View Poll Results: Was Ronald Reagan the best President of the all times?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a right leaning American, yes

    2 2.20%
  • I'm a right leaning American, yes and the United Statss needs a President like him now

    9 9.89%
  • I'm a left leaning American, yes

    0 0%
  • I'm a left leaning American, yes and the United States needs a President like him now

    1 1.10%
  • I'm a right leaning American, no

    23 25.27%
  • I'm a left leaning American, no

    41 45.05%
  • I'm not from America, yes

    1 1.10%
  • I'm not from America, no

    14 15.38%
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 278

Thread: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

  1. #231
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,987

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I was an infant when Carter was POTUS, but I respect your opinion.

    Was Carter worse than Obama? Of course Im asking in your opinion.

    It is hard to say which was worse. Each was worse in some ways than the other. Neither is/was much of a president.

    The Carter years though, were darker. I have trouble explaining just HOW dark to people who didn't live through it. I was young, a teenager, but I remember. I particularly remember the adults I looked to at the time, how grim they were, how worried and fearful, and how they struggled against despair. After the chaos of the 60s and the war and civil unrest, followed by the scandal of Watergate, things were looking grim. So many things came together at once (supposed energy crisis, Soviet expansion and threats from them and the Chinese, the nuclear Sword of Damocles hanging over our heads and doubts that Carter would retaliate leaving us looking weak, hostage crisis in Iran cannot be understated, the "Misery Index" and recession, and more) to rob the people of hope and optimism, and we had no leadership helping us get past that.

    Every time our leaders appeared on TV, they looked grim and worn, and sounded overwhelmed and exhausted, shoulders slumped, and spoke as if America was already finished.


    Then came Ronald Reagan, and he was standing up straight and proud and smiling... his tone, his face, his manner all projected a confidence that was nothing short of ASTONISHING in those VERY dark times, when most people were beginning to believe the End was upon us. He told us that No, this was not the end of America... just the beginning. "I have a vision of a shining city on a hill, where it is not sunset in America, but only morning."

    He gave hope where hope seemed gone.


    Read this speech and maybe you'll understand better why so many people loved Reagan... not because he was the perfect conservative President, but because he brought hope to a people who had all but abandoned hope.


    11/3/1980 Speech

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    It is hard to say which was worse. Each was worse in some ways than the other. Neither is/was much of a president.

    The Carter years though, were darker. I have trouble explaining just HOW dark to people who didn't live through it. I was young, a teenager, but I remember. I particularly remember the adults I looked to at the time, how grim they were, how worried and fearful, and how they struggled against despair. After the chaos of the 60s and the war and civil unrest, followed by the scandal of Watergate, things were looking grim. So many things came together at once (supposed energy crisis, Soviet expansion and threats from them and the Chinese, the nuclear Sword of Damocles hanging over our heads and doubts that Carter would retaliate leaving us looking weak, hostage crisis in Iran cannot be understated, the "Misery Index" and recession, and more) to rob the people of hope and optimism, and we had no leadership helping us get past that.

    Every time our leaders appeared on TV, they looked grim and worn, and sounded overwhelmed and exhausted, shoulders slumped, and spoke as if America was already finished.


    Then came Ronald Reagan, and he was standing up straight and proud and smiling... his tone, his face, his manner all projected a confidence that was nothing short of ASTONISHING in those VERY dark times, when most people were beginning to believe the End was upon us. He told us that No, this was not the end of America... just the beginning. "I have a vision of a shining city on a hill, where it is not sunset in America, but only morning."

    He gave hope where hope seemed gone.


    Read this speech and maybe you'll understand better why so many people loved Reagan... not because he was the perfect conservative President, but because he brought hope to a people who had all but abandoned hope.


    11/3/1980 Speech
    Now that was a speech. Its almost hard to imagine a POTUS is capable of sounding like this, (maybe Bush after 9/11 but not quite) it certainly does not sound like Obama.

    But the similarities between Carter and Obama are striking.

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Goshin's post accurately capture the sentiments of many people at the time. Reagan did nothing productive, but he did make gullible people feel like big daddy was now in charge and America was OK again.

  4. #234
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,987

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Goshin's post accurately capture the sentiments of many people at the time. Reagan did nothing productive, but he did make gullible people feel like big daddy was now in charge and America was OK again.

    I think that is an understatement of positively British proportions.

    Leadership is a complicated matter, a mixture of many parts of which planning and administration are only two elements. A good leader is also part actor and psychologist; do not discount the status of "figurehead" as mere stagecraft. To lead it is not enough to simply think and plan and decide... you must reach the People and capture their imagination and restore their hope.


    Hope, you see, is an odd thing. Given the exact same environment and circumstances, people WITHOUT hope tend to sit and await their doom, while people WITH hope tend to work hard toward a better future. Which benefits a nation? Sometimes even thin or false hope is better than no hope. Hope or its lack can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

    A nation's strength is not just the number of troops or tanks or warships; it is also the leader's seeming willingness to use them at need, and the morale and will of the military and the People. This is another way that leadership and the projection of a strong leader makes a huge difference.


    Reagan truly believed we could turn things around, and made the people believe, and then we DID.


    That was why he was so loved.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Goshin's post accurately capture the sentiments of many people at the time. Reagan did nothing productive, but he did make gullible people feel like big daddy was now in charge and America was OK again.
    The economy improved. He won the cold war without firing a shot. Americans were proud and hopeful again.

    I dont see how you could call that "nothing productive".

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post

    Reagan truly believed we could turn things around, and made the people believe, and then we DID.


    That was why he was so loved.
    Sounds like a great leader to me.

  7. #237
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,753

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Reagan was Reagan. He was indeed something special... not perfect (his presidency had several serious faults) but the right man at the right time.


    If you didn't live through the Carter years, or you weren't old enough to understand what a bleak time they were and how hope for the future was dying like drought-withered grass, then you'll never understand what Reagan was or why so many people loved him so.



    Perfect? No. Greatest Prez of all time? Probably not. The man we needed in the moment we needed him? Hell yes.
    I agree Reagan was a great leader. I said that earlier in this thread.

    But the constant pointing at Carter 'years' as being awful and the reason Reagan's was needed is a bit unfair. Many of the things that were making Americans unhappy and questioning our place in the world happened during other Admins. Vietnam wasn't Carter's doing, nor was Watergate, nor the Oil Crisis.

    The end of the Nixon Admin and Ford's time in the WH were damn bad, probably worse than Carter's.

    Carter inherited a lot of BS, as has Obama.

    I'm not saying Carter was a good president, he wasn't, but much of the darkness and despair wasn't his doing.
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  8. #238
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,987

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    I agree Reagan was a great leader. I said that earlier in this thread.

    But the constant pointing at Carter 'years' as being awful and the reason Reagan's was needed is a bit unfair. Many of the things that were making Americans unhappy and questioning our place in the world happened during other Admins. Vietnam wasn't Carter's doing, nor was Watergate, nor the Oil Crisis.

    The end of the Nixon Admin and Ford's time in the WH were damn bad, probably worse than Carter's.

    Carter inherited a lot of BS, as has Obama.

    I'm not saying Carter was a good president, he wasn't, but much of the darkness and despair wasn't his doing.

    Agreed. The problem was he didn't provide very good leadership through those problems and crises that came his way.

    Don't get me wrong, I believe Jimmy Carter is a man of good intentions. It is just his ability to lead and make good decisions regarding national policy that appear to be non-existant.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #239
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,753

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Agreed. The problem was he didn't provide very good leadership through those problems and crises that came his way.

    Don't get me wrong, I believe Jimmy Carter is a man of good intentions. It is just his ability to lead and make good decisions regarding national policy that appear to be non-existant.
    Yes, Carter was NOT a good leader. And I guess being a good leader is an important part of being a president. I was just pointing out that much of what people criticize Carter for was actually other Admins fault. LBJ and Ford were pretty bad and caused a bunch of problems. Nixon was a good president, but his Watergate fiasco maybe was the turning point on when Americans really lost their trust in the Office of President. Even with Reagan the trust wavered at times.
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  10. #240
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,694

    Re: Is Ronald Reagan the best President all time?

    Question cannot be answered.

    We have no knowledge of times after this moment, in which a better president may exist, even by Reagan fanboy standards.


    Which is of course not to say he WAS the best up til this point. And even then it depends on what parameters you're using to judge presidents by.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •