View Poll Results: Do You Believe in Natural Rights?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 41.38%
  • No

    51 58.62%
Page 36 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 994

Thread: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Rights, by definition, can be either legal, social, or ethical.
    I have prayed to the church of Google but haven't located the definition you're using. Please link to it.

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I have prayed to the church of Google but haven't located the definition you're using. Please link to it.
    Google "rights."

    Or read Wikipedia. Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Or you can look it up in websites dictionary : something that a person is or should be morally or legally allowed to have, get, or do

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    There is no such "ethical sense" in the first place.
    Of course there is. Ethics are the basis of any society.

  4. #354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Google "rights."

    Or read Wikipedia. Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Or you can look it up in websites dictionary : something that a person is or should be morally or legally allowed to have, get, or do
    I notice your link doesn't mention Human Rights, Civil Rights or Natural Rights. I'm not sure how far we can trust Wiki.

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Of course there is. Ethics are the basis of any society.
    Yes but it doesn't appear that "ethics" is an actual category of rights.

  6. #356
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Again the fact that somebody may assume power to deny you the liberty to exercise your unalienable rights as you choose does not mean that those rights no longer exist.
    If you can't exercise a right, then it is pointless to claim it. But this completely fails to address the point I made. The aliens are claiming ownership of what they believe to be their planet since they made it. So does it belong to us or them and who makes that ultimate decision?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #357
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Let me throw my 2 cents in here.

    Rights, by definition, can be either legal, social, or ethical.

    Beginning with the ethical - you can claim that ethics are subjective, and that's true to a marginal extent, but, largely, human ethics are universal. Nearly every culture on earth has an ethical system that boils down to the golden rule: do to others what you would have them do to you. In other words, treat people as you feel you deserve to be treated. That forms the foundation for what we might call "natural rights."

    Socially, if we can agree on this guiding ethical principle, we then interpret this and begin to structure society in a way that protects these rights for the members of that society.

    We then come up with laws. Laws which, of course, are unique to specific goverrmsnts and cultures but which, nonetheless, share a number of guiding principles.

    For instance, murder is illegal in nearly every culture on earth. This implies a right to life. Theft and slavery are nearly universally illegal. This implies the right to property and liberty.

    You see, we get so hung up on our differences sometimes, we start to believe morality and legality to be completely subjective and cultural. In fact, our commonalities are much more profound and run much deeper than our differences.

    Every child learns not to hit other children, to share, to treat others with respect, etc. These shared values carry in to adulthood and in to the laws which we create for ourselves.
    All rights are then subjective or relative to a society. And no, not every child learns not to hit other children. That may be your ideal and many of us share it, but that is not reality.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #358
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    82,211

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    this post will be marked and noted for further reference.
    WHY? Is it a shock to you to find out that nobody can deny or limit rights that you do not have?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #359
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    82,211

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    again this is a silly and irrelevant comment. we reference natural rights because they were recognized by the founders in the Bill of rights. People like you pretend that the Bill of rights is extremely limited and the Bill of rights' prohibitions on the actions of the federal government are extremely narrow. We who do not worship the federal government understand that the founders believed in natural rights and intended to prevent the federal government from raping those natural rights. They did this two ways

    1) they NEVER EVER gave the federal government the power to interfere with those rights in the main body of the constitution and when some of the founders were worried about dishonest politicians in the future pretending that the federal government had any power not specifically denied it,

    2) they created the Bill of rights which was a negative restriction and restatement of that fact

    You can pretend all you want that we don't have those right but the Bill of Rights proves you are incorrect.

    so does the fact that the federal government was never properly delegated the power to so interfere with them
    What all this vitriol is about - well - that is a mystery because all I told you was that nobody can deny you rights that you don't have in the first place. Any rational person dealing with reality would agree with that.
    Last edited by haymarket; 05-19-15 at 07:02 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #360
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,119

    Re: Do You Believe In Natural Rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    WHY? Is it a shock to you to find out that nobody can deny or limit rights that you do not have?
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Nobody can limit rights that you don't have in the first place.
    you have declared rights do not exist..but below you say they do!



    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The 19th effectively gave females the right to vote. There is no doubt about that in the rational mind of any thinking person who knows history.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It most certainly does and I already gave you several examples including rights contained in the Sixth Amendment and the various right to vote provisions.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Everything in that article confirms that the right to vote was given to women by the 19th Amendment. This proves you wrong beyond any doubt. For you to deny it - yet again - is simply a sign of your refusal to accept reality and fact because it would destroy your extremist self imposed belief system.
    Last edited by Master PO; 05-19-15 at 09:49 AM.

Page 36 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •