View Poll Results: Would you patronize a business that discriminated based on race?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope

    70 90.91%
  • Yep

    7 9.09%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 194

Thread: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,667

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It wasn't the free market that caused Jim Crow laws, but a government that felt compelled to force businesses to discriminate.
    Of course....and it was the Dixie govts that came up with slavery....it was forced upon the Plantations!

    It is an upside-down libertarian world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #122
    Actually I am.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,388

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Or businesses refusing to serve based on other biologic conditions....and having kooks defending those same discriminating business practices. Yeah, you would think that folks would have evolved enough to not even think that it is OK for business owners to discriminate.
    I know it still happens. I remember in the late 80s, a local Hardee's (it may be a Carl's Jr to you) ended up shutting down because a cook in the kitchen had HIV. They had a note posted on the door, said that the Dept of Health made them do it. Back then, a lot of misinformation scared a lot of people and made for a lot of bad policy. Anyway, the sign was posted, business fell off and the store ended up shutting down.

    I don't agree with any kind of discrimination, for any reason. I just hate to think that we haven't evolved to the point that this would still be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug
    Asking Sarah Palin to head up the Department of Education is like asking Hitler to head up a human rights advocacy group.

  3. #123
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,333

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Of course....and it was the....it was forced upon the Plantations!

    It is an upside-down libertarian world.


    i guess who don't wish to mention slavery in the north?

  4. #124
    Real life Dungeon Master
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,846

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Depends on whether or not it sold sex and/or pizza, and the quality of said sex and/or pizza. But most likely, no I wouldn't.

    ...Unless it said something funny, like No Oompa-Loompas Allowed or No Muggles Allowed. Then I would definitely frequent that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Why not? Haven't you heard of young earthers, they are just as ignorant as flat earthers. Might even be the same people.
    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Socks in real life? Say it ain't so. God needs to ban 'em.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Of course....and it was the Dixie govts that came up with slavery....it was forced upon the Plantations!

    It is an upside-down libertarian world.
    Yes, Jim Crow laws mandated discrimination. The only way to get back to that point without a great deal of push back is if there was significant support for those laws. There is only a very small number of establishments that would even think of discriminating in such a way today and all of those from what I can tell are small businesses that are never going to become large players in the marketplace.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    37,322

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    so some hospitals may refuse to cure a black guy ? just a question.52 users approve this ? interesting.and how can it be legal in this century,thats another question
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  7. #127
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,667

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I know it still happens. I just hate to think that we haven't evolved to the point that this would still be a problem.
    So is your ultimate argument that we have evolved enough to not need anti-discrimination laws.....even in light of volk here arguing that businesses should be able to discriminate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I know it still happens. I remember in the late 80s, a local Hardee's (it may be a Carl's Jr to you) ended up shutting down because a cook in the kitchen had HIV. They had a note posted on the door, said that the Dept of Health made them do it. Back then, a lot of misinformation scared a lot of people and made for a lot of bad policy. Anyway, the sign was posted, business fell off and the store ended up shutting down.

    I don't agree with any kind of discrimination, for any reason. I just hate to think that we haven't evolved to the point that this would still be a problem.
    Technically kicking out stinky people is discrimination. I however support discriminatory practices against stink.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,667

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, Jim Crow laws mandated discrimination.
    That was not the point, the point is you think the discrimination came from govt and was forced upon business, it wasn't, not even in Antebellum South. You have it all backaswards as per usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,667

    Re: Would you patronize a business that discriminated against a race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Technically kicking out stinky people is discrimination. I however support discriminatory practices against stink.
    No, it is not what we are talking about, but it is tell of where your argument level remains, ie adolescent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •