View Poll Results: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • BBQing is ok.

    51 100.00%
  • We should remain quiet and respectful.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89

Thread: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    Memorial Day is to honor our fallen soldiers. And we should do that, absolutely. But, is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day, or should we spend the day in deep thought and solemn remembrance?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    In our town the VFW, along with other military groups like the Ladies of the Auxilliary, throw flowers off one of our bridges into the river.

    Then we have a Dedication in our park which has a Memorial to all of our Foreign Wars.

    Afterwards, right across the street, our VFW has a BBQ--I will certainly participate in this BBQ put on by our VFW .
    Physics is Phun

  3. #3
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    I think it is okay.

  5. #5
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive
    I don't either, but some people (here at DP and elsewhere) are acting like it is. Hence, the question.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #6
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,689

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    I would have preferred an "other" option, as I don't agree with either. I think people have gotten Veterans' Day (honoring living soldiers) and Memorial Day (honoring dead soldiers) confused.

    I don't agree with all the BBQing and stuff going on, because you are actually celebrating the deaths of tens of thousands of soldiers who died for this country. I actually heard a waitress behind me at dinner tonight say, "Happy Holidays!"

    However, I don't think we should sit around in quiet reflection, either. Maybe have rememberance ceremonies where the towns honor the soldiers who they've lost. Something like that. I just don't agree with the fact that it's a holiday to celebrate, with BBQ and going to the beach.

    That's just me, though. Seeing people loaded with racks of ribs, and watermelon and fresh corn, and the lines halfway to the back of the grocery store today, I'm certain that I am in the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #7
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I would have preferred an "other" option, as I don't agree with either. I think people have gotten Veterans' Day (honoring living soldiers) and Memorial Day (honoring dead soldiers) confused.

    I don't agree with all the BBQing and stuff going on, because you are actually celebrating the deaths of tens of thousands of soldiers who died for this country. I actually heard a waitress behind me at dinner tonight say, "Happy Holidays!"

    However, I don't think we should sit around in quiet reflection, either. Maybe have rememberance ceremonies where the towns honor the soldiers who they've lost. Something like that. I just don't agree with the fact that it's a holiday to celebrate, with BBQ and going to the beach.

    That's just me, though. Seeing people loaded with racks of ribs, and watermelon and fresh corn, and the lines halfway to the back of the grocery store today, I'm certain that I am in the minority.
    I purposely didn't include a third, or 'other', option because it's really a "Is BBQing acceptable on Memorial Day, yes or no?" question. It is either acceptable, or it is not. I don't see a middle ground.

    Being acceptable does not mean that all who partake are understanding the significance of the day, of course. But neither does it mean that they don't.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    Good Question.

    I get the sense from my fellow veterans on Memorial Day from their facebook posts, etc that because people are out BBQing it up in the neighborhood that it means they aren't appreciative of the sacrifices made for our country by the fallen.....
    ...

    And that only we, the veterans, understand the real meaning of Memorial Day.


    And to these veterans I say.... You are wrong.



    In fact.... I get kind of annoyed when any veterans goes off on some ignorant rant as if to lecture a civilian who hasn't served from some position of sage wisdom about this sort of thing... it just bugs the crap out of me.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    I'm getting to a point in my life where I'm down to BBQ on just about any day where I don't have to work.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Is it acceptable to BBQ on Memorial Day?

    I don't have a problem with it. The ability to enjoy one's self with the freedoms that the sacrifices were made seems an appropriate way to honor them.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •