View Poll Results: Do you care?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • The government should never violate the Constitution

    47 85.45%
  • I don't care as long as I like the results of the violation

    2 3.64%
  • It should be only violated in exterme emgerancies

    4 7.27%
  • The constitution is outdated and should be thrown away

    2 3.64%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 130

Thread: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

  1. #1
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,366
    Blog Entries
    10

    Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Simple question do you care if the Government violates the Constitution?

  2. #2
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Bait thread alert!
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #3
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,366
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Bait thread alert!
    Not really, just asking a question.

  4. #4
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Not really, just asking a question.
    The point is our government at various levels violates the Constitution already in a multitude of ways. No matter how you answer the question, it is all voided by the point of view on the power of the Constitution as a government limitation device. It is no longer such a document, as such the better question is the Constitution relevant any longer?
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  5. #5
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,302

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Simple question do you care if the Government violates the Constitution?
    Whose interpretation of the constitution? Yours? Mine? Some bloggers? What about a blowhard on TV? I don't care if the government violates any laymen's interpretation of the constitution. I do care if the government violates the federal court system's interpretation of the constitution as that is the only one that really matters.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #6
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,352

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Yes, although that doesn't matter at this point in my life.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  7. #7
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Yes I do. But most outcries of constitutional violations are nothing more than partisan nonsense. Real violations are much more complicated and arcane than a talk radio soundbyte.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #8
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    03-12-17 @ 09:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    848

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Whose interpretation of the constitution? Yours? Mine? Some bloggers? What about a blowhard on TV? I don't care if the government violates any laymen's interpretation of the constitution. I do care if the government violates the federal court system's interpretation of the constitution as that is the only one that really matters.
    Well, the problem with that though is - the people sitting on our courts have themselves been indoctrinated into the same leftist worldviews that dominate our society. As such, almost everyone, including the people working in our courts and institutions, believe that government is, and should be, a positive force for "good".

    Once certain phrases and interpretations of the Constitution cleared the way for the government to do almost anything it wanted, unaccountable to anyone, our fate was sealed. Once "... promote the general welfare" became an empowering clause; and, "... necessary and proper" came to mean Dept's and agencies can make law; and the "...commerce clause" was expanded to give the FedGov almost dictatorial power over all commerce and business in the country; et al...

    Our Founding Fathers crafted a negative document that was intended to empower the FedGov with certain enumerated powers, and all other matters and concerns were to fall under the authority of the states and the people themselves. They warned that if the constrictive nature of the document were subverted or overwritten, as it has been today, that liberty will not last long thereafter.

    If we don't have the Constitution, i.e. the rule of law, to protect us from the government - then what does protect us from the government?? If the government can simply pass The Patriot Act, and render the 4th Amendment completely null and void - how is any citizen actually safe from such an unconstrained, unaccountable government??

    The lesson of government throughout history is - that governments will always, eventually come to terrorize and subjugate its citizens. We're well on to that condition now.

  9. #9
    Sage



    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,060
    Blog Entries
    30

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Bait thread alert!
    CP doesn't post bait threads.


    Thank you, Quazi!

  10. #10
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    over yonder
    Last Seen
    07-23-17 @ 08:56 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    853

    Re: Do you care if the Constitution is violated?

    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Well, the problem with that though is - the people sitting on our courts have themselves been indoctrinated into the same leftist worldviews that dominate our society. As such, almost everyone, including the people working in our courts and institutions, believe that government is, and should be, a positive force for "good".

    Once certain phrases and interpretations of the Constitution cleared the way for the government to do almost anything it wanted, unaccountable to anyone, our fate was sealed. Once "... promote the general welfare" became an empowering clause; and, "... necessary and proper" came to mean Dept's and agencies can make law; and the "...commerce clause" was expanded to give the FedGov almost dictatorial power over all commerce and business in the country; et al...

    Our Founding Fathers crafted a negative document that was intended to empower the FedGov with certain enumerated powers, and all other matters and concerns were to fall under the authority of the states and the people themselves. They warned that if the constrictive nature of the document were subverted or overwritten, as it has been today, that liberty will not last long thereafter.

    If we don't have the Constitution, i.e. the rule of law, to protect us from the government - then what does protect us from the government?? If the government can simply pass The Patriot Act, and render the 4th Amendment completely null and void - how is any citizen actually safe from such an unconstrained, unaccountable government??

    The lesson of government throughout history is - that governments will always, eventually come to terrorize and subjugate its citizens. We're well on to that condition now.
    I wish i could click on ( like) but it disappeared. If the people will get organized we can still break off in the govs. backsides.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •