View Poll Results: Which lives matter?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black lives

    3 5.45%
  • Blue lives

    4 7.27%
  • All lives

    42 76.36%
  • No lives - everyone sucks

    6 10.91%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 169

Thread: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

  1. #91
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why specify "black"? Why not just say "lives matter"? If you don't want separations then don't separate.
    Because the odds of being killed by a cop while unarmed are far higher if you're black. It doesn't need to be said that white lives matter, because this never happens to them, and saying all lives matter is too general to get the point across.

  2. #92
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Not at all. I simply said to "pick your team". Which team are you?
    That has nothing to do with the sig or whatever you saw, i'm guessing. Look at what's grabbing media attention right now and who the victims are. A statement about one group of people doesn't preclude another group. It's like if i hold up a sign saying "gay rights matter," are you gonna accuse me of implying heterosexuals shouldn't have rights?

    The reason to word it this way is it *goes without saying* that the freedom of the majority is respected, but frequently not true for the minority
    Last edited by chromium; 05-27-15 at 01:33 AM.

  3. #93
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    52,648

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    The cumulation of this post and all your others posts in this thread shows your racial prejudice, and I am saying this in a honest way, not a personal attack, trolling kind of way. You can't argue one minute that race doesn't matter and all you see is people, and all lives matter, and then try to criticize black people for not using the hashtag when black on black crime happens. You yourself are seeing race in this discussion, and you're obviously showing bias.

    You're not black, but if you care that black lives matter and think the hashtag isn't utilized properly, then next time a black person is killed in south Chicago gang violence, you can trend it yourself. You don't have to be black to show the black community support and love. It should be obvious that black lives matter no matter who takes the life.

    As TPD already gave you the lecture, black lives matter to black people in the ghetto, in south side Chicago, and when another black person murders their son or brother... why do you need them to tell you that on twitter? You said to TPD, well all families care about their members, blah, blah, blah, and then your color-blinders suddenly get switched off somehow and forget what you just said.
    The simple truth is that black 'lives' DO NOT matter. They just dont. The only lives that matter are the ones that can be exploited for political gain. The causes. If 'black lives matter' then there would be a lot of people REALLY torn up over the fact that there is literally blood in the streets every weekend. But no one gives a ****. Its just another day. It doesnt matter if its a banger lying face down or a 3 year old little girl in pigtails. If a black person pulled the trigger, well **** it...thats just life in the big citay...the cost of doing business. While people are protesting in the streets over NO ONE getting killed by cops this weekend 19 black people were killed and 83 were shot.

    Black lives dont matter. Just be honest already.

  4. #94
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,536

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Not at all. I simply said to "pick your team". Which team are you?
    See, this is what I mean. You're still doing it.

    Since when does the campaign have a "team"? It is not saying anything else doesn't matter, because black lives mean.

    You're not interested in having the actual conversation.

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-17 @ 11:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    And that's a fair point, but I believe that only a relatively small minority of people are able to distinguish that nuance. The unintended consequence is that it drives people farther apart because it comes off as segregating and divisive instead of inclusive.
    If you look at pictures and video of the protests, you can see that it is a heavily interracial movement so it's definitely not divisive along racial lines so along what lines is it divisive? It's also worth noting that most of the people in this thread defending Black Lives Matter are white as well. So again, how is it divisive if so many non-black people don't have a problem with it?

    EDIT: Another point worth making. Even if the movement was divisive (which it's not), so what? The women's rights, civil rights and gay rights movements were (and still are) "divisive" which means that divisiveness is not a valid critique of any movement unless the movement's purpose is to unite everybody. BLM's purpose is to raise awareness of and put a stop to unequal treatment of black people at the hands of police (and government, in general). If someone feels excluded from such a cause, I think that that's their problem. Everybody should be able to get behind that.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 05-27-15 at 08:08 AM.

  6. #96
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    32,536

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    If you look at pictures and video of the protests, you can see that it is a heavily interracial movement so it's definitely not divisive along racial lines so along what lines is it divisive? It's also worth noting that most of the people in this thread defending Black Lives Matter are white as well. So again, how is it divisive if so many non-black people don't have a problem with it?

    EDIT: Another point worth making. Even if the movement was divisive (which it's not), so what? The women's rights, civil rights and gay rights movements were (and still are) "divisive" which means that divisiveness is not a valid critique of any movement unless the movement's purpose is to unite everybody. BLM's purpose is to raise awareness of and put a stop to unequal treatment of black people at the hands of police (and government, in general). If someone feels excluded from such a cause, I think that that's their problem. Everybody should be able to get behind that.
    The fatal flaw in your thinking is in assuming that I meant said divisiveness falls strictly down racial lines. I never said, nor did I imply, such a thing. I talked about many people being unable to understand nuances, and the resulting said unintended consequences.
    Oy vey!

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-17 @ 11:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The fatal flaw in your thinking is in assuming that I meant said divisiveness falls strictly down racial lines. I never said, nor did I imply, such a thing. I talked about many people being unable to understand nuances, and the resulting said unintended consequences.
    So the movement is divisive towards people who are either too lazy to read about the movement to understand the nuances or too dumb to understand the nuances? Well, I don't consider that a problem for Black Lives Matter; I consider it a problem for the people who are lazy and/or dumb. I suspect that if people are too lazy or too dumb to understand that the Black Lives Matter movement is about raising awareness about and putting a stop to poor treatment of black people by police and government in general, they would probably be too lazy or dumb to understand it no matter how it was packaged.

    What slogan or title do you think would better get the point across to the people you're talking about?

  8. #98
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You've definitely missed the issue.

    People aren't outraged when a black person is killed. People are outraged when a black person is killed and the justice system is less effective in dealing with it.

    So drop your horse**** straw man arguments about different standards. People don't want different standards. Different standards are the problem.
    Except there is no real evidence that this is happening. There is no true evidence of this "different standards" when it comes to these types of incidents, especially the recent issues we have seen. We have no real evidence that these incidents, both those that are questionable and those that are blatant violations, had anything to do with race but were rather a result of circumstances and the mindset of the officer being wrong in general, not against a certain race.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #99
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    32,536

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    So the movement is divisive towards people who are either too lazy to read about the movement to understand the nuances or too dumb to understand the nuances? Well, I don't consider that a problem for Black Lives Matter; I consider it a problem for the people who are lazy and/or dumb. I suspect that if people are too lazy or too dumb to understand that the Black Lives Matter movement is about raising awareness about and putting a stop to poor treatment of black people by police and government in general, they would probably be too lazy or dumb to understand it no matter how it was packaged.

    What slogan or title do you think would better get the point across to the people you're talking about?
    And this is where your short-sightedness is not serving you well. You can arrogantly dismiss others as "lazy" and/or "dumb"... not very tolerant for such a proud liberal, btw... if you want, when the results don't suit your desired purpose, but reality is that only a minority of people regarding ANY issue are as heavily invested as they probably should be.
    Oy vey!

  10. #100
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    32,536

    Re: Black Lives, Blue Lives or Something Else. Which lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Except there is no real evidence that this is happening. There is no true evidence of this "different standards" when it comes to these types of incidents, especially the recent issues we have seen. We have no real evidence that these incidents, both those that are questionable and those that are blatant violations, had anything to do with race but were rather a result of circumstances and the mindset of the officer being wrong in general, not against a certain race.
    You're confusing 'evidence' with 'proof'. There's a great deal of evidence, and it's glaring us right in the face. Proving it, or proving which ones are legit, however, is more difficult.
    Oy vey!

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •