View Poll Results: Would you patronize a business that discriminated based on race?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope

    70 90.91%
  • Yep

    7 9.09%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 194

Thread: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

  1. #141
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    05-27-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,664

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    actually i am making a point, because you said this:




    when slavery existed in the north as well as the south....but you knew that, you just wanted to be bias. (sic)
    I confirmed your point that bigots and racists existed (and still do ) everywhere in the US, but being context free, you still missed the point. The point was that the laws allowing discrimination (slavery) were largely influenced by BUSINESS interests who wanted the cheap labor. The argument that it was not a market driven law is a complete ignoring of the history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    05-27-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,664

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You use the word "discrimination" incorrectly, you know that? To discriminate means to recognize a distinction between two things. To call someone a "discriminating gentleman " would be a compliment.

    The civil rights crowd running around yelling "that's discrimination" just sound ignorant. /rant
    You know exactly what discrimination is referring to, you admitted such when you said you did not want govt telling you cannot discriminate, the whole context of the debate is about sexual, racial, religious discrimination, and not about "taste". You argument is simply looking for a semantic diversion from its avocation of said discrimination.

    Pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #143
    Sage
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,851

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    That's what I'm assuming. A business would never survive.
    I disagree with your conclusion. While it may not be popular, it might serve enough of a niche to actually prosper.

  4. #144
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,157

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I confirmed your point that bigots and racists existed (and still do ) everywhere in the US, but being context free, you still missed the point. The point was that the laws allowing discrimination (slavery) were largely influenced by BUSINESS interests who wanted the cheap labor. The argument that it was not a market driven law is a complete ignoring of the history.
    yes there still are bigots and racists, which is not against the law to be one...as some people would like for it to be.

  5. #145
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    05-27-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,664

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm sure you think you have a point there. Just because something is legal doesn't mean I endorse it.
    Pathetic diversionary BS.

    This is the debate, you advocate for racial discrimination by business:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Not much, right now, you have folks, like yourself, advocating the legality of racial discrimination in public accommodation...just like defenders of Jim Crow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the government being able to tell a business who they can or can't serve, and I think the public has evolved enough over the years to where any business that wanted to discriminate by race would find themselves broke very quickly

    I don't think anti discrimination laws are American, and they're not needed anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    05-27-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,664

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    yes there still are bigots and racists, which is not against the law to be one...as some people would like for it to be.
    Again , the CONTEXT is that the ACTIONS of bigots is illegal, and folks are arguing that businesses should be allowed to practice illegal, racist actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #147
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,157

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Again , the CONTEXT is that the ACTIONS of bigots is illegal, and folks are arguing that businesses should be allowed to practice illegal, racist actions.
    if there is no victim.....meaning that no rights are violated or no threat to the public......it cannot be illegal.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Yeah, I know -- I know all about the Civil rights movement, but do you honestly believe that, had all those in the fight not fought and died for civil rights, we'd still be where we were beforehand?

    I'd like to think not. I'd like to think that we've evolved, and that in 2015, we wouldn't have white's only lunch counters.
    Probably not whites-only, but "no gays or Muslims allowed" is likely to happen.

  9. #149
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,303
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Probably not but I would respect their right to do so.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    04-10-17 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,259

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Probably not but I would respect their right to do so.
    It is not a right once the doors are open to the general public.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •