View Poll Results: Which lives matter?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black lives

    3 5.45%
  • Blue lives

    4 7.27%
  • All lives

    42 76.36%
  • No lives - everyone sucks

    6 10.91%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 169

Thread: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

  1. #101
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Because the odds of being killed by a cop while unarmed are far higher if you're black. It doesn't need to be said that white lives matter, because this never happens to them, and saying all lives matter is too general to get the point across.
    Never is not the right word at all. It does happen to them. In fact, plenty of white people are killed by police, even unarmed white people. Being unarmed however does not mean that you are not a danger to the police.

    Salt Lake cop cleared in shooting of unarmed white man | WREG.com

    There is a lot of difference in how recent events are treated due to the massive amount of reactions before anything can even start, well before any investigations are done into the incidents.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    07-10-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    And this is where your short-sightedness is not serving you well. You can arrogantly dismiss others as "lazy" and/or "dumb"... not very tolerant for such a proud liberal, btw... if you want, when the results don't suit your desired purpose, but reality is that only a minority of people regarding ANY issue are as heavily invested as they probably should be.
    But again, what slogan or title do you think would better get the point across to the people you're talking about? You keep saying the slogan is divisive so I assume you have an alternative unless it's really just the movement itself, not just the packaging, that you have a problem with.

  3. #103
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,155
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Seeing an avatar that says "black lives matter", let's just cut to the chase. Which lives matter? Don't be shy about it. Pick your team.
    All lives matter, except pedos and rapists maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No lives - everyone sucks
    That'd have been my second choice!
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  4. #104
    Student Cavendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    269

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    "Black Lives Matter" is not just a response to the constant shooting of unarmed black men and women. It a sentiment from a minority in this country that is still by and large not liked by the majority.

    Many black people feel like there are in a country that doesn't want them, that seems to hate them, and see them as monsters. Many African Americans feel like that don't matter to the one race in this country that is pulling most of the strings here.
    Until the African American community shakes off the victim mentality you exhibit here, there will always be racial conflict in this country.

    How could the perception be that this country "doesn't want [African Americans]" when the welfare system is racially asymmetric, as is community development relative to injections into the tax system? One race is basically subsidizing another in this country.

    Not to mention, most academics and "intellectuals" are champions for your "cause", as are the MSM. If anything, there's been a coordinated attack on the group that has been most integral to this nation that is gaining steam. The bigotry will rise further as the impact of demographic transition is felt.
    Last edited by Cavendish; 05-27-15 at 10:02 AM.
    It was not part of their blood,
    It came to them very late,
    With long arrears to make good,
    When the Saxon began to hate.

  5. #105
    Student Cavendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    269

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I suspect that if people are too lazy or too dumb to understand that the Black Lives Matter movement is about raising awareness about and putting a stop to poor treatment of black people by police and government in general, they would probably be too lazy or dumb to understand it no matter how it was packaged.
    Black people's interests are elevated above those of whites, Hispanics or Asians by the government. In twenty years it will be more pronounced, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see full blown affirmative action accompanying further rising black homicide rates and an expansion to the welfare system. It goes without saying that those of your ilk, the unabashed baiters who don't want to admit that they want a racial war of sorts, will gain in number but more importantly power.
    It was not part of their blood,
    It came to them very late,
    With long arrears to make good,
    When the Saxon began to hate.

  6. #106
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    07-10-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavendish View Post
    they want a racial war of sorts
    LO****ingL.

  7. #107
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,408

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    "Black Lives Matter" works as a slogan because it has leads to discussion. With that being said, I am not sure how you pick and choose when to see race and not. It seems to me a lot of people are saying All Lives Matter, All Families Love Their Children, etc., but when you really start getting into the meat of the conversation, many of you single out the black race for negative purposes only.

    What specifically is your argument and crux of your issue with the slogan? Do you need to see evidence that black lives matter to black people? Do you think that black people don't value any lives as much as other races? The slogan isn't always used when a white person kills a black, as many of you keep saying. It's used in Baltimore where black officers were indicted for Freddie Grey's death.

    Yes, there is a lot of crime and violence in black neighborhoods. Yes, there are serious issues facing the black community, and Jesse Jackson isn't a good leader or spokesperson, but you don't have to be black to legitimately care and want to see black communities improve. All through our history, white people have cared. White people endangered their families by giving runaway slaves safe homes. White, black, asian, it doesn't matter. You can have a better conservation. We could expect all of our leaders, of all racial backgrounds, to offer solutions where Jackson fails. The conversation is never handled in a way that actually benefits the black community. If anything, the conversation involves a lot of benelovent racism, finger pointing at black people, and a general attitude that black people need to be saved from themselves and need to get over their victim complex.

    It's not a fair attitude to have towards an entire racial segment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Yeah I kind of said something similar, but was told I didn't understand history or reality.

    According to FBI.gov statistics, in 2013, 2,500 white boys killed other white boys. 2,245 black boys killed other black boys.

    So how about we go back to the way it should be - all lives matter. Those white boys didn't deserve to die, but they did. No marches there. The black boys didn't deserve to die, but they did. No marches there, either.

    According to the same statistics chart, 409 black boys killed white boys, while 189 white boys killed black boys.

    An awful lot of killing going on here, but where's the march for them? Where's the cutesy, trendy little hash tag for them? This is all just for attention. A cop shoots a thug coming after him and all of a sudden, race baiter Jesse Jackson and others have to get involved. Doesn't matter that the kid strong-armed a store owner and robbed him. Doesn't matter that the kid was twice the size of the cop and was coming after him.

    Why didn't Jesse Jackson organize marches for the 2,245 black boys that were killed by other black boys? I'll tell you why. Because he is a pot stirrer of the worst kind, and if he can find a pot to stir, he's gonna do it. But he won't say "black lives matter" if blacks are killing other blacks. I hate that he puts himself on the same level as Martin Luther King, Jr. He is NOTHING like MLKJR. NOTHING. Martin Luther King, Jr wanted equal rights for all. All Jesse Jackson says is "black lives matter." I wonder what MLKJR would say about that. He would probably say, "Yes, they do, but so do white lives, and red lives, and yellow lives, because all lives are the same in the sight of God. A soul has no color."

  8. #108
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,969

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Never is not the right word at all. It does happen to them. In fact, plenty of white people are killed by police, even unarmed white people. Being unarmed however does not mean that you are not a danger to the police.

    Salt Lake cop cleared in shooting of unarmed white man | WREG.com

    There is a lot of difference in how recent events are treated due to the massive amount of reactions before anything can even start, well before any investigations are done into the incidents.
    That reads completely like a suicide by cop, not remotely the same thing as what we've seen on film out of WA, where 3 cops at the same time killed an unarmed black guy who had stopped attempting to flee and was just standing

    or rodney king, or jim crow south, if you want to go back far enough

    or perhaps being unarmed and black is inherently suicide by cop?
    Last edited by chromium; 05-27-15 at 01:25 PM.

  9. #109
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    07-10-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    All Jesse Jackson says is "black lives matter." I wonder what MLKJR would say about that. He would probably say, "Yes, they do, but so do white lives, and red lives, and yellow lives, because all lives are the same in the sight of God.
    MLK would say "Black Lives Matter" since he was a huge proponent of race consciousness.

    It is impossible to create a formula for the future which does not take into account that our society has been doing something special against the Negro for hundreds of years. How then can he be absorbed into the mainstream of American life if we do not do something special for him now, in order to balance the equation and equip him to compete on a just and equal basis?
    - MLK in "Why We Can't Wait"
    And then he would probably say one or both of these to you:

    White America has allowed itself to be indifferent to race prejudice. - MLK in "Showdown for Nonviolence"
    I am sorry to have to say that the vast majority of white Americans are racists, either consciously or unconsciously. - MLK in "Which Way Its Soul Shall Go"

  10. #110
    Actually I am.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    MLK would say "Black Lives Matter" since he was a huge proponent of race consciousness.
    Yes, RACE consciousness. Not BLACK consciousness. RACE consciousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •