View Poll Results: Was I wrong to ask her to stop?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 4.44%
  • No

    43 95.56%
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 194

Thread: Was I wrong?

  1. #181
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist
    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    41,163

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I didnt really admit to being in the wrong. I apologized for any misunderstanding and that I'd try to be more attentive. I never said I was sorry for discriminating or whatever the term is she thinks I did or was going to do.
    Well get used to apologizing and as long as it's to the right people, Sangha will love ya for it. Sincerely hope that gives you all the validation you need.

    I'll bow out now.

  2. #182
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well get used to apologizing and as long as it's to the right people, Sangha will love ya for it. Sincerely hope that gives you all the validation you need.

    I'll bow out now.
    I think you should continue contributing your valuable insights to this thread. I think we can all benefit from having a diversity of viewpoints
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #183
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,060

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    The OP said that the lady didn't really "win" this but I guarantee you, she thinks she did. Now she's got an apology and an admission that he was the one in the wrong. This'll just encourage her.
    Exactly. Hence my belief she WILL be a problem again.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #184
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Athletics aren't important? I hear this a lot. So I am just curious. Are athletics less important than the arts?
    Stop putting words in my mouth. Nowhere in that post did I say that athletics were not important.

    There are other things that are equally as important, though, like music and arts. But because most people are more interested in football games, they'd rather the money go to the athletic program than music or arts.

    This is very common and very sad. Music and the arts should be a very important part of a child's growth. Not everybody can play football. Not everybody wants to play football. But one shouldn't be cut so the other can thrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  5. #185
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    The OP said that the lady didn't really "win" this but I guarantee you, she thinks she did. Now she's got an apology and an admission that he was the one in the wrong. This'll just encourage her.
    Don't forget she also has a job now - his assistant coach. Now she gets to watch over his every move, and complain every chance she gets. He's completely going to be under a microscope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  6. #186
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,060

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Stop putting words in my mouth. Nowhere in that post did I say that athletics were not important.

    There are other things that are equally as important, though, like music and arts. But because most people are more interested in football games, they'd rather the money go to the athletic program than music or arts.

    This is very common and very sad. Music and the arts should be a very important part of a child's growth. Not everybody can play football. Not everybody wants to play football. But one shouldn't be cut so the other can thrive.
    It was your tone. I went through several education courses while in college. I heard that speech MANY times. My problem is how often people condemn organized sports. I learned a lot form organized sports. I'm actually glad I spent a lot of time on a losing team. I know how to lose now.

    But let me ask you...why can't you mix the 2? I don't care about learning music, can't play instrument or sing, and I really don't care about painting or sculptures. But ballet? Love it. I don't do it, but I appreciate it. As an athlete and someone who enjoys music.

    No. I resent the anti sport mentality. You may not be, and I made an assumption. That was wrong. But you do understand why I would want to emphasize the importance right?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #187
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,794

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Stop putting words in my mouth. Nowhere in that post did I say that athletics were not important.

    There are other things that are equally as important, though, like music and arts. But because most people are more interested in football games, they'd rather the money go to the athletic program than music or arts.

    This is very common and very sad. Music and the arts should be a very important part of a child's growth. Not everybody can play football. Not everybody wants to play football. But one shouldn't be cut so the other can thrive.
    the frequent quandary is that there is a limited pot of money available for all of the programs: sports, music, and the other arts
    if what you are presenting is that one or more should not be eliminated so that those funds can be dedicated to another (sports program, for instance), then i agree with your take
    but if you are expecting each program to operate with the same amount of financial resources, i must take exception
    what are the wants and needs of the served public? that should be the gauge used to evaluate how the resources for such programs should be allocated. and if the emergence of lacrosse consumes some of the program resources that might otherwise have been given over to sculpting, ballet, and jazz ensemble (as an example), to allow a wider audience of the public to be served, then that would seem to be a good thing. not so much if that hierarchy of spending is not objectively formulated

    and altho i remain highly critical of the actions of the park & rec staff's response to this incident, one of the factors that could have driven their weak decisions was that potential litigation might absorb limited monies which would have to be dedicated to the legal battle should it evolve
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    No BILLIONAIRE left behind!
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?

  8. #188
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    It was your tone. I went through several education courses while in college. I heard that speech MANY times. My problem is how often people condemn organized sports. I learned a lot form organized sports. I'm actually glad I spent a lot of time on a losing team. I know how to lose now.

    But let me ask you...why can't you mix the 2? I don't care about learning music, can't play instrument or sing, and I really don't care about painting or sculptures. But ballet? Love it. I don't do it, but I appreciate it. As an athlete and someone who enjoys music.

    No. I resent the anti sport mentality. You may not be, and I made an assumption. That was wrong. But you do understand why I would want to emphasize the importance right?
    You made an incorrect assumption. I think that a good, solid, well-rounded education includes both. All kids need physical education, and sports are an important part of that. Some kids, that's the only way they'll make it to college is with a sports scholarship. But music is extremely important too, and should not be set aside so the football team can have brand new uniforms every year. I live in the south. Music, the arts and academics are just not as important to some people as a winning football team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  9. #189
    Actually I am.

    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the frequent quandary is that there is a limited pot of money available for all of the programs: sports, music, and the other arts
    if what you are presenting is that one or more should not be eliminated so that those funds can be dedicated to another (sports program, for instance), then i agree with your take
    but if you are expecting each program to operate with the same amount of financial resources, i must take exception
    what are the wants and needs of the served public? that should be the gauge used to evaluate how the resources for such programs should be allocated. and if the emergence of lacrosse consumes some of the program resources that might otherwise have been given over to sculpting, ballet, and jazz ensemble (as an example), to allow a wider audience of the public to be served, then that would seem to be a good thing. not so much if that hierarchy of spending is not objectively formulated

    and altho i remain highly critical of the actions of the park & rec staff's response to this incident, one of the factors that could have driven their weak decisions was that potential litigation might absorb limited monies which would have to be dedicated to the legal battle should it evolve
    Honestly, what the public wants should not matter in a high school situation. What is important is that the students have a well-rounded education. I'm not going to say that having a winning sports team is terrible because of course it's not. Everyone wants to go to a school where they have a winning team. It helps the school, and it helps the community. But it is not the most important thing, and it should not drive what the students take in school. Students need options, and sometimes those options are stripped in favor of funneling more money into the sports programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  10. #190
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,794

    Re: Was I wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Honestly, what the public wants should not matter in a high school situation. What is important is that the students have a well-rounded education. I'm not going to say that having a winning sports team is terrible because of course it's not. Everyone wants to go to a school where they have a winning team. It helps the school, and it helps the community. But it is not the most important thing, and it should not drive what the students take in school. Students need options, and sometimes those options are stripped in favor of funneling more money into the sports programs.
    then it would seem your complaint is that sports are over-funded relative to the other extra-curricular activities
    not that long ago, there was a similar complaint that male dominated sports received a disproportionate share of the available budget compared to activities in which female students participated
    and that was found to be a legitimate complaint, causing funding for sports activities for female students to be better funded. this was usually at the expense of male student dominated sports
    so, it would seem that same court system that effected that significant change is available to respond to your charge. is there enough interest to proceed with the case? or is the objection held by too few to warrant proceeding with similar litigation?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    No BILLIONAIRE left behind!
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •