View Poll Results: Up or Down?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thumbs Up

    31 68.89%
  • Thumbs Down

    14 31.11%
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 334

Thread: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

  1. #191
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,216

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Maybe... maybe not. I do know that people have more strength than they give themselves credit for in general.
    Okay...thanks...

  2. #192
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,286

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Okay...thanks...
    No need to try to blow me off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  3. #193
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,216

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No need to try to blow me off...
    I'm not, Bod. You've made your position clear. I get it. Really...

  4. #194
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,286

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I'm not, Bod. You've made your position clear. I get it. Really...
    I guess that I don't get why you disagree... all good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  5. #195
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,500

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I am a black and white guy generally when I talk. I say what I mean and I mean what I say... don't read into it like you apparently have.

    I said nothing of a personal weakness or that AA doesn't help.
    It's no big deal but you actually did, and I quote: "There are those that need that cult brotherhood in order to find strength because they are weak." And no one uses the term "crutch" in a positive light.

    And sure, it's ultimately up to the individual to make the changes needed to live sober, but your teacher analogy was perfect - we've all hopefully been lucky enough to have had a teacher that changed our lives. Doesn't mean we didn't have to do the work, study, etc. But for some of us, it would be an act of hubris to pretend that we did it on our own - we didn't.

    Maybe we're splitting words here. Not sure. It's all good though. I'm happy for anyone who found a way, doesn't matter which one.

  6. #196
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,216

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I guess that I don't get why you disagree... all good though.
    I can clearly see why you don't get why I disagree. This is a seriously complex issue that you aren't connect to. That's for starters. But really, Bod, it doesn't matter.

    And of course its all good. I've said in my past few posts...it really is all good.

    But what I'm really happy about is...that you don't have to live with being alcoholic. That's way more important. Right?

  7. #197
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,286

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It's no big deal but you actually did, and I quote: "There are those that need that cult brotherhood in order to find strength because they are weak." And no one uses the term "crutch" in a positive light.

    And sure, it's ultimately up to the individual to make the changes needed to live sober, but your teacher analogy was perfect - we've all hopefully been lucky enough to have had a teacher that changed our lives. Doesn't mean we didn't have to do the work, study, etc. But for some of us, it would be an act of hubris to pretend that we did it on our own - we didn't.

    Maybe we're splitting words here. Not sure. It's all good though. I'm happy for anyone who found a way, doesn't matter which one.
    You are right. I did. I chose my words poorly as all I meant was that they have the strength in them but can't see it. Everybody has personal strength and by weak I meant not recognizing their strength and allowing others to speak for them and/or lead them when they can do it themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  8. #198
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,500

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    You know, guys, when I said what I said in my OP to that AA group last week - that took guts (so I was told).

    I went back the next day (gasp) to the same meeting place - they said that took more guts. For a split second I thought they were going to kill me. Then, they laughed and we all shared hugs. You see, that's what AA is like - very forgiving, understanding and supportive. On the one hand, I was wrong to start this thread and I apologize deeply for that. However, after reading through the thread - there have been some awesome replies here and insight. If nothing else, starting this thread got people thinking (including myself). One AA individual in this thread (whom I won't mention) is now my best friend on this forum. He is the one whom convinced me to go back to that meeting. AND I'm glad I did, for AA is saving my life, one day at a time. So, thanks DP - for if I had never found this forum, I would have never started this thread and would never have met said friend and would never have gone back to AA. It can be argued that DP saved my life (can you believe that, LOL).

    So thanks to all whom have responded - even if I don't always agree with everyone, I always learn something. THAT's what's important.
    That's what it's like when it works, at least in my experience.

    No need to apologize for anything. The OP started a great discussion. Thanks for the thoughtful comments!

  9. #199
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,286

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I can clearly see why you don't get why I disagree. This is a seriously complex issue that you aren't connect to. That's for starters. But really, Bod, it doesn't matter.

    And of course its all good. I've said in my past few posts...it really is all good.

    But what I'm really happy about is...that you don't have to live with being alcoholic. That's way more important. Right?
    For all you know I was an alcoholic that found inner strength to just drink casually at times and not go over board the AA way... all or nothing.

    Balance is what life is about...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    Trump could take a dump on an American flag on national TV and his base would cheer.
    Quote Originally Posted by camlok View Post
    there were no hijackers...

  10. #200
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,216

    Re: Alcoholics Anonymous - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    For all you know I was an alcoholic that found inner strength to just drink casually at times and not go over board the AA way... all or nothing.

    Balance is what life is about...
    Okay...thanks for sharing...

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •