View Poll Results: Up or Down?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thumbs Up

    31 68.89%
  • Thumbs Down

    14 31.11%
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 334

Thread: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

  1. #271
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,799

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    I was required to attend an AA meeting as part of a school assignment in one of my psych courses. I don't agree with all their steps but it does help people. Alcoholism is an addiction, I wouldn't classify it as a disease in the sense that you have no control over it. However, once addicted it's easy for sober people to relapse and it is a significant mental and physical process to quit drinking.

    It might not be the best program, but when I went the people seemed extremely welcoming, helpful, and those attending were getting support with many being sober for many years due to the support they get from AA. If it helps alcoholics quit drinking and turn their lives around I'm all for it.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Hazelden Treatment Center and AA Statistics - Belief versus Fact: What is the truth about AA's success rate?

    There is clearly a bias here. But nevertheless, this article provides some interesting information.

    And, once again, if AA/CA works for you...power to you.

    But, having attended several CA meetings and having had many dealing a with those who have gone to MANY AA/CA mertings, it is a religious-based organization whose success rate is far less impressive then generally advertised.

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Firstly, I'll respond in any way I choose. Secondly, I thought you were leaving. And thirdly, why do you want to know?
    Lol...two things;

    One - since you apparently will not answer even a simple question and since I believe you stated earlier that you have counselled people then I am going to assume your answer is 'yes - you have counselled people on various addictions for profit'.
    If that is true, then you are incredibly biased on this subject as you are deriving income from it.

    Two - I gotta tell you; and I mean no offense; I have known MANY counsellors and shrinks (personally, socially and professionally), and you have about the worst attitude i have ever seen. You are exceedingly defensive, rude and I'll-tempered in your responses in this thread to ANYONE who dares disagree with you.
    I hope for the sake of those that you counselled that this attitude is confined to the Internet and that you handle yourself with far more patience and professionalism in the real world.


    We are done here - for now

    Good day.

  4. #274
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,976
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Lol...two things;

    One - since you apparently will not answer even a simple question and since I believe you stated earlier that you have counselled people then I am going to assume your answer is 'yes - you have counselled people on various addictions for profit'.
    If that is true, then you are incredibly biased on this subject as you are deriving income from it.

    Two - I gotta tell you; and I mean no offense; I have known MANY counsellors and shrinks (personally, socially and professionally), and you have about the worst attitude i have ever seen. You are exceedingly defensive, rude and I'll-tempered in your responses in this thread to ANYONE who dares disagree with you.
    I hope for the sake of those that you counselled that this attitude is confined to the Internet and that you handle yourself with far more patience and professionalism in the real world.


    We are done here - for now

    Good day.
    And you are being civil, non defensive, open, accepting in this post?

    Among those who have giving their own thoughts and witness as members of AA or Al-Anon, who has been more accusatory, defensive, rude, or uncivil here? Them? Or the ones trying to accuse or denigrate AA?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #275
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,652

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Lol...two things;

    One - since you apparently will not answer even a simple question and since I believe you stated earlier that you have counselled people then I am going to assume your answer is 'yes - you have counselled people on various addictions for profit'.
    If that is true, then you are incredibly biased on this subject as you are deriving income from it.
    LOL. So we shouldn't listen to surgeons when the topic is surgery because surgeons derive income from doing surgery? I'm not sure what your point is, but someone deriving income from something doesn't disqualify their opinion on their profession. In most cases, we'd consider such people who devote a career to a certain endeavor informed experts.

    And the problem is what you and others have done is recount your own personal experiences and then condemned AA/NA as a whole based on that. What it demonstrates is the program didn't work for you, but we're all glad you've managed to overcome your problem other ways. It does work for others, and there is no need to condemn a program that simply does work for many others.

    Two - I gotta tell you; and I mean no offense; I have known MANY counsellors and shrinks (personally, socially and professionally), and you have about the worst attitude i have ever seen. You are exceedingly defensive, rude and I'll-tempered in your responses in this thread to ANYONE who dares disagree with you.
    I hope for the sake of those that you counselled that this attitude is confined to the Internet and that you handle yourself with far more patience and professionalism in the real world.

    We are done here - for now

    Good day.
    From where I sit this has been a pretty civil discussion, CaptainCourtesy included.

  6. #276
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,652

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Hazelden Treatment Center and AA Statistics - Belief versus Fact: What is the truth about AA's success rate?

    There is clearly a bias here. But nevertheless, this article provides some interesting information.

    And, once again, if AA/CA works for you...power to you.

    But, having attended several CA meetings and having had many dealing a with those who have gone to MANY AA/CA mertings, it is a religious-based organization whose success rate is far less impressive then generally advertised.
    And having attended meetings for nearly 9 years, I can offer a very informed opinion that it's NOT a religious based organization. For some people the 'higher power' element (i.e. God) of the program is central to their recovery. For many others, it's not, and I'm in the latter category. I haven't attended church for years. And in most decent sized meetings, people attending will run the gamut from confirmed atheists to the very religious.

    In fact, surprising to me when I first became aware of it, the Christian evangelical types in my area don't often attend AA because they don't agree with the concept that there can be many possible and acceptable 'higher powers.' For them, there is only ONE God - the God of the Bible. There are several explicitly Christian recovery programs in the area that cater to that group, and I hope those attending are successful and live happy, sober, productive lives. I've been to their meetings and they are popular and I assume the hundreds that attend one big program nearby derive a great benefit from the services, but they are definitely NOT for me. No problem!
    Last edited by JasperL; 05-11-15 at 02:23 PM.

  7. #277
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,523

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You are comparing AA to gangs? There is no comparison here. Gangs are not aimed at the good of the group AND the individual. Gangs are aimed towards the good of the leaders.
    Groups to groups... there are other comparisons that I am sure you will also discount so I wont bother...

    No, you don't trump me. I have quite a bit of experience in that area, too. In a teacher-student relationship, both members are key in the learning process. I would think you would know that.
    Of course there is a relationship but if you don't understand that a teacher can try to motivate and teach a student that will not learn because they do not want to learn then you really, and literally, have no idea what you are talking about. I trump you so badly that you don't even realize it apparently...

    No, you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  8. #278
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    12th day sober for me now - am coming down off the "pink cloud" I was on the first 10 days or so.

    Mom and Dad don't want me going to AA - in fact, they are trying to "sabotage" my sobriety. I basically have to lie to them as to where I'm going with the car these days, just to placate them. Am going to try to steal away later this morning and go to a 7:00am meeting - sponsor wants me out of the house asap, telling me to go to Craigslist and put out an ad and/or look for an apartment. May have to separate from my parents, at least for awhile.

    Will keep you guys posted.

  9. #279
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    151,298

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    I would be interested to hear about this
    I've seen people use their AA group as their "higher power". Their parents. Someone they admire. A movie. One friend used his left shoe (for a very specific reason). There are lots of options. All it has to be is representative of something greater than yourself.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #280
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    151,298

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Lol...two things;

    One - since you apparently will not answer even a simple question and since I believe you stated earlier that you have counselled people then I am going to assume your answer is 'yes - you have counselled people on various addictions for profit'.
    If that is true, then you are incredibly biased on this subject as you are deriving income from it.
    No, that's your own opinion and truthfully, it has no value. You don't know me and I have no bias on AA. I've seen it work. I've also seen some pretty poor AA meetings. I will recommend things that I see work. Your opinion is baseless. Also, my salary has does not prevent me from being able to speak on the subject. In fact, my job gives me more credibility to speak on it than you.

    Two - I gotta tell you; and I mean no offense; I have known MANY counsellors and shrinks (personally, socially and professionally), and you have about the worst attitude i have ever seen. You are exceedingly defensive, rude and I'll-tempered in your responses in this thread to ANYONE who dares disagree with you.
    I hope for the sake of those that you counselled that this attitude is confined to the Internet and that you handle yourself with far more patience and professionalism in the real world.
    I respond to people in the way that they present. You present as a holier-than-thou know it all about things that you actually don't know much about. You made presumptions that are not only incorrect, but are fairly ignorant and based on your biases. I don't suffer people like that, well. You got what you gave: aggressive posting. Next time try dropping the attitude and try not making stupid overgeneralizations about groups of people based on nothing but your experience. Perhaps then our interactions might be a bit more to your liking. But I always give what I get.

    As far as outside the internet, I call out clients on their crap all the time. Helps them a lot. They all know that I am direct and honest with them, even if it means being hard on them. From feedback I've gotten, it's earned me a lot of respect.

    We are done here - for now

    Good day.
    If that's true, OK with me.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 05-12-15 at 03:48 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •