View Poll Results: Would you patronize a business that discriminated based on race?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope

    70 90.91%
  • Yep

    7 9.09%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 194

Thread: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,762

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Nope. Most wouldn't, but that's still not good enough reason to allow said discrimination, as many libertarians/conservatives would argue.
    I don't know about that. I much prefer argumentation to government coercion, where it is possible. The danger from allowing government to use force to suppress opinion is like playing with fire in the barn.

  2. #62
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe



    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,219

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Same here. I think that, unfortunately, a lot of people think it's OK to hate Native Americans. I don't understand it, but it's there, and it's brushed under the rug, just like other kinds of discrimination that shall not be spoken of in this thread.
    Yeah, I can't really wrap my brain about hatred of Native Americans. I mean, shouldn't it actually be the other way around, given history and all? Sad.

  3. #63
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-17 @ 05:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    I'd need the specific example to answer, since about everything now is declared "racism" and being "racist."

    An example of when I won't do business at a location is if they have a sign for a candidate I oppose. I wonder if my doing business with that company/business is somehow financing that candidate.

  4. #64
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,990

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    If it was legal .....

    If a business -- any business -- decided to put a sign in their window saying "No [insert any race here] Allowed", would you still patronize that business?

    Anonymous poll.
    Underlying your question is the assumption that when businesses discriminate, they do so overtly. The reality is that most discrimination happens covertly.

    Take Denny's, for example. They had a long history of discriminating against blacks. Thing is, their white customers didn't know it.

    Denny's Restaurants to Pay $54 Million in Race Bias Suits - NYTimes.com

    When an employer discriminates, they don't tell the black applicants "We didn't hire you becuase you're black". The white landlord doesn't say "We won't rent to you because you're black". The white storeowner doesn't say "We purposely kept you waiting for hours and then screwed up your order on purpose because you're black"
    Last edited by sangha; 05-02-15 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #65
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-17 @ 05:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hating whites is not racism, it's merely racial bigotry. Racism is a social construct and minorities have no power to institute nor perpetuate majority privilege for themselves; therefore, a black hating whites is of no threat to whites collectively. Without a collective threat, it's an individual act and not an ism.

    Don't get me wrong, I condemn racial bigotry by anyone. But pretending a black hating whites has the same impact on society is plain stupid.
    Except you assert there are not instance of collective hatred of whites and you assume that there are no black dominated communities and institutions - which is outright false.

    I think most are aware of your total rejection of any conception of individual rights or individuality whatsoever. In your view, everyone is nothing more than one of cattle of different herds for which the only meaning of the cattle is the their color.

    In my opinion and definitions, your messages are the quintessential definition of a racist and racism - the denial of the humanity, merits and rights of the individual to singularly see and measure people on in racial terms.

    You also have the most degrading view possible of blacks as you demand that all are victims and without power - which is therefore you fundamentally declaring you are of the power-race and you declare all blacks are your victims.

    The 1960s are dead.

  6. #66
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-17 @ 05:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    The media absolutely has nearly all people totally conditioned, don't they?

    WHY is everyone assuming the poll is about a white business discriminating against blacks?

    What about Asian-owned businesses that only hire Asian employees? Or Latino and black small businesses that only hire those of their own race?

  7. #67
    The Unrepentant RINO**DINO
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,330

    Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Yeah, I can't really wrap my brain about hatred of Native Americans. I mean, shouldn't it actually be the other way around, given history and all? Sad.
    They are a defeated people in the past and people see them as a group stuck in their problems unwilling or unable to move on. Poverty, alcoholism, and so on are real problems, but it tends to make people treat them with disrespect. All other people see these days is that alcoholism and poverty and don't treat them as human beings. They are mocked so often that you didn't have black jokes...you had native jokes instead.

    There's plenty of stuff going on how we care so much for the Native American and whatever, but they are just full of it.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 05-03-15 at 12:07 AM.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  8. #68
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,791
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Yeah, I can't really wrap my brain about hatred of Native Americans. I mean, shouldn't it actually be the other way around, given history and all? Sad.
    I'll kind of tag on to what Fiddy said.

    Certainly up here I've known many people who really dislike Aboriginal Canadians for various reasons.

    One guy I knew from Quebec flat out HATED them because he'd been assaulted in bars a couple of times by them because they were so drunk.

    Another guy out in Ontario told me there was a reserve close to his town, he was a big hockey player and loved to Referee but he would NEVER ref in the reserve because the parents and kids would often threaten referees for making a call they didn't like.

    I spoke to a Night audit in Alberta, he said they had the Aboriginal hockey tournament there a few days before, they hired extra security and the guy quit after 3 hours.

    He said during the tournament one guy pulled a gun on a Referee during play etc.

    There's plenty of negativity out there directed towards the Aboriginal community and it's the same with Australians as well.

    For me, my new job has me working closely at times with several leaders of aboriginal communities and the experience has been very positive.

    The Aboriginal community has many problems and those problems have become so endemic that it's not all that surprising many associate negativity with the community as a force of habit.

    All you have to do is read this article by a Native Canadian to see what I mean.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/canada...ve-people.html

  9. #69
    The Unrepentant RINO**DINO
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,330

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Oh, stop it right now. Jeez.
    I disagree with the necessity for the distinction that people like eco bring up, however, the lack of necessity strikes both directions.

    Under your model, racism is a form of bigotry which denotes the belief in the superiority of one race over the other or the disdain of one race over the other.

    Under eco's model, racism is a form of bigotry which not only denotes the belief in the superiority of one race over the other, but also the social strength of those beliefs. As whites are currently a numerical majority as well as a power majority, the belief of white superiority and disdain of racial minorities would have more power than a non-white person operating under the same belief principles toward the racial majority.

    Now, the strength of this observation of eco's is that it correctly posits the importance of power in a relationship, but his weakness is in not extending its relativistic qualities to other avenues of life. For instance, a white person in Harlem is not going to have the same balance of power that he would in a majority-white suburban environment.

    Nevertheless, none of that truly matters for what you and everyone else get upset about. Eco's distinction is almost reduced to utter meaninglessness. He's not suggesting that racial minorities are incapable of being bigoted toward whites (such a suggestion would be mindnumbingly stupid). However, people like Eco are merely adopting the term "racism" in order to reintroduce concepts of power. The problem is that people like eco are reintroducing concepts of power that few people of worth disagree with. All they are doing is trying to morph the immediate understanding of a term. In the end, it does just about nothing constructive. It just says what anyone worth a damn would say about race relations to begin with.

    In summary: People like eco aren't saying anything new or unimaginable, but you give them power by reacting so negatively. They are just linguistic trolls. It makes them feel cool and lands up being one of the hipster lines in the film Dear White People.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 05-03-15 at 03:11 AM.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    If it was legal .....

    If a business -- any business -- decided to put a sign in their window saying "No [insert any race here] Allowed", would you still patronize that business?

    Anonymous poll.
    I would patronize the business.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •