View Poll Results: US Political Has Improved/Will Improve?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Has Improved/Will Improve

    2 9.52%
  • Has Improved/Will Not Improve

    0 0%
  • Has Not Improved/Will Not Improve

    15 71.43%
  • Has Not Improved/Will Improve

    4 19.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,725

    US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Poll incoming:

    To elaborate, do you believe that the overall political situation, meaning your satisfaction with how the USA is governed, the political ideology of its people, the application of the law and justice, voting and representation, has improved in your lifetime?

    And do you believe that it WILL or WONT improve in your remaining lifetime?

  2. #2
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Poll incoming:

    To elaborate, do you believe that the overall political situation, meaning your satisfaction with how the USA is governed, the political ideology of its people, the application of the law and justice, voting and representation, has improved in your lifetime?

    And do you believe that it WILL or WONT improve in your remaining lifetime?
    It would be difficult for anyone to say that the last congress worked. Reid was the stumbling block that insulated Obama from anything that came from the House. Congress seems to be working in this session. I'm not sure what's coming out of it are good but at least there is work going on.

    Having said that, the government is still dysfunctional. It's a bloated bureaucracy which doesn't work efficiently doing anything. The government is most interested in perpetuating itself and it's power. The justice department is racially tainted, involving itself in the recent high profile police shootings prior to having a thorough investigation and without knowing all of the evidence. On much lower levels, they send representatives to the funerals of murdered police officers but none of the funerals get the attention that the police shootings get.

    Do I think it will get better? Maybe.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  3. #3
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    08-12-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Improved in my lifetime? In many ways, most definitely yes, but then again -- my lifetime extends back a bit longer than the majority here.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,725

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    It would be difficult for anyone to say that the last congress worked. Reid was the stumbling block that insulated Obama from anything that came from the House. Congress seems to be working in this session. I'm not sure what's coming out of it are good but at least there is work going on.

    Having said that, the government is still dysfunctional. It's a bloated bureaucracy which doesn't work efficiently doing anything. The government is most interested in perpetuating itself and it's power. The justice department is racially tainted, involving itself in the recent high profile police shootings prior to having a thorough investigation and without knowing all of the evidence. On much lower levels, they send representatives to the funerals of murdered police officers but none of the funerals get the attention that the police shootings get.

    Do I think it will get better? Maybe.
    Being a libertarian, do you think that, before you die, you will see an increase in liberty, ie less laws, more freedom, lower taxes, more of your fellow citizens agreeing with your philosophy, being represented in congress, etc?

    Or the converse? Higher, more unfair taxes. More foreign intervention, curbs on speech, conflict with individual and states rights?

  5. #5
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Poll incoming:

    To elaborate, do you believe that the overall political situation, meaning your satisfaction with how the USA is governed, the political ideology of its people, the application of the law and justice, voting and representation, has improved in your lifetime?

    And do you believe that it WILL or WONT improve in your remaining lifetime?
    Has not improved and don't know if it will given patronizing American voters unconditional support for their party which trumps all.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #6
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Being a libertarian, do you think that, before you die, you will see an increase in liberty, ie less laws, more freedom, lower taxes, more of your fellow citizens agreeing with your philosophy, being represented in congress, etc?

    Or the converse? Higher, more unfair taxes. More foreign intervention, curbs on speech, conflict with individual and states rights?
    To paraphrase Golda Maier, we will see an increase in liberty when politicians love freedom more than they love their power.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,725

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    To paraphrase Golda Maier, we will see an increase in liberty when politicians love freedom more than they love their power.
    Thats a no then. What does that say about the possibility of happiness then if we plan to die before ever really being free?

  8. #8
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Thats a no then. What does that say about the possibility of happiness then if we plan to die before ever really being free?
    If you look to government for your happiness, that's a whole other issue.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,725

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    If you look to government for your happiness, that's a whole other issue.
    Governments are formed to protect my right and ability to pursue happiness, so yeah.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    7,570

    Re: US Political Situation Better or Worse in your Lifetime?

    I voted Has improved/Will improve but it wasn't an easy choice because I feel differently about the different criteria you mention.

    For example, in my lifetime, I feel as though the way in which the US is governed has gotten worse. Our government has become more authoritarian, more intrusive, and more beholden to corporate interests. However, I feel the political ideology of the citizenry, in general, has improved.

    I believe the application of the law and justice has improved or stayed about the same. I do think those with power, while still underserved by the justice system, are being treated more fairly than they used to.

    Voting and representation has gotten worse. The richer the uber wealthy and corporations become the more influence they have. Politicians care more about dollars than votes because dollars buy votes. Over 90% of non-Presidential elections are won by the candidate who spent the most money, and much of that money doesn't even come from the candidate's constituents.

    So as to whether or not it HAS improved my personal scale, slightly, leaned toward yes.

    I also voted I think it WILL improve. Why? Because I believe that within the next decade or two the States will call a Constitutional Convention to pass an amendment to get money out of politics. Several states have already officially called for it. This will allow us to completely bypass the US Congress, who is already too far in the pockets of special interests to take the initiative. Once that happens politicians will have to earn votes the old fashioned way, by being responsive to their constituents. And since I believe the political inclinations of the people is slowly but steadily improving, their untainted (or less tainted) votes will lead to an improving in the government as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •