View Poll Results: Should pit bulls be banned?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 15.69%
  • No

    36 70.59%
  • Maybe

    2 3.92%
  • Other

    5 9.80%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 119

Thread: Should pit bulls be banned?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    12-07-16 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,921

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    [QUOTE=radcen;1064676573]Yes, and why is that? They are more popular with the irresponsible crowd because they have been bred to be more trainable to be aggressive and more apt to do what the irresponsible people want them to do. Irresponsible people choose this type of dog for a reason. There are bigger dogs. There are stronger dogs. This dog has the 'right' qualities combined to do what they want.[/QUOTE

    I think it is because these dogs look mean, and certain people want a dog that looks mean. But the dogs do have the muscular make up to be dangerous when they do attack. I don't know if they are bred to be more aggressive. You may be right.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    09-08-15 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaWindu View Post
    No . . why should they. What legitimate reason is there to "ban" pit bulls?
    The death and destruction they have caused. Not so much their fault, but it happens never the less.

  3. #53
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,109

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    The death and destruction they have caused. Not so much their fault, but it happens never the less.
    And given the possibility that whatever mental defect has been bred into these dogs, no matter how seldom it manifests itself, can cause the dog without provocation of any kind to attack a child or even its owner in the family, it just isn't worth the risk. And that has happened when the dog has been well trained to be social and is the lovable, affectionate dog that we all know a pit bull can be.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,496

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I have had and currently have a number of Rottweilers. Everyone is trained, socialized, is kept in a large fenced yard, lives in the house, walks on a leash and has been a wonderful companion and family member. Even though I trusted them with children, I always watched them around children not because I worried but because it's responsible. A hundred thirty five pound dog can knock a child down by turning it's head unexpectedly. The old axiom is there are no bad dogs,only bad owners is true enough. Anybody who keeps a dog on a chain or lets them run loose is not a responsible dog owner and they only look for trouble.
    I voted to ban pit bulls, and in part it's because of an experience I had with a Rottweiler. Was walking my little dog - schnauzer - and passed a woman with two Rottweilers. After we're about 70-80 yards apart, she's in a small field and lets the dogs off to play. They both come racing towards us - I pick up my dog just before they get onto us, the female rottweiler bit my dog in the hindquarters, and my arm, and just hangs on, tugging both of us. The other was circling us. Not a bark, not a growl, nothing. The woman runs up, they release and just sit there like nothing happened. Calm as can be.

    Point is that's their breeding at work. They'd simply done what they were bred to do - their genetic job. Of course, the woman tells me she's got kids, her dogs are loose all the time and get along with all other dogs, and the nearby children, never a problem ever!! Etc. All I know is I had two 100 pound dogs circling me and my dog, and they were BRED to kill one or both of us. She wasn't a bad owner, or if she was a bad owner, the bar is too damn high for someone not a trained dog trainer who is licensed to own such animals. Labs are the #1 dog in about 48 states - millions of "bad owners" and millions more labs than pit bulls. How many deadly attacks by labs each year?

    Had a similar experience with a pit mix who lived next door. Years - no problems. One night I'm walking the dogs, get near the house, and the pit mix just races across the road and takes out the male dog - grabs it by the hindquarters and has him on the ground, ON MY LEASH. I'm six feet away. I yell, kick the dog, he lets go and just walks back to its yard like nothing happened. Not a bark, not a growl, from the pit mix or my dogs.

    I told the owner - my neighbor - and he keeps the dog fenced almost all the time after that. But one day he lets the dogs out front while he's working in the garage and to use the bathroom and a 12 year old girl jogs by. The dog grabs her calf and does enough damage to require 3 surgeries to fix. The dog is 8yo at this point and it's the first time it's ever bitten anyone. So the dog is put down at this point. But my owner is a good guy, responsible, walks his dogs, etc.

    So, sure, owners of pit bulls can be "bad owners" but the problem is the pit bull has been selectively bred to fight and kill. So when it attacks, it does immense damage. I see no reason for non-trained individuals to own such dogs. If they do, fine, require them to get a liability policy to cover their dogs. Require them to demonstrate competence handling a dog bred to fight and kill.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    09-08-15 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I voted to ban pit bulls, and in part it's because of an experience I had with a Rottweiler. Was walking my little dog - schnauzer - and passed a woman with two Rottweilers. After we're about 70-80 yards apart, she's in a small field and lets the dogs off to play. They both come racing towards us - I pick up my dog just before they get onto us, the female rottweiler bit my dog in the hindquarters, and my arm, and just hangs on, tugging both of us. The other was circling us. Not a bark, not a growl, nothing. The woman runs up, they release and just sit there like nothing happened. Calm as can be.

    Point is that's their breeding at work. They'd simply done what they were bred to do - their genetic job. Of course, the woman tells me she's got kids, her dogs are loose all the time and get along with all other dogs, and the nearby children, never a problem ever!! Etc. All I know is I had two 100 pound dogs circling me and my dog, and they were BRED to kill one or both of us. She wasn't a bad owner, or if she was a bad owner, the bar is too damn high for someone not a trained dog trainer who is licensed to own such animals. Labs are the #1 dog in about 48 states - millions of "bad owners" and millions more labs than pit bulls. How many deadly attacks by labs each year?

    Had a similar experience with a pit mix who lived next door. Years - no problems. One night I'm walking the dogs, get near the house, and the pit mix just races across the road and takes out the male dog - grabs it by the hindquarters and has him on the ground, ON MY LEASH. I'm six feet away. I yell, kick the dog, he lets go and just walks back to its yard like nothing happened. Not a bark, not a growl, from the pit mix or my dogs.

    I told the owner - my neighbor - and he keeps the dog fenced almost all the time after that. But one day he lets the dogs out front while he's working in the garage and to use the bathroom and a 12 year old girl jogs by. The dog grabs her calf and does enough damage to require 3 surgeries to fix. The dog is 8yo at this point and it's the first time it's ever bitten anyone. So the dog is put down at this point. But my owner is a good guy, responsible, walks his dogs, etc.

    So, sure, owners of pit bulls can be "bad owners" but the problem is the pit bull has been selectively bred to fight and kill. So when it attacks, it does immense damage. I see no reason for non-trained individuals to own such dogs. If they do, fine, require them to get a liability policy to cover their dogs. Require them to demonstrate competence handling a dog bred to fight and kill.
    Run up to about 25 ft and the first round goes off in front of them. Second goes through closest ones head.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,596

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    The problem is the breed appeals to morons, " thugs " and bad ass wannabes who think a friken Dog is a status symbol.

    People with such a limited amount of intelligence to begin with now own something capable of locking onto a innocent kid

  7. #57
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,595

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    So, sure, owners of pit bulls can be "bad owners" but the problem is the pit bull has been selectively bred to fight and kill. So when it attacks, it does immense damage. I see no reason for non-trained individuals to own such dogs. If they do, fine, require them to get a liability policy to cover their dogs. Require them to demonstrate competence handling a dog bred to fight and kill.
    Very well said.

    The ownership requirments for a permit should also be extended to Cane Corsos, Presa Canarios, Dogo Agentinos and other exotic fighting breeds / meth lab and or crack shack guardians that are showing up here in increasing numbers. As a side note, two Cane Corsos recently killed an adult male in Michigan who was jogging on a rural road.

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Pit bulls are not a specific breed- they are a set of characteristics. You want to ban that?
    Ban? no. Establish the need for a permit to own or breed any dogs with certain characteristics such as Pit Bulls, Presa Canarios, etc? Yes.

    As Japser illustrated, no demonstrated competency, proof of liability etc, no permit.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 06-01-15 at 03:29 PM.

  8. #58
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,658

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    My pit bull was "the sweetest dog on the planet" too, until he mauled my six month old daughter to death.
    JESUS!!!

    I am SOOOOO sorry.

    I am changing my earlier statement.


    Say a county or a state banned pitbulls from their jurisdiction? How on Earth would the world measurably suffer from that banning (the question is rhetorical because the only rational answer is 'not at all')? These are non-sentient, subservient quadrupeds...not people.

    I would have zero problem if pitbulls (or any animal that can easily kill a child) were banned from non-police/military ownership in my country...none at all.
    There is ZERO need for a private citizen to own a deadly animal.
    And save the 'protection' nonsense. There are tons of weapons that one can own (even in a non-gun society) that can protect a household at least as good as a pitbull.
    Last edited by DA60; 06-01-15 at 04:22 PM.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  9. #59
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I voted to ban pit bulls, and in part it's because of an experience I had with a Rottweiler. Was walking my little dog - schnauzer - and passed a woman with two Rottweilers. After we're about 70-80 yards apart, she's in a small field and lets the dogs off to play. They both come racing towards us - I pick up my dog just before they get onto us, the female rottweiler bit my dog in the hindquarters, and my arm, and just hangs on, tugging both of us. The other was circling us. Not a bark, not a growl, nothing. The woman runs up, they release and just sit there like nothing happened. Calm as can be.

    Point is that's their breeding at work. They'd simply done what they were bred to do - their genetic job. Of course, the woman tells me she's got kids, her dogs are loose all the time and get along with all other dogs, and the nearby children, never a problem ever!! Etc. All I know is I had two 100 pound dogs circling me and my dog, and they were BRED to kill one or both of us. She wasn't a bad owner, or if she was a bad owner, the bar is too damn high for someone not a trained dog trainer who is licensed to own such animals. Labs are the #1 dog in about 48 states - millions of "bad owners" and millions more labs than pit bulls. How many deadly attacks by labs each year?

    Had a similar experience with a pit mix who lived next door. Years - no problems. One night I'm walking the dogs, get near the house, and the pit mix just races across the road and takes out the male dog - grabs it by the hindquarters and has him on the ground, ON MY LEASH. I'm six feet away. I yell, kick the dog, he lets go and just walks back to its yard like nothing happened. Not a bark, not a growl, from the pit mix or my dogs.

    I told the owner - my neighbor - and he keeps the dog fenced almost all the time after that. But one day he lets the dogs out front while he's working in the garage and to use the bathroom and a 12 year old girl jogs by. The dog grabs her calf and does enough damage to require 3 surgeries to fix. The dog is 8yo at this point and it's the first time it's ever bitten anyone. So the dog is put down at this point. But my owner is a good guy, responsible, walks his dogs, etc.

    So, sure, owners of pit bulls can be "bad owners" but the problem is the pit bull has been selectively bred to fight and kill. So when it attacks, it does immense damage. I see no reason for non-trained individuals to own such dogs. If they do, fine, require them to get a liability policy to cover their dogs. Require them to demonstrate competence handling a dog bred to fight and kill.
    I disagree with you whole heartedly. Large dogs who are protective by nature have to be socialized. When they are young they have to be introduced to small dogs and strange people if they are going to be well adjusted when they grow. Had the woman who owned the dogs you had an issue with had socialized her dogs and had controlled them when you saw them there wouldn't have been any issue.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  10. #60
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,658

    Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    The problem is the breed appeals to morons, " thugs " and bad ass wannabes who think a friken Dog is a status symbol.

    People with such a limited amount of intelligence to begin with now own something capable of locking onto a innocent kid
    You are right...though there are obviously exceptions. But most owners of deadly animals/snakes/etc. I have known were either dumb as posts or clearly were mentally unbalanced. And they owned these dogs for the very reasons you mentioned - some sort of bizarre status symbol...'Hey look how cool I am - I have a dog that could rip your throat out anytime I want it to'. And they would brag about it.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •