View Poll Results: Can a nation tax its way to prosperity?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 11.48%
  • No

    44 72.13%
  • Other

    10 16.39%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 145

Thread: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

  1. #111
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,200

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are assuming the US is not operating under sequestration, but we are. You ought to be smart enough to understand that there are not additional funds above core spending for works programs.

    Well, 2 points, we have not been collecting enough for needed work.......and....those dollars are often diverted because there are NOT enough revenues for the rest of the budgets.


    But all of this is a diversion from the point, which is that you have once again contradicted your argument, first arguing for taxation for public works, then an about face and calling for cuts.
    Point out once in this thread where I called for cuts in infrastructure and research and development.

    It may be a contradiction in your mind, because you perhaps don't understand the concept of core government functions. If governments operated in a manner that provided full funding for all core responsibilities and then any left over amount could be directed towards non-core programs there would only be a need to increase taxation if the core responsibilities weren't covered. I doubt your country is in that position. So, therefore, suggesting that cuts to non-core programs in order to redirect those funds back to where they should be used is not a contradiction at all.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  2. #112
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,200

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    How canadian. Can't win an argument so you just roll over in defeat.

    Man canada sucks.
    Gee - I'd say it sucks to be an American, on your country's holiday birthday weekend, and all you've got to do is troll and insult a Canadian. Bitter much?
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    12-08-16 @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,907

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Point out once in this thread where I called for cuts in infrastructure and research and development.
    Gawd damn, you sure love your straw arguments, don't you? You called for cuts IN OTHER PROGRAMS to fund public works.

    It may be a contradiction in your mind, because you perhaps don't understand the concept of core government functions. If governments operated in a manner that provided full funding for all core responsibilities and then any left over amount could be directed towards non-core programs there would only be a need to increase taxation if the core responsibilities weren't covered. I doubt your country is in that position. So, therefore, suggesting that cuts to non-core programs in order to redirect those funds back to where they should be used is not a contradiction at all.
    This is silly, you are getting into a semantic argument about "core" spending which has nothing to do with your contradictions of arguing for taxation to fund public works and then arguing instead for cuts to other programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    49,550

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The way you create prosperity is by creating jobs. Those jobs hopfully will create more demand where by more jobs are created. Simialar to using kindling to start a fire.

    There is no prosperity if there are no jobs to be had.
    Prosperity requires ingenuity and creativity. Jobs come from that. Jobs in and of themselves do not fill that need. Employment is necessary, yes, but in a prosperous economy you will have them. Even in bad economies, you will have them; though to lesser extent.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #115
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,200

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Gawd damn, you sure love your straw arguments, don't you? You called for cuts IN OTHER PROGRAMS to fund public works.

    This is silly, you are getting into a semantic argument about "core" spending which has nothing to do with your contradictions of arguing for taxation to fund public works and then arguing instead for cuts to other programs.
    I don't waste a lot of time arguing for argument's sake. I've been very clear in what I've posted and if you refuse to comprehend it or accept it, that's on you. As I said earlier - have a good day.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  6. #116
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,712

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't waste a lot of time arguing for argument's sake. I've been very clear in what I've posted and if you refuse to comprehend it or accept it, that's on you. As I said earlier - have a good day.
    That's Canadianism for you
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  7. #117
    Professor
    Ganesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    12-06-16 @ 12:13 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,028

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Point out once in this thread where I called for cuts in infrastructure and research and development.

    It may be a contradiction in your mind, because you perhaps don't understand the concept of core government functions. If governments operated in a manner that provided full funding for all core responsibilities and then any left over amount could be directed towards non-core programs there would only be a need to increase taxation if the core responsibilities weren't covered. I doubt your country is in that position. So, therefore, suggesting that cuts to non-core programs in order to redirect those funds back to where they should be used is not a contradiction at all.
    I am interested in your concept of "core funding", as I'd say such ideas are highly subjective. What is core, secondary, or peripheral varies quite a bit according to political persuasion, and prevailing fashion. Basic medical care for citizens is, for example, core in Canada, and most other developed economies. In the US, it is not. In countries like Kenya, almost nothing is "core", in places like Sweden, almost everything is.

    Where I live there is a controversy right now over urban transit. Some are attempting to say this is peripheral, only to be had with surplus wealth. A great many urban planners, and economic thinkers, see this as highly flawed policy.

    In short, public policy and finance are only, and exactly, what we say they are. There is no money "left over", as taxation and revenue are in flux, and always in relationship with social priorities. We can always spend more in certain areas, and always less. It is a question of social goals, something that is often lost on libertarian advocates (I'm not saying you are one of those).

    The original question here asked about tax and prosperity. The answer is clear. Prosperity- for all, not a small percent of the population- began when communities took charge of their futures, in the form of social programs, and the oversight of elected representatives over the economy. The low tax regimes of the past were the wild west, were a Donald Trump would have been president, and the average worker would have been (and was) dirt poor by today's standards.

    The ultimate function of government is the welfare of the people. Otherwise, we might as well not have it. Send the tax man around. I'll pay.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    12-08-16 @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,907

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't waste a lot of time arguing for argument's sake. I've been very clear in what I've posted and if you refuse to comprehend it or accept it, that's on you. As I said earlier - have a good day.
    If you don't want to correct your contradictory statements, I'm fine with that. If you do not feel the meed to defend your argument, I fine with that too. If you do not wish to engage in debate at a debate forum, you are free to do that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    I am a medical provider. Try having the pressure of someones life in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    I haven't had any trouble comprehending what CanadaJohn has said. Infrastructure spending is a legitimate expenditure of federal funds. Many other expenditures, including social expenditures, are considered not legitimate. It's pretty easy to understand. Nothing contradictory about that opinion. Not sure what sort of hair Gimmesometruth is trying to split or why. Trying to find something disagreeable apparently.
    "The knowledge and prudence of the poor themselves, are absolutely the only means by which any general and permanent improvement in their condition can be effected." - Thomas Malthus

  10. #120
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    157,830

    Re: Can A Nation Tax Itself Into Prosperity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I haven't had any trouble comprehending what CanadaJohn has said. Infrastructure spending is a legitimate expenditure of federal funds. Many other expenditures, including social expenditures, are considered not legitimate. It's pretty easy to understand. Nothing contradictory about that opinion. Not sure what sort of hair Gimmesometruth is trying to split or why. Trying to find something disagreeable apparently.
    many of the big tax hikers don't even pretend its about revenue or infrastructure but about "making things fair" by punishing the productive to slake the butt hurt envy of failures. ITs what I call "wealth vandalism" meaning there are many who figure if they cannot be rich, the government should confiscate the wealth of those who are
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •