View Poll Results: Should we get rid of welfare?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Nothing wrong with soup kitchens

    20 45.45%
  • No. Freebies are great

    24 54.55%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 182

Thread: Should we end welfare?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Should we end welfare?

    We have a cultural problem in America, particularly inner city, with people living on public money and not being productive members of society.

    Part of the problem is that underclass inner city women begin having babies at age 15. They continue to have babies, with different men, until they have had five or six. These women do not go to school. They do not work. They are not ashamed to live on public money. They plan their entire lives around the expectation that they will always get free money and never have to work.

    The inner city men who are part of the problem also do not work. They get social security disability payments for a mental defect or for a vague and invisible physical ailment. They do not pay for anything: not for housing (Grandma lives on welfare and he lives with her), not for food (Grandma and the baby-momma share with him), and not for child support.

    I once asked a 19 year old with no job and no schooling from the inner city, "What do you do all day?”

    “You know, just chill.” These men live in a culture with no expectations, no demands, and no shame.

    Should we change that? Should we get rid of the handouts and end welfare?

    Nothing wrong with the old soup kitchen. I don't believe in letting people starve, but let's get rid of food stamps, welfare payments, and other bs government giveaways.

    Let's make these people learn personal responsibility

  2. #2
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    03-21-17 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,223

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    There are ways to structure social safety nets that mitigate or minimize the damage that you are describing. Get rid of welfare? No, but reform it, sharply, to at least stop punishing good decisions and rewarding bad ones.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  3. #3
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,736
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Why just welfare that goes to people in the inner city? What about the rest of the welfare?
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    09-08-15 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    I think all welfare should cease. Until each case is reviewed and authorized by a medical professional.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    There are ways to structure social safety nets that mitigate or minimize the damage that you are describing. Get rid of welfare? No, but reform it, sharply, to at least stop punishing good decisions and rewarding bad ones.
    What value does welfare add that can't be met with soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and giveaways of essentials like used clothing?

    Our safety nets are bloated and only encourage dependence

  6. #6
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,449

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    There are ways to structure social safety nets that mitigate or minimize the damage that you are describing. Get rid of welfare? No, but reform it, sharply, to at least stop punishing good decisions and rewarding bad ones.
    what he said

    and it should be a state power not federal
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  7. #7
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,991
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Let's make these people learn personal responsibility
    Wut. Seriously. What the heck are you talking about?

    These inner city people are "unproductive" members of society, because society has failed them at every single twist in their life. Have you ever BEEN to an inner city school, Peter? These are underfunded bare-bone holding tanks. Even kids with a drive towards "personality responsibility" go into these drugged up, gun-filled, poverty-stricken holes in the ground and then are systematically denied every single opportunity that they try pursuing. These students graduate into the world without even the sliver of basic knowledge needed to get a job or even sustain a productive life; and worse off they've learned the lesson that society will never give them the opportunity to succeed, so why the hell should they even try?

    ... and that's just the beginning of the problem. Inner cities are vastly underfunded by local, state and the federal government. They do not get the time of day, nor the single dollar to keep even the most basic services running. That's hospitals, roads, fire and police protection, community parks and recreation programs, and on and on and on. Our governments take one look at the "lower property value" areas of their communities and laugh at the idea of giving poor people the hundreds of millions that are actually needed to fix them.

    So, no. Absolutely no. You're gung-ho "let's learn about personal responsibility" bull****, means that millions of desperate people who DO NOT have the education, who DO NOT have the life-stabilizing capital, who DO NOT even have a starting point, will be suddenly starved of the money that's keeping them alive. You know what happens when that **** hits the fan? Crime. Riots. Civil disobedience. Every social ill that we've reduced to historically low levels in 2015, being immediately shot through the roof and plunking off the moon as it heads for the stars. And all of that, all of that ridiculous dysfunction, crashing right down onto poor Peter Grimm's head ... because neither you nor your family lives in a castle surrounded by a crocodile-filled moat to keep the poor people away, do ya?

    Hell to the no.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  8. #8
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,953

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    We have a cultural problem in America, particularly inner city, with people living on public money and not being productive members of society.

    Part of the problem is that underclass inner city women begin having babies at age 15. They continue to have babies, with different men, until they have had five or six. These women do not go to school. They do not work. They are not ashamed to live on public money. They plan their entire lives around the expectation that they will always get free money and never have to work.

    The inner city men who are part of the problem also do not work. They get social security disability payments for a mental defect or for a vague and invisible physical ailment. They do not pay for anything: not for housing (Grandma lives on welfare and he lives with her), not for food (Grandma and the baby-momma share with him), and not for child support.

    I once asked a 19 year old with no job and no schooling from the inner city, "What do you do all day?”

    “You know, just chill.” These men live in a culture with no expectations, no demands, and no shame.

    Should we change that? Should we get rid of the handouts and end welfare?

    Nothing wrong with the old soup kitchen. I don't believe in letting people starve, but let's get rid of food stamps, welfare payments, and other bs government giveaways.

    Let's make these people learn personal responsibility
    Define welfare first... because there is a lot of it around.
    PeteEU

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    37,163

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    It needs some very serious reforming, but do away with it altogether? No.

    I also think it needs to a state issue, not federal.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #10
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,449

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It needs some very serious reforming, but do away with it altogether? No.

    I also think it needs to a state issue, not federal.
    which is what the founders intended. If a state is too generous, it will learn that quickly as too many teat sucklers will migrate to that state and it will go bankrupt. so its self policing
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •