View Poll Results: Was Ronald Reagan the best President of the all times?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a right leaning American, yes

    2 2.20%
  • I'm a right leaning American, yes and the United Statss needs a President like him now

    9 9.89%
  • I'm a left leaning American, yes

    0 0%
  • I'm a left leaning American, yes and the United States needs a President like him now

    1 1.10%
  • I'm a right leaning American, no

    23 25.27%
  • I'm a left leaning American, no

    41 45.05%
  • I'm not from America, yes

    1 1.10%
  • I'm not from America, no

    14 15.38%
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 278

Thread: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    It appears that many conservatives hate Carter because he didn't start any wars. He was wise not to get into a war with Iran and Russia. The Russians were as doomed to fail in Afghanistan as we were. The hostages would have been released during Carters term if Reagan's people hadn't bribed Iran to hold them longer.

  2. #252
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Everyone has already forgotten that Reagan wasted billions of dollars, set air traffic safety back at least ten years and indirectly caused plane crashes by firing nearly all experienced air traffic controllers.
    Which plane crashes? Be specific.

    He didn't fire them. He ordered them back to work while they were on their illegal strike. They defied him. It was their choice.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #253
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Agreed. The problem was he didn't provide very good leadership through those problems and crises that came his way.

    Don't get me wrong, I believe Jimmy Carter is a man of good intentions. It is just his ability to lead and make good decisions regarding national policy that appear to be non-existant.
    Jimmy Carter is a very smart man. He is also a very nice man, and I believe a very good man. He was a terrible leader.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    No, he was a corporate stooge who made the rich richer and poor poorer.
    Kind of like Obama?

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by ConsvLiberal View Post
    In 1984 Ronald Reagan got the best result in history of the United Staates Of America. The Reaganomics were popular all around the world. Do you think that he was the greatest President of the United States?
    1.) George Washington
    2.) Richard Nixon
    3.) FDR
    4.) Harry Truman
    5.) Dwight Eisenhower
    6.) Ronald Reagan
    7.) Teddy Roosevelt
    8.) Andrew Jackson
    9.) James Monroe
    10.) Thomas Jefferson

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Which plane crashes? Be specific....
    "Was air safety compromised? In many ways, yes. The military air controllers were unaccustomed to working with civilian aircraft and the complicated zones of the civilian system. New hires may have been rushed through programs to get them into work, without having sufficient training. A great quote:
    "By the strike’s third day, [Captain Tom] Sheppard [chair of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) Air Traffic Control Committee] began to worry about the exhaustion of replacement controllers and told [ALPA President J. J.] O’Donnell that, 'if the system continues at present staffing levels, fatigue of the people working will have a safety impact.' On day four he warned of 'a higher potential of danger.'...One controller who stayed on the job at Houston Center reported that safety had been 'set back 10 years minimum.'"

    However, pilots kept flying. This is partially because they were unaware of ALPA's reports on safety, and partially just out of not wanting to get involved. This was the "kiss of death" according to many of the controllers on strike. ALPA would have crippled the nation's air system entirely if they joined in, and Reagan might've lost this battle. However, they didn't join, and despite the increased safety risk, O'Donnell insisted that the country's air system was perfectly safe. Another quote: PATCO disputed O’Donnell’s characterization in its own press conference on August 19, claiming that there had been fifteen near midair collisions in fifteen days. That very afternoon two general aviation planes collided south of San Jose, California, killing the pilot of one of the aircraft, and seemingly underlining PATCO’s point. Strikers blamed the collision on controller fatigue, but FAA officials denied the charge. The fact that it involved two single-engine planes and produced only one fatality kept it from becoming a major story....So yes, air safety was definitely compromised despite the replacements by non-strikers, consolidation of zones and flow, cancellation of many, many flights, adding of new recruits, and use of military air traffic controllers. ....


    Part of the reason incidents didn't occur in so big an amount was because of the lowered air traffic they allowed. The FAA had envisioned that air traffic would return to pre-strike levels in 1983, in the worst-case scenario. By the end of 1982, the FAA was far more understaffed still than pre-strike levels, and air traffic suffered as a result. There were still incidents, however, attributed to the new controllers. On January 13, 1982, a plane crashed (it was snowing) into the icy Potomac leaving D.C for Florida. Initially it was believed to be only a problem of the de-icing failing, allowing ice to accumulate. 78 were killed, and only 5 survived. PATCO insisted that air controller error was to blame, from the get-go, and this was initially met with skepticism. But the NTSB hearings that opened on March 1 exposed the fact that the air traffic controller who cleared the doomed jet for takeoff, a supervisor who had resumed controlling traffic on August 3, had also cleared an Eastern Airlines jet to land behind Flight 90 on the same runway before the flight was airborne. So there were definitely doubts, and incidents, that made everyone feel the new system was far more questionable. The FAA, as a result, stepped up hiring, but did so in such a rushed manner that the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) asked it (in 1983) to stop its plans for expanding air traffic until it could raise the number of fully certified controllers, because it was rushing to try to get traffic back up quickly....

    Sources:
    Reagan, Ronald. An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1990. Print.
    McCartin, Joseph Anthony. Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike That Changed America. New York: Oxford UP, 2011. Print.
    Wilentz, Sean. The Age of Reagan: A History, 1974-2008. New York, NY: Harper, 2008. Print."

    What exactly happened when President Reagan fired all the striking air traffic controllers? How were they replaced? Was air safety compromised? : AskHistorians

  7. #257
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    "Was air safety compromised? In many ways, yes. The military air controllers were unaccustomed to working with civilian aircraft and the complicated zones of the civilian system. New hires may have been rushed through programs to get them into work, without having sufficient training. A great quote:
    "By the strike’s third day, [Captain Tom] Sheppard [chair of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) Air Traffic Control Committee] began to worry about the exhaustion of replacement controllers and told [ALPA President J. J.] O’Donnell that, 'if the system continues at present staffing levels, fatigue of the people working will have a safety impact.' On day four he warned of 'a higher potential of danger.'...One controller who stayed on the job at Houston Center reported that safety had been 'set back 10 years minimum.'"

    However, pilots kept flying. This is partially because they were unaware of ALPA's reports on safety, and partially just out of not wanting to get involved. This was the "kiss of death" according to many of the controllers on strike. ALPA would have crippled the nation's air system entirely if they joined in, and Reagan might've lost this battle. However, they didn't join, and despite the increased safety risk, O'Donnell insisted that the country's air system was perfectly safe. Another quote: PATCO disputed O’Donnell’s characterization in its own press conference on August 19, claiming that there had been fifteen near midair collisions in fifteen days. That very afternoon two general aviation planes collided south of San Jose, California, killing the pilot of one of the aircraft, and seemingly underlining PATCO’s point. Strikers blamed the collision on controller fatigue, but FAA officials denied the charge. The fact that it involved two single-engine planes and produced only one fatality kept it from becoming a major story....So yes, air safety was definitely compromised despite the replacements by non-strikers, consolidation of zones and flow, cancellation of many, many flights, adding of new recruits, and use of military air traffic controllers. ....


    Part of the reason incidents didn't occur in so big an amount was because of the lowered air traffic they allowed. The FAA had envisioned that air traffic would return to pre-strike levels in 1983, in the worst-case scenario. By the end of 1982, the FAA was far more understaffed still than pre-strike levels, and air traffic suffered as a result. There were still incidents, however, attributed to the new controllers. On January 13, 1982, a plane crashed (it was snowing) into the icy Potomac leaving D.C for Florida. Initially it was believed to be only a problem of the de-icing failing, allowing ice to accumulate. 78 were killed, and only 5 survived. PATCO insisted that air controller error was to blame, from the get-go, and this was initially met with skepticism. But the NTSB hearings that opened on March 1 exposed the fact that the air traffic controller who cleared the doomed jet for takeoff, a supervisor who had resumed controlling traffic on August 3, had also cleared an Eastern Airlines jet to land behind Flight 90 on the same runway before the flight was airborne. So there were definitely doubts, and incidents, that made everyone feel the new system was far more questionable. The FAA, as a result, stepped up hiring, but did so in such a rushed manner that the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) asked it (in 1983) to stop its plans for expanding air traffic until it could raise the number of fully certified controllers, because it was rushing to try to get traffic back up quickly....

    Sources:
    Reagan, Ronald. An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1990. Print.
    McCartin, Joseph Anthony. Collision Course: Ronald Reagan, the Air Traffic Controllers, and the Strike That Changed America. New York: Oxford UP, 2011. Print.
    Wilentz, Sean. The Age of Reagan: A History, 1974-2008. New York, NY: Harper, 2008. Print."

    What exactly happened when President Reagan fired all the striking air traffic controllers? How were they replaced? Was air safety compromised? : AskHistorians
    You need to read the NTSB report on Flight 90 and why it crashed. It had nothing to do with the air traffic controllers.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #258
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    It appears that many conservatives hate Carter because he didn't start any wars. He was wise not to get into a war with Iran and Russia. The Russians were as doomed to fail in Afghanistan as we were. The hostages would have been released during Carters term if Reagan's people hadn't bribed Iran to hold them longer.
    Carter bears a heavy responsability for encouraging terrorism against the US by his lack of adequate response to the Iranian seizure of the US Embassy in Tehran, an open act of war.

  9. #259
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,202

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    1.) George Washington
    2.) Richard Nixon
    3.) FDR
    4.) Harry Truman
    5.) Dwight Eisenhower
    6.) Ronald Reagan
    7.) Teddy Roosevelt
    8.) Andrew Jackson
    9.) James Monroe
    10.) Thomas Jefferson
    Why would you list Andrew Jackson as 8th?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #260
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Why would you list Andrew Jackson as 8th?
    I agree. Jackson is overrated.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •