardashians who happen to be masters of self promotion. It's his body and I don't care what he does with it but his gender confusion is far from an intense life threatening ailment. I don't care if anyone wants to cross dress or get plastic surgery. The public shouldn't pay for it and that was the original question.
    "Nonsense" isn't an argument, and neither is poorly executed, and very likely uninformed, speculation. I guess it's easier to shrug this off and disingenuously speculate, effectively playing with other peoples' livelihoods when they don't have an emotional tie to you.

    Yes, the Kardashians are ridiculous. Yes, Jenner is likely a narcissistic attention whore. These have nothing to do with GDD. No one would do this sort of drastic thing out of the need for attention and validation - have you met a trans person before, specifically one who is pre-everything, not out and such?

    What you're suggesting reeks of ignorance, prejudice, and dogma, and again is embarrassing. These people go through hell, and their suicide rates are through the roof. Spin it however you want, a large portion of trans people are dying because of their dysphoria and you people are likening the alleviation to cosmetics and saying it's not life threatening while so many of their lives are ending prematurely due in part to those same people.

  3. #63
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by zom View Post
    "Nonsense" isn't an argument, and neither is poorly executed, and very likely uninformed, speculation. I guess it's easier to shrug this off and disingenuously speculate, effectively playing with other peoples' livelihoods when they don't have an emotional tie to you.

    Yes, the Kardashians are ridiculous. Yes, Jenner is likely a narcissistic attention whore. These have nothing to do with GDD. No one would do this sort of drastic thing out of the need for attention and validation - have you met a trans person before, specifically one who is pre-everything, not out and such?

    What you're suggesting reeks of ignorance, prejudice, and dogma, and again is embarrassing. These people go through hell, and their suicide rates are through the roof. Spin it however you want, a large portion of trans people are dying because of their dysphoria and you people are likening the alleviation to cosmetics and saying it's not life threatening while so many of their lives are ending prematurely due in part to those same people.
    Nonsense is a precise term which describes my opinion of your feelings.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    02-16-16 @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    88

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Nonsense is a precise term which describes my opinion of your feelings.
    My feelings? The ones on the facts which you either don't have a grasp on, or (my guess) are being voluntarily ignorant and disingenuously making clearly ridiculous claims about? Those ones or the other ones?

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,465

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    No, an extremely expensive elective procedure that is not necessary shouldn't receive government funding. Why should someone get that to alter how their body looks which in no way contributes positively to society. It shouldn't be up to taxpayers to fund designer 'gina's or designer dicks and titts.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #66
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    05-22-17 @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Elective surgery. Should the government pay for boob jobs?
    How about this guy? Should tax dollars have been used to help pay for him becoming this?

    Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?-4_lizzardbro-jpg
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #67
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    05-22-17 @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by zom View Post
    I've noticed a continuing trend of staunch disingenuity from the opposing side…
    Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?-pot-kettle-black-jpg
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,302

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    I am very empathetic and sympathetic to gender identity issues, but I have to draw the line here. I say 'no' to government money being used for reassignment surgery, though I would be fine with helping with therapy, etc.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

  9. #69
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,302

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    You have to be fairly committed to defrauding the government to willingly undergo sexual reassignment surgery just to "stick it to the man."
    Nice pun.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

  10. #70
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,302

    Re: Should tax dollars be used for gender reassignment surgery?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    No. I'm a proponent of single-payer healthcare for the most part, but I don't think that the public should have to pay for voluntary cosmetic surgery, which is what gender reassignment is.

    As far as it being a treatment for gender dysphoria, the available evidence points to people who have the surgery being just as unhappy as those who don't, so it doesn't seem to be much of a cure. If it actually worked, I might feel differently about the public paying for it.
    See, and that's the biggest reason why I don't support paying for the surgery, but paying for therapy. The issues go far deeper than physical anatomy, and like you say, the evidence that it doesn't actually solve anything is solid.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •