View Poll Results: Should we get rid of welfare?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Nothing wrong with soup kitchens

    20 45.45%
  • No. Freebies are great

    24 54.55%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 182

Thread: Should we end welfare?

  1. #31
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    We spend nearly a trillion dollars each year on means tested handouts. A trillion bucks will buy a lot of soup...
    Outside of urban centers, distribution will cost a lot of that trillion dollars. The majority of those who need food stamps do not live in urban centers. The urban poor are merely a very conspicuous example, given the contrast to the wealth that most of the rest of a city enjoys. And, of course, they usually aren't white, while the rural poor usually are. We both know that these two groups are not discussed in the same way.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #32
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,333

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Define welfare first... because there is a lot of it around.
    any entity/person/group the federal government gives money which has not provided the federal government with goods or services in exchange.
    Last edited by Master PO; 05-11-15 at 06:33 PM.

  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,813

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    The poll is dumb. Baiting dumb.

    No, freebies aren't great, but also no, it shouldn't be eliminated completely. As some have already said, it need serious reforming, not the continual expanding that we have been doing.
    Donald Trump is a pied piper for the stupid.
    In that sense the man is a freakin' genius.

  4. #34
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Because there is no "just" behind any of it. Poverty is a multi-systemic experience.

    Welfare reform is just one small component to a greater societal issue, and we have difficulty with doing that correctly.

    Each component is being worked or or advocated for to better work the poor, and there is enormous political tugging toward what that better is. This means even *if* we have a clue as to what works (and often we don't have that certainty among researchers, let alone lawmakers and the public at large), there is usually no agreement on action when it gets outside the all-too-certain researchers. Then after that implementation runs into an unknown quantity of issues.
    No, it's not a single solution to the problem. But I fully believe it would do a lot of good to help things.

  5. #35
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    We already fund our schools. And our inner cities. The problem is too many inner city kids are not well behaved, don't have pride or work ethic, and would rather make babies or "chill" and do drugs than graduate and make something of themselves.

    That's not my problem or yours.
    We do not fund our schools even close to equally, and that is a problem. It's not just a matter of work ethic when your schools suck and aren't preparing you for the world outside of your neighborhood.

    It actually is my problem, and yours because our tax money goes to this. I'd rather it go towards something that has a chance at changing the system, instead of putting a bandaid on it.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,954

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Wut. Seriously. What the heck are you talking about?

    These inner city people are "unproductive" members of society, because society has failed them at every single twist in their life. Have you ever BEEN to an inner city school, Peter? These are underfunded bare-bone holding tanks. Even kids with a drive towards "personality responsibility" go into these drugged up, gun-filled, poverty-stricken holes in the ground and then are systematically denied every single opportunity that they try pursuing. These students graduate into the world without even the sliver of basic knowledge needed to get a job or even sustain a productive life; and worse off they've learned the lesson that society will never give them the opportunity to succeed, so why the hell should they even try?
    I have. I taught in one. There are books. There are teachers. Learning can take place. It isn't the school, it is the culture that they live in. Dad doesn't work or there is no dad so son doesn't work or knocks up a girl and won't be a dad himself. They know there is a safety net because mom gets food stamps, etc. They know they can bail because their ex-girlfriend will get food stamps if they bail. Nobody failed them but their parents. Society is trying to help them and they won't help themselves. You sum it up nicely... society helps them live bare-boned so why should they even try to do better when they are fine with that life style?

  7. #37
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,954

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    We do not fund our schools even close to equally, and that is a problem. It's not just a matter of work ethic when your schools suck and aren't preparing you for the world outside of your neighborhood.

    It actually is my problem, and yours because our tax money goes to this. I'd rather it go towards something that has a chance at changing the system, instead of putting a bandaid on it.
    Funding isn't relevant. There are books. There are libraries with computers. There are teachers. There are teachers that go the extra mile, in fact. I have taught at an elite private school and an inner city one and in between and learning is about attitude and motivation. That is it. Nothing more.

  8. #38
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Funding isn't relevant. There are books. There are libraries with computers. There are teachers. There are teachers that go the extra mile, in fact. I have taught at an elite private school and an inner city one and in between and learning is about attitude and motivation. That is it. Nothing more.
    Well, heck, then why fund schools at all??

  9. #39
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,006

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    No, it's not a single solution to the problem. But I fully believe it would do a lot of good to help things.
    And improving education so that it is more equitable for various demographics involves a large number of reforms, programs, and data tracking mechanisms, all of which are immensely difficult to design, let alone implement, and reflect with accuracy.

    Saying "fix education" is something most can agree with, but knowing what to do and doing it are three very different things.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should we end welfare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    We have a cultural problem in America, particularly inner city, with people living on public money and not being productive members of society.

    Part of the problem is that underclass inner city women begin having babies at age 15. They continue to have babies, with different men, until they have had five or six. These women do not go to school. They do not work. They are not ashamed to live on public money. They plan their entire lives around the expectation that they will always get free money and never have to work.

    The inner city men who are part of the problem also do not work. They get social security disability payments for a mental defect or for a vague and invisible physical ailment. They do not pay for anything: not for housing (Grandma lives on welfare and he lives with her), not for food (Grandma and the baby-momma share with him), and not for child support.

    I once asked a 19 year old with no job and no schooling from the inner city, "What do you do all day?”

    “You know, just chill.” These men live in a culture with no expectations, no demands, and no shame.

    Should we change that? Should we get rid of the handouts and end welfare?

    Nothing wrong with the old soup kitchen. I don't believe in letting people starve, but let's get rid of food stamps, welfare payments, and other bs government giveaways.

    Let's make these people learn personal responsibility
    Provide stats to prove the problem is as significant as you claim.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •