View Poll Results: Do You Believe in Natural Rights?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 41.38%
  • No

    51 58.62%
Page 37 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 994

Thread: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

  1. #361
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    All rights are then subjective or relative to a society. And no, not every child learns not to hit other children. That may be your ideal and many of us share it, but that is not reality.
    If that's all the thought you can put in to an answer, I'm sorry I wasted my time involving you.

    You give no proof of your claims, and offer no evidence contrary to anything I stated. Your answer is basically the adult version of "nuh uh."

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you can't exercise a right, then it is pointless to claim it. But this completely fails to address the point I made. The aliens are claiming ownership of what they believe to be their planet since they made it. So does it belong to us or them and who makes that ultimate decision?
    That would depend on the fact-dependant claims made by the aliens. We can't know until real aliens actually show up and make a claim.

  3. #363
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,520
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Inalienable rights are diferent in that they don't exist. Every right you have, can be taken from you.

    The only possible exeption is the persuit of happiness, because even if you're chained in a cell and doped up, you can still "persue happiness"; like the old saying "you can cage my body but never my spirit". But even that can be argued to be a condition of our being and not an actual right.
    Well I have made my argument. And no, the right to think cannot be taken from me. The right to hope, to aspire, to believe, etc. cannot be taken from me. I can be denied my ability to exercise such things as I choose, but they cannot be taken from me. Again 'inalienable' means that you cannot surrender, sell, or transfer it to somebody else. The U.S. Constitution was originally intended to recognize and protect inalienable or natural rights so that no king or religious authority or anybody else could prevent the people from exercising them.

    And however much anybody tries to deny that, it is the truth just as not having the ability to understand what natural rights are or the concept behind them does not mean that such natural rights do not exist.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #364
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    82,184

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you have declared rights do not exist..but below you say they do!



    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The 19th effectively gave females the right to vote. There is no doubt about that in the rational mind of any thinking person who knows history.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It most certainly does and I already gave you several examples including rights contained in the Sixth Amendment and the various right to vote provisions.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Everything in that article confirms that the right to vote was given to women by the 19th Amendment. This proves you wrong beyond any doubt. For you to deny it - yet again - is simply a sign of your refusal to accept reality and fact because it would destroy your extremist self imposed belief system.
    Your post makes no sense as a reply to what I wrote. I stated that you cannot claim a right is being lessened or attacked if you do not have that right in the first place. That is simply the way reality works. That does NOT mean that you do not have rights. That is simply inane for you to jump to that strange conclusion.

    Why you would engage in such gross dishonesty and then attribute it to me is a real mystery.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #365
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,520
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you can't exercise a right, then it is pointless to claim it. But this completely fails to address the point I made. The aliens are claiming ownership of what they believe to be their planet since they made it. So does it belong to us or them and who makes that ultimate decision?
    Using your logic, it is pointless to have laws protecting rights, yes? But nevertheless we have them. So they must exist.

    The Constitution was to prevent monarch or religious authority or each other from infringing on our natural rights, i.e. preventing our ability to exercise and benefit from them as we saw fit. The fact that some would deny us that ability does not change the fact that such natural rights exist.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #366
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,098

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    the u.s. constitution mentions only natural rights, and privileges and that is all.

    civil rights/ legal rights, come from government and are privileges of constitutional law.

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Well I have made my argument. And no, the right to think cannot be taken from me. The right to hope, to aspire, to believe, etc. cannot be taken from me. I can be denied my ability to exercise such things as I choose, but they cannot be taken from me. Again 'inalienable' means that you cannot surrender, sell, or transfer it to somebody else. The U.S. Constitution was originally intended to recognize and protect inalienable or natural rights so that no king or religious authority or anybody else could prevent the people from exercising them.

    And however much anybody tries to deny that, it is the truth just as not having the ability to understand what natural rights are or the concept behind them does not mean that such natural rights do not exist.
    Yes, you made your argument, and it fel flat on it's face. That Natural Rights can be alienated means Natural Rights don't exist.

  8. #368
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,098

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes, you made your argument, and it fel flat on it's face. That Natural Rights can be alienated means Natural Rights don't exist.
    first its unalienable ..not inalienable

    un-a-lien-able

  9. #369
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,520
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes, you made your argument, and it fel flat on it's face. That Natural Rights can be alienated means Natural Rights don't exist.
    Have a nice day Jerry. I made my argument for why natural rights exist. And you cannot make them go away by saying over and over that they do not.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #370
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,098

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Have a nice day Jerry. I made my argument for why natural rights exist. And you cannot make them go away by saying over and over that they do not.
    that is the only argument they have...."they don't exist"

    when you ask them to prove it, you get more of the same.

    then they tell you to prove they exist, when that question should be directed at them, how can they prove they don't exist, since natural rights are part of our laws, principles, and of history of the world and america

Page 37 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •