View Poll Results: Should be Rand Paul the candidate for the Republicans in 2016

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a right leaning American, yes

    12 25.53%
  • I'm a left leaning American, yes

    8 17.02%
  • I'm a right leaning American, no

    12 25.53%
  • I'm a left leaning American, no

    15 31.91%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 128

Thread: Rand Paul as President in 2016

  1. #31
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,901

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Just another neocon. We have had enough of those.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  2. #32
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,245

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by ConsvLiberal
    Should Rand Paul be the candidate for the Republicans in 2016?
    Rand Paul is a shallow grandstander prone to making insane comments.

    He would be a bad candidate for the party, which he wouldn't be able to unify, and that makes him a bad candidate for the election.

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXM/Sirius
    Jeb Bush is going to be the GOP nom., all the wishing and calling him 'not a good Republican', whatever that means, won't change the inevitable. He has the name, the money, the backing, and the political machine. Pencil him in now.
    Jeb's support among Republicans has collapsed in half since Walker and Rubio entered the race, and among Republicans he has net negatives (and some of the highest negatives), as well as being "acceptable" to only a minority of self-identified Republicans.


    Bush, at the same time, has even greater difficulties with personal favorability than Clinton, and a far weaker home base. He’s lost 11 points in support for the nomination among Republicans and GOP-leaning independents who are registered to vote, from a front-running 21 percent in March to 10 percent, smack alongside Scott Walker and Rand Paul (11 percent apiece) and Marco Rubio (10 percent). Mike Huckabee has 9 percent support, Ted Cruz and Ben Carson, 8 percent each

    In December, 63 percent of Republican voters said they could see themselves backing Bush, today it's just 49 percent.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  3. #33
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    738

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    What the GOP needs to win is a moderate that they will actually allow to run as a moderate. Of course, that won't happen as even if they get a moderate, they will force them to run so far to the right that they will be unelectable. Then they will claim they need a true conservative to win.
    Or the one they do get, will be incredibly unlikable ala Romney (Romney's strongly conservative views on social issues, imo, didn't help either).

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Jeb's support among Republicans has collapsed in half since Walker and Rubio entered the race, and among Republicans he has net negatives (and some of the highest negatives), as well as being "acceptable" to only a minority of self-identified Republicans.
    Hopefully Jeb's numbers keep dropping, personally I don't like any of the Republican candidates (Pataki I might like, but not like he'd have a chance), but not having a Jeb vs. Hilary general election would be great.
    Last edited by coyotedelmar; 06-03-15 at 09:41 AM.

  4. #34
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,285

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Lol...another one of these polls that only sees Americans as left or right leaning.

    Hello? There are tens of millions who are neither.

    Stop living in the 50's.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  5. #35
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,446

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Sounds like 2012 all over again with Romney and how at 1st it was said he didn't have a chance. There was even a term for the other candidates, they were the Not-Romney candidates. But he was still the nominee in the end.

    He was the GOP establishment's pick, he was seen as he most moderate(even though for some reason in the general election he ran waaay to the right, which killed him with the moderate voters), and he was seen to have the best chance to win. You got pretty much the same thing in 2016. Bush will be the GOP's establishment's pick, he's moderate(the difference is IMO Bush will tell the right wing loons to F off and he'll run as a moderate, where as Romney was a wussy and caved to the right wing), and he has the best chance to win.
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  6. #36
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,105

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Lol...another one of these polls that only sees Americans as left or right leaning.

    Hello? There are tens of millions who are neither.

    Stop living in the 50's.
    I couldn't respond either as I am independent and an "issues" voter (issues most important to me).

    Interesting that the number of burgeoning Independent voters is steadily rising while mainstream media gives independents little attention.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Rand Paul is a shallow grandstander prone to making insane comments.

    He would be a bad candidate for the party, which he wouldn't be able to unify, and that makes him a bad candidate for the election.



    Jeb's support among Republicans has collapsed in half since Walker and Rubio entered the race, and among Republicans he has net negatives (and some of the highest negatives), as well as being "acceptable" to only a minority of self-identified Republicans.


    Bush, at the same time, has even greater difficulties with personal favorability than Clinton, and a far weaker home base. He’s lost 11 points in support for the nomination among Republicans and GOP-leaning independents who are registered to vote, from a front-running 21 percent in March to 10 percent, smack alongside Scott Walker and Rand Paul (11 percent apiece) and Marco Rubio (10 percent). Mike Huckabee has 9 percent support, Ted Cruz and Ben Carson, 8 percent each

    In December, 63 percent of Republican voters said they could see themselves backing Bush, today it's just 49 percent.

    I would agree CPW. Randal Paul. Wouldn't be one that would unify. Moreover he isn't up on much, where the Big Boys play.

    But he would be better than any Demos getting control of the Presidency again.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,747

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Far be-it for me to vote GOP in their current environment (I did vote Reagan once - it was a mistake), but I'm not at all crazy about HRC either, beyond her dedication to national healthcare.

    Of all the GOP, I find Mr. Paul not only the most palatable, and I'm finding I really like a great deal of what he's currently saying - I could vote for him if he softened his Libertarian-right stand on a few social & economic issues (healthcare, predominately). And I'd vote for him DESPITE his being GOP, and I never thought I'd say that today!

    I recently was exploring themes where there's some belief that Liberals & Libertarians may have enough common-ground to come together to affect change, particularly at the local & state levels, with perhaps enough common-ground to even attempt a third party. That's a tall order, but the Democratic Party has fallen away from much of the more Classical Liberal thought (not all Dems want cradle-to-grave means-tested entitlements), & the GOP doesn't seem to suit Libertarians that well either - so who knows?

    One can hope.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  9. #39
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    53,128

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Far be-it for me to vote GOP in their current environment (I did vote Reagan once - it was a mistake), but I'm not at all crazy about HRC either, beyond her dedication to national healthcare.

    Of all the GOP, I find Mr. Paul not only the most palatable, and I'm finding I really like a great deal of what he's currently saying - I could vote for him if he softened his Libertarian-right stand on a few social & economic issues (healthcare, predominately). And I'd vote for him DESPITE his being GOP, and I never thought I'd say that today!

    I recently was exploring themes where there's some belief that Liberals & Libertarians may have enough common-ground to come together to affect change, particularly at the local & state levels, with perhaps enough common-ground to even attempt a third party. That's a tall order, but the Democratic Party has fallen away from much of the more Classical Liberal thought (not all Dems want cradle-to-grave means-tested entitlements), & the GOP doesn't seem to suit Libertarians that well either - so who knows?

    One can hope.
    I could bring myself to vote of Paul, I believe. But he won't get the nomination, he is not exactly a party player and in today's political climate, only party players have a chance.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Rand Paul as President in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    Jeb Bush is going to be the GOP nom., all the wishing and calling him 'not a good Republican', whatever that means, won't change the inevitable. He has the name, the money, the backing, and the political machine. Pencil him in now.

    So the Republican voters, and the Republican voters who call themselves Libertarians but who are really Republicans better find something they like about Jeb. They still defend Jeb's brother's awful presidency, the lies, the useless Iraqi war, the crapping all over our civil rights and liberties, the growing the size of the government like never before. So it shouldn't be too hard for them to find something they like about Jeb.
    I like his name. Jeb. Has a good American ring to it.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •