View Poll Results: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public domain?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    20 74.07%
  • no

    4 14.81%
  • other

    3 11.11%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public domain?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    "Commercial free" is a luxury, not a necessity. All the more reason we shouldn't be allocating our tax dollars to such excesses.
    It’s not exactly breaking the bank. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the entity created by Congress in 1967 to disperse funds to nonprofit broadcast outlets like PBS and NPR, is set to receive $445 million over the next two years. Per a statutory formula, public television gets about 75 percent of this appropriation while public radio receives 25 percent.

    This amounts to roughly .012 percent of the $3.8 trillion federal budget – or about $1.35 per person per year. (Some global perspective: elsewhere in the world, Canada spends $22.48 per citizen, Japan $58.86 per citizen, the United Kingdom $80.36 per citizen, and Denmark, $101 per citizen.)

    Big Bird Debate: How Much Does Federal Funding Matter to Public Broadcasting? - ProPublica
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #42
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    32,575

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Commercial free is a means to removing the influence of corporate bias, to allow less biased expression.

    It would not surprise me in the least that you neither listen/read/watch public radio/tv/sites/publications nor are a direct funder.
    All it does is exchange one bias for another.
    Oy vey!

  3. #43
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    All it does is exchange one bias for another.
    If only it was so simple.

    If you are interested in the corporate version, well there you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Commercial free is a means to removing the influence of corporate bias, to allow less biased expression.

    It would not surprise me in the least that you neither listen/read/watch public radio/tv/sites/publications nor are a direct funder.
    Are you implying that the general public is too fragile to listen to commercials?

    Like I said, commercial-free TV is a luxury, not a necessity, and we shouldn't be wasting tax dollars on luxuries.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It’s not exactly breaking the bank. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the entity created by Congress in 1967 to disperse funds to nonprofit broadcast outlets like PBS and NPR, is set to receive $445 million over the next two years. Per a statutory formula, public television gets about 75 percent of this appropriation while public radio receives 25 percent.

    This amounts to roughly .012 percent of the $3.8 trillion federal budget – or about $1.35 per person per year. (Some global perspective: elsewhere in the world, Canada spends $22.48 per citizen, Japan $58.86 per citizen, the United Kingdom $80.36 per citizen, and Denmark, $101 per citizen.)

    Big Bird Debate: How Much Does Federal Funding Matter to Public Broadcasting? - ProPublica
    Given our massive national debt and our gaping budget deficit, I find such spending wasteful and inappropriate regardless of the scale of impact.

    We shouldn't be borrowing money from China so that you have the luxury of not having to watch commercials.

    If you enjoy PBS programming, in my book there are 3 options: have commercials, offer it as a paid subscription, or find big donors that can foot the bill for the whole thing.

    The use of tax dollars is not appropriate.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Are you implying that the general public is too fragile to listen to commercials?
    No, that is you inferring something that doesn't exist....but then I would expect that.

    Like I said, commercial-free TV is a luxury, not a necessity, and we shouldn't be wasting tax dollars on luxuries.
    Yep, you said it....just as you say that businesses should be free to racially discriminate. Just because you say such dumb things doesn't mean they are correct....they are just dumb things you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Given our massive national debt and our gaping budget deficit, I find such spending wasteful and inappropriate regardless of the scale of impact.

    We shouldn't be borrowing money from China so that you have the luxury of not having to watch commercials.
    Phew, thats a relief, and here I thought the t-bills purchased by China were for 99.99999% of other thingys.

    If you enjoy PBS programming, in my book there are 3 options: have commercials, offer it as a paid subscription, or find big donors that can foot the bill for the whole thing.

    The use of tax dollars is not appropriate.
    I see a best seller on the horizon. You ought to get started on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Phew, thats a relief, and here I thought the t-bills purchased by China were for 99.99999% of other thingys.

    I see a best seller on the horizon. You ought to get started on it.
    No substance. So honestly, do you have any good reason why PBS programming should be commercial free? You mentioned that commercials provided "bias," however that's no different from commercials on any other station.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No substance. So honestly, do you have any good reason why PBS programming should be commercial free? You mentioned that commercials provided "bias," however that's no different from commercials on any other station.
    "No, there is nothing wrong with corporate POV's, they are by far the best perspective on any and all topics and should never be questioned."

    OBEY
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    40,677

    Re: Should shows funded by tax payers and aired on tax payer funded tv be public doma

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Are you implying that the general public is too fragile to listen to commercials?

    Like I said, commercial-free TV is a luxury, not a necessity, and we shouldn't be wasting tax dollars on luxuries.
    $445 million over two years works out to less than two cents per year per person. They can have my two cents. I'd pay a hundred times that much to not have to listen to the damned commercials every five minutes.

    That said, commercial free subscriptions to radio/TV not corporate sponsored should be made available. I know I'd subscribe.
    “A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices” George Orwell


Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •