View Poll Results: Should pit bulls be banned?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 15.69%
  • No

    36 70.59%
  • Maybe

    2 3.92%
  • Other

    5 9.80%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 119

Thread: Should pit bulls be banned?

  1. #81
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,956

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    If brought up correctly and not put in a position where it needs to defend itself, a pit bull will not cause harm to people. I had a pitbull for 8 years and it was the sweetest dog i have ever had to be completely honest.

    Well apparently bringing up a pit bull properly is a lot harder than bringing up a lab or a collie properly. Labs and lab-mixes are everywhere and have owners ranging from Ceasar Milan-esque to utterly neglectful, yet they don't come near to the stats for pits and rotts maiming, mauling or killing people.



    And what some dogs consider "a position where they need to defend their self" really isn't. Dogs can develop fear based, territorial or predatory habits where they may bite when there is no reason, and since these habits are not usually directed at the dog's owner he may not notice until too late.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,956

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    My youngest niece currently has a brindle-striped pit bull. He was a rescue dog but they got him as a puppy, he was quite young. She's spent a lot of time with him, training him and socializing him, and she does well at keeping him under control.


    The problem is he DOES have to be kept under control. He's hyper and nervous, and small things can set him off into a paranoia of barking and threat display. She's not a big gal and has to use a control collar or she can't keep him from charging.


    Small children apparently scare the crap out of him and he has tried to attack several. Basically he has to be kept leashed when small children are present, because even the few he's gotten used to (my middle niece's kids for instance) can set him off if they move too fast or yell or something. He's lunged at them more than once, and it is to the point that their mother tries to avoid having them around her cousin's dog as much as possible.


    He's bad about attacking other dogs without provocation also.


    Like most pits he is monstrously strong and has powerful jaws... IF he ever really decides to maul someone they are in for a bad day, and he's already demonstrated that it is a possibility.


    I don't like it and frankly I wish she's get rid of that dog, but she's attached to him, so we deal with it.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,341

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Your neighbor could have been attacked by any kind of dog. I know people who had stitches because of bites from Basset Hounds, Jack Russells, Labs, Cocker Spaniels, Greyhounds, and so on. That isn't a reason to ban any of them. I've known pits for decades and never knew one who was aggressive.
    Could have been, but pits are responsible for a way disproportionate share of serious maulings and deaths. But I'll admit to being biased by my two close interactions - one with a Rottweiler, and another with a pit mix. The eery and really troubling thing about both attacks was how calm the dogs were afterwards. It was like they did a job, were done with it, and now could go lay down. But the "job" was a serious attack, one on a human and dog, the other on a dog that didn't do anything at all to provoke it and had lived next door to it for YEARS. Very troubling up close, and it definitely affects my perception of the two breeds. I've never seen or been attacked by any other breeds, either. Lots of dogs nearby with huge barks, but they're chickens, bored. Been bit by several small dogs - it's an annoyance.

    No, most pits are not bred to fight and kill. That is a fact. There are some who are owned by trash in the inner cities and trailer parks. Those are bred for dog fighting
    Most pits are not bred to be fighters and will never be in a position to fight or feel a desire to fight. Being in their "gene pool" isn't relevant. You need to do some research before making false claims.
    Yes, their genetic history is relevant. Most labs aren't "bred" to retrieve anymore - not much duck hunting going on in the nearby suburbs - but many generations of selective breeding nearly guarantee that a lab doesn't need to be taught to retrieve, unlike my two mutts who when you throw a ball look at me with amusement - as in "Yeah, good throw! Now what???"

    I guess we'll agree to disagree. I approve of the local shelter putting them down because I don't want idiots in charge of raising pit bulls. If you want to foster them, I commend you, but given the opportunity I'd vote to require owning them carry with it proof of the ability to manage a dog that has a long history of deadly attacks and serious maimings, of family members, their owners, and innocent bystanders. I wouldn't allow any child I was responsible for anywhere near a pit bull not chained or fenced.

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,341

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    My youngest niece currently has a brindle-striped pit bull. He was a rescue dog but they got him as a puppy, he was quite young. She's spent a lot of time with him, training him and socializing him, and she does well at keeping him under control.

    The problem is he DOES have to be kept under control. He's hyper and nervous, and small things can set him off into a paranoia of barking and threat display. She's not a big gal and has to use a control collar or she can't keep him from charging.

    Small children apparently scare the crap out of him and he has tried to attack several. Basically he has to be kept leashed when small children are present, because even the few he's gotten used to (my middle niece's kids for instance) can set him off if they move too fast or yell or something. He's lunged at them more than once, and it is to the point that their mother tries to avoid having them around her cousin's dog as much as possible.

    He's bad about attacking other dogs without provocation also.

    Like most pits he is monstrously strong and has powerful jaws... IF he ever really decides to maul someone they are in for a bad day, and he's already demonstrated that it is a possibility.

    I don't like it and frankly I wish she's get rid of that dog, but she's attached to him, so we deal with it.
    That story is a perfect illustration of why I voted to ban the breed. I've just never heard similar stories about labs or golden retrievers or poodles or schnauzers or most mixed breeds. Having to worry even one second about a deadly attack is one second too many in my view.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,933

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    My youngest niece currently has a brindle-striped pit bull. He was a rescue dog but they got him as a puppy, he was quite young. She's spent a lot of time with him, training him and socializing him, and she does well at keeping him under control.


    The problem is he DOES have to be kept under control. He's hyper and nervous, and small things can set him off into a paranoia of barking and threat display. She's not a big gal and has to use a control collar or she can't keep him from charging.


    Small children apparently scare the crap out of him and he has tried to attack several. Basically he has to be kept leashed when small children are present, because even the few he's gotten used to (my middle niece's kids for instance) can set him off if they move too fast or yell or something. He's lunged at them more than once, and it is to the point that their mother tries to avoid having them around her cousin's dog as much as possible.


    He's bad about attacking other dogs without provocation also.


    Like most pits he is monstrously strong and has powerful jaws... IF he ever really decides to maul someone they are in for a bad day, and he's already demonstrated that it is a possibility.


    I don't like it and frankly I wish she's get rid of that dog, but she's attached to him, so we deal with it.
    I would never let my kids around that dog... ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  6. #86
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your left... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,545

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    If brought up correctly and not put in a position where it needs to defend itself, a pit bull will not cause harm to people. I had a pitbull for 8 years and it was the sweetest dog i have ever had to be completely honest.
    That's great. It really is. Doesn't counter the fact that they have proven to be far more unpredictable than pretty much every other breed, though.
    Huntsman / Kasich 2020

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,956

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's great. It really is. Doesn't counter the fact that they have proven to be far more unpredictable than pretty much every other breed, though.


    Apparently you need a PhD in Dogology to bring a pit bull up right, since I've seen many that were well-raised and still kind of problematic.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #88
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    My youngest niece currently has a brindle-striped pit bull. He was a rescue dog but they got him as a puppy, he was quite young. She's spent a lot of time with him, training him and socializing him, and she does well at keeping him under control.


    The problem is he DOES have to be kept under control. He's hyper and nervous, and small things can set him off into a paranoia of barking and threat display. She's not a big gal and has to use a control collar or she can't keep him from charging.


    Small children apparently scare the crap out of him and he has tried to attack several. Basically he has to be kept leashed when small children are present, because even the few he's gotten used to (my middle niece's kids for instance) can set him off if they move too fast or yell or something. He's lunged at them more than once, and it is to the point that their mother tries to avoid having them around her cousin's dog as much as possible.


    He's bad about attacking other dogs without provocation also.


    Like most pits he is monstrously strong and has powerful jaws... IF he ever really decides to maul someone they are in for a bad day, and he's already demonstrated that it is a possibility.


    I don't like it and frankly I wish she's get rid of that dog, but she's attached to him, so we deal with it.
    Your entire post is what supports the "bad owner" problem. You say she can't control the dog, you say the dog is lunging at small children and he has tried to "attack several" small children, yet your niece insists in keeping the dog who is obviously not in the right environment. Not all dogs can be around children - and that isn't limited to pit bulls. But you will "deal with it" until one of these attacks you say this dog makes results in a tragedy, and you will blame the dog for it.

    Regarding these attacks on small children, did anyone report this to the authorities, by the way? Because it's illegal to have a dangerous dog who is knowingly attacking children. And has she taken the dog to a behaviorist? What is your niece's expertise in dog handling specifically?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #89
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,981

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Your entire post is what supports the "bad owner" problem. You say she can't control the dog, you say the dog is lunging at small children and he has tried to "attack several" small children, yet your niece insists in keeping the dog who is obviously not in the right environment. Not all dogs can be around children - and that isn't limited to pit bulls. But you will "deal with it" until one of these attacks you say this dog makes results in a tragedy, and you will blame the dog for it.

    Regarding these attacks on small children, did anyone report this to the authorities, by the way? Because it's illegal to have a dangerous dog who is knowingly attacking children. And has she taken the dog to a behaviorist? What is your niece's expertise in dog handling specifically?

    I would agree with that. We adopted a cocker from a older woman ( it was so sad the old lady had to go live with her son and he wouldn't let her keep her dog ) and she was a very good dog but after we had our daughter it starte to show that the dog just could not get along with children. She seemed almost jealous of her and ending up biting me. As hard as it was we ended up having to give her to away to an environment that suited her best.
    Is what you're living for today, worth dying for tomorrow?
    _____________________________________________

  10. #90
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,919

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well apparently bringing up a pit bull properly is a lot harder than bringing up a lab or a collie properly. Labs and lab-mixes are everywhere and have owners ranging from Ceasar Milan-esque to utterly neglectful, yet they don't come near to the stats for pits and rotts maiming, mauling or killing people.
    That is because pits and rotts can do more damage when they attack. Labs and collies attack too, its just when they do, the person walks away in most cases.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •