View Poll Results: Do You Believe in Natural Rights?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 41.38%
  • No

    51 58.62%
Page 74 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 994

Thread: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

  1. #731
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There are no such thing as 'natural rights.' All are something that are determined and then recognized by man.
    so your of the mind that man simply created these rights out of thin air, absent reasoning or premise?

  2. #732
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    I'm not a believer in natural rights either, hence the quotation marks around them. I generally support most of the application of the theory because I believe in a more equal society, but I don't see any epistemological reasoning for supporting the theory.
    wait a minute..... how can one support the application of something that does not exist?.... and can something that does not exist even be applied?

    additionally... why do you believe in a "more equal society"?.. what drives this particular belief?

  3. #733
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    211

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    all rights are based upon the "asserter" of a give rights ability/willingness to kill or harm those who would usurp those rights. If you lack the ability or the willingness, in a generation or so, you'll have lost that right (and all the others) to somebody who's killed or enslaved you

  4. #734
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    28,244

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    so your of the mind that man simply created these rights out of thin air, absent reasoning or premise?
    Enlightened self-interest. There's your reasoning.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #735
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,546

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That response makes no sense to the post from me that you produced as its lead in.
    You said, "Actions speak louder than words." The way I took that was "Don't listen to these guys because what they did goes way beyond being hypocrites" or something to that effect. So, if you're not attempting to poison the well, what's your point as it relates to natural rights? Some of these guys held slaves. So what? I mean, even Mao was right once in a while. He certainly knew how to kick the Kuomintang's ass.
    Нава́льный 2018

  6. #736
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 08:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    wait a minute..... how can one support the application of something that does not exist?.... and can something that does not exist even be applied?
    The same way I can support "Thou shalt not kill" even if I don't attribute it to any divine being proclaiming it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    additionally... why do you believe in a "more equal society"?.. what drives this particular belief?
    Redistributing liberties in a society makes them more equal. That's what "natural rights" do. They proclaim everyone is entitled to certain basic liberties and redistributes them from those who would take them to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to claim them.

  7. #737
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,546

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So you admit that you have blind faith in natural rights. Gotcha.
    No, I don't admit I have blind faith. I have 2,300 years of logic and ethics on my side. I also have reason to believe that human life has value because people can reason, experience, and feel. Your faith in the absence of "factual" evidence (such as a right bitch-slapping you upside your head) is evidence of blindness.
    Last edited by Ahlevah; 05-22-15 at 10:46 PM.
    Нава́льный 2018

  8. #738
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    The same way I can support "Thou shalt not kill" even if I don't attribute it to any divine being proclaiming it.
    we aren't talking about attribution....we're talking existence.
    why on earth would you even support such a notion of "thou shalt not kill"... if there is no right to live, there is no duty not to kill.

    Redistributing liberties in a society makes them more equal. That's what "natural rights" do. They proclaim everyone is entitled to certain basic liberties and redistributes them from those who would take them to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to claim them.
    what the holy ****?... redistributing liberties?
    where are you coming up with this stuff?... i'm curious to read your sources, if only so i can figure out just what you are talking about.

  9. #739
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,546

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    The same way I can support "Thou shalt not kill" even if I don't attribute it to any divine being proclaiming it.
    What way is that? Enlighten us to why you think you can support "Thou shalt not kill" but others shouldn't (since there is, in your view, no universal, natural right to life).
    Нава́льный 2018

  10. #740
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Enlightened self-interest. There's your reasoning.
    odd how a single reasoning could be behind 2500 years of philosophical arguments in which men from different times, cultures, and enviroments all came to rather similar conclusions on the premise of certain rights eh?

    i mean it's almost as if "enlightened self interest" could be described as ... i dunno.. natural?

Page 74 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •