View Poll Results: Do you believe George W Bush was a good president?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 29.03%
  • No

    66 70.97%
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 255

Thread: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

  1. #211
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,096

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What you are trying to argue is that every miscalculation and error is the same. Iraq was a major blunder of epic proportions, unlike the errors that you speak of. If Cheney/Rumsfield had done their homework we would not have the mess that we have today. They expected that we would be treated as liberators and expected to be in an out in under 6 months. Iraq is probably one of the worst blunders of foreign policy in our history.
    We were treated like liberators. In fact even the leftwing press admitted that it was working for awhile and was having positive effect on other ME countries. How short a memory the American people have. What they didn't figure on was the rise and persistence of the Islamic terrorist organizations. Miscalculation? Absolutely. Worst foreign policy blunder? Not by a long shot.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #212
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,800

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    We were treated like liberators. In fact even the leftwing press admitted that it was working for awhile and was having positive effect on other ME countries. How short a memory the American people have. What they didn't figure on was the rise and persistence of the Islamic terrorist organizations. Miscalculation? Absolutely. Worst foreign policy blunder? Not by a long shot.
    Greetings, AlbqOwl.

    I hope I am recalling correctly, but I seem to remember the photos showing how proud women were to show their purple fingers after they were once again permitted to vote - a privilege Saddam had apparently taken away from them!

  3. #213
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,801

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, AlbqOwl.

    I hope I am recalling correctly, but I seem to remember the photos showing how proud women were to show their purple fingers after they were once again permitted to vote - a privilege Saddam had apparently taken away from them!
    You remember right: The purple finger remains a hopeful symbol in Iraq, as Iraqis go to the polls | Public Radio International

  4. #214
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,096

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, AlbqOwl.

    I hope I am recalling correctly, but I seem to remember the photos showing how proud women were to show their purple fingers after they were once again permitted to vote - a privilege Saddam had apparently taken away from them!
    Yes. And there were the stories of American surgeons attaching prosthetic hands to Iraqi people Saddam had mutilated plus providing medical care to people who had been denied that for a very long time, the infrastructure and schools that were being restored, and the malnourished children who were being fed properly for the first time in a decade of sanctions.

    I didn't take time to look it up, but I recall in FAIR and PEW studies that in 2003 and early 2004, all the alphabet and cable networks, including MSNBC, were running far more positive than negative reports of the war, the circumstances, and the results, back then. And as winds of freedom began to blow across the Middle East, some of Bush's strongest critics had to acknowledge that his prophecy for a new appreciation of liberty in the aftermath of the war seemed to be coming true. But again, they did not calculate the determination and persistence and effectiveness of Islamic extremism that frightened all those hopes for freedom back underground and that methodically began creating havoc wherever they could. American memories and interpretations tend to be short and fickle. And now there are those with no sense or knowledge of history who believe it was all bad who see George Bush as some sort of demon who maliciously did all bad and nothing good.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #215
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,185

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    From here in the cheap seats, I'd say George W. Bush was a good President. He is/was an honest man, a fine attribute to have following the Clinton administration. He also served, from the very beginning, in very trying times for the United States and for the most part managed that well. He came into office as the Clinton tech boom was going bust, quickly found the country attacked on 9/11, worked to bring calm and strength to the American people after the fact, introduced economic policies that helped the country's economy recover quickly and move to virtual full employment and when the housing bubble burst, another matter not of his making, his administration pushed for the TARP relief that brought the country back from the brink. Add to this his attempts, from the White House, to move the issues of immigration reform and social security reform, and he can be seen as a strong man of principle who wasn't always successful in bring the country along with him - that's not necessarily a bad thing - and it brought both those issues into the consciousness of Americans.

    On balance, all things considered, he is a fine man and a fine President and has been a brilliant example of a former President since he left office.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  6. #216
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-16 @ 02:46 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    848

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    I'm a constitutionalist, i.e. a true republican; as such, I necessarily aligned with conservatives against the obviously vile liberals and Democratic Party.

    That said, conservatives have really gone off the reservation and morphed almost fully into neocons. As neocons, they are committed to war, war, and more war; and to building up the domestic police state - not to mention conveniently handing over victory after victory to the progressives as they bankrupt our country and build up their version of the nanny state.

    Those are the acceptable parameters within which each of the Establishment parties operates as they enslave us (for our own good) under a fascist police/nanny state.

    For those of us who love liberty and freedom - there is nowhere left to turn.

    Those things said, George Bush was a terrible President. As is Obama, as was Clinton, and so on...

    The only decent President we've had since Howard Taft (only b/c he resisted the Money Trust to whatever extent) was Kennedy; and, when he defied the Establishment he paid for it with his life.

    America is broke, our Constitution is in tatters, the citizens have been dumbed down into morons... America is all-but dead.
    Last edited by wist43; 06-07-15 at 01:12 PM.

  7. #217
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,096

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    From here in the cheap seats, I'd say George W. Bush was a good President. He is/was an honest man, a fine attribute to have following the Clinton administration. He also served, from the very beginning, in very trying times for the United States and for the most part managed that well. He came into office as the Clinton tech boom was going bust, quickly found the country attacked on 9/11, worked to bring calm and strength to the American people after the fact, introduced economic policies that helped the country's economy recover quickly and move to virtual full employment and when the housing bubble burst, another matter not of his making, his administration pushed for the TARP relief that brought the country back from the brink. Add to this his attempts, from the White House, to move the issues of immigration reform and social security reform, and he can be seen as a strong man of principle who wasn't always successful in bring the country along with him - that's not necessarily a bad thing - and it brought both those issues into the consciousness of Americans.

    On balance, all things considered, he is a fine man and a fine President and has been a brilliant example of a former President since he left office.
    He has been an exemplary ex-President. He was a huge disappointment to me in the policies pushed as President in several different areas as I previously posted, but I had no criticism of him as an American, a Christian, a man. And he did get some things right for which his critics of course wish to give him no credit.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #218
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,096

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    And as for his press both here at home and in Iraq immediately following the war, had things not gone so sour in the years to come, there would be little to fault President Bush on re Iraq:









    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3

    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #219
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,185

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    And as for his press both here at home and in Iraq immediately following the war, had things not gone so sour in the years to come, there would be little to fault President Bush on re Iraq:
    Good afternoon AO - hope all is well,

    And you're absolutely right. Many forget that America and the "coalition of the willing" were welcomed as liberators in Iraq following the surrender of Baghdad. However, what is also forgotten and conflated as "losing the war" or Iraqis not supporting the US is the disastrous job Paul Bremer, the US head of state in Iraq following the war, who totally botched the victory. He not only sent home, with their guns, the entire Iraqi military, but he also allowed roving bands of the lawless to loot and destroy much of the city's and the country's treasures and he thus lost complete control of the situation. There were hundreds of thousands of armed soldiers, with no work and no prospects, left to fend for themselves without any organization or guidance and thus the country devolved into chaos and sectarian violence. Rumsfield put Bremer in place, so I blame his inattention and poor planning as well. But ultimately it has to rest on Bush's shoulders although I don't blame him personally. His Secretary of Defense and his Secretary of State both failed him when it mattered most.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,232

    Re: Do you believe Bush was a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    GWB looks good by comparison to his successor.
    Do you believe Bush was a good president?-crosseye-jpg

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •