View Poll Results: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, America is the greatest Country.

    36 62.07%
  • I agree with Will.

    22 37.93%
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 396

Thread: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

  1. #151
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    555

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    It's not as great since the liberals screwed it up

  2. #152
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by JFish123 View Post
    It's not as great since the liberals screwed it up
    Those nasty liberals - perhaps they should be deported to Canada or somewhere even further, like Sweden.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,872

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    Those nasty liberals - perhaps they should be deported to Canada or somewhere even further, like Sweden.
    Not even liberals should be deported, if they are citizens and we need laborers for the salt mines.

  4. #154
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,425

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Better:

    Next The Economist explains: Where Islamic State gets its money

    Jan 4, 2015 ... Instead the bulk of its money comes from oil revenues from fields under its .... " Levitt is a national expert on terrorism and its financing, working ...
    The Economist explains | The Economist

    LabeledBlogs
    Financial sanctions: The pros and cons of a SWIFT response | The ...

    Nov 22, 2014 ... Though most of the terrorist group's funding comes from local oil revenues, ransoms and shakedowns of businesses in territories that IS ...
    Page Not Found - Debate Politics Forums financial-messaging-network-potent-measure

    LabeledPrint edition
    The biggest single source of funding for Islamic terrorism is oil wealth. The fact that the majority of that funding does not come from American customers does not matter to me. The fact that any amount comes from profits of fuel sold to Americans does matter to me. As long as he maintain any dependence at all on Mideast oil, at least a small portion of what you pay at the gas pumps is in fact funding Islamic terrorism. North America producing all of it's it's own oil would have a major effect. It would produce a glut that would force OPEC prices downward.

  5. #155
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,425

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Well, if "his country" is Equatorial Guinea I can see your point. On the other hand, if it's the USA you have to count me among the afflicted.



    I might call the Soviet Union a "great contributor" if it hadn't helped start WWII by signing the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact with Germany. I mean, if you start a fire and then sacrifice yourself to help put it out does that make you the greatest fireman?
    Exactly. Stalin had conquest on his mind just as much as Hitler did. Their intention was to share the spoils.

  6. #156
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,425

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    On the first point, describing your country as the "best" in the world is good for a laugh but to do it seriously is evidence of huge vanity. Like I said, colonial Britain did this sort of thing in the past so I know the mindset. But it's a mindset worth shaking off if you want to cultivate good relations with other countries.
    One reason Great Britain came so close getting overrun by the third reich is that their military forces were so spread out administering all of the colonies they still held around the world. Shameful.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    The British perspective has been that, in Western Europe, we stood alone against Germany after the rest of Europe had fallen (or remained neutral) between 1941 and 1943. We could say that we were alone while the USA was trying its best to find reasons to stay out of the war, given the very strong German ethnic influence in the USA. .
    We have to remember that the pre-WW2 USA was not the global superpower it is today. We were not the "world police," and we did not have nearly the military we have today. At that time, the overwhelming disposition of the American People was that we don't want to get involved in foreign wars, or, to a point, in Europe's wars. That sentiment was a carryover from the 18th and 19th centuries, under which time it was official policy, and it's one that makes sense for a country an ocean removed from the motherland.

    Putting it in to further context, up until WW2, it's not as if conflict on the European continent was uncommon. Beginning in 1776, when the US was founded, Europe engaged in over 100 separate internal wars, including the Napoleonic Wars, the French Revolution, the first world war, etc. Owing to this, the overwhelming feeling in America was that we don't want to get dragged in to another one of Europe's internal conflicts, and they'll figure it out themselves.

    (List of conflicts in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)


    What really tipped the scales for us was the unprompted Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, a US naval base in the territory of Hawaii, in 1941. The Japanese awakened a sleeping giant with that move, as an outraged American public demanded justice against the Japanese. We also began to see how on the European front, this war was more dire than previous European wars.

    President Roosevelt declared war on Japan shortly thereafter, and then Germany. One could say that the Pacific Theatre was always the central focus for the United States during WW2, however we did send a substantial amount of troops to aid the allies on the European front as well.

    One could make the argument that fresh American troops, arriving later in the conflict, was not foreseen by Hitler and was enough to tip the scales on that front in favor of the allies.

    While one could argue, correctly, that the British and Russians contributed more troops to the European front during the war, one might expect as much given that your nations were attacked by Hitler, and America was not.

    In fact, an examination of the motives each country had for joining the war is prudent to our understanding of history. Remember that Russia, while contributing greatly to the allied cause, originally sided with Hitler. It was only after they were double-crossed and themselves attacked that they joined the fight for the allies...for survival.

    Britain defended itself honorably during WW2, its people resolute and never wavering, and I don't think this is lost on anyone regardless of which perspective they're viewing the war from. However, if your perspective is to say that you went it alone, that perspective is incorrect. The US supported you with a significant number of volunteer troops and with supplies well before we joined the actual war.

    The Americans never had to join the European front. We could have been content fighting the Japanese in the Pacific. At the end of the day, we arrived at the 11th hour with fresh guns, troops, and spirits to help the British defend their homeland and to storm Normandy and begin the reconquest of continental Europe.

    At the end of the day, during Europe's darkest hour, of all the nations who were never attacked by Hitler, it was America who came to fight side by side with you. It wasn't the Canadians. It wasn't the Brazilians. It wasn't the Chinese. It wasn't the Swedes or the Swiss or the nations of the Middle East. It was the Americans.

    So for all we can say America has done wrong in the world since that time, and there have been plenty of transgressions committed that we could fairly have the finger pointed at us for, my opinion is this is one moment in American history in which Americans have a legitimate right to feel proud of how we acted when our moment was there to act.

    We did not, as we could have done, remain neutral. We did not shy away from what we ultimately saw as a moral obligation; millions of Americans fought and died on European soil alongside our friends and allies, fighting against one of the greatest monsters the world has ever seen. We stood up for what we thought was right, even when we didn't have to, and before we really had the means to.

    It was the moment that gave rise to the birth of a superpower.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,076

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    On the Soviet Union, they lost as many men every day in the Battle of Stalingrad as the USA lost in Pearl Harbour.
    Once again, all I can say is if you invite fleas into your home you shouldn't be surprised if they invade your bed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    The USA was extremely reluctant to enter WW2 (understandably) and even losing a ship in an Arctic convoy was not enough for it to get involved. It was only when Germany declared war on the USA that they got involved. So there are some "what ifs" affecting contributions to the war on all sides.
    Even before the U.S. officially entered the war the Roosevelt Administration and Congress were moving the U.S. out of the "neutral" camp. One example: the Lend-Lease Act, which was proposed in 1940 and passed by Congress and signed into law by Roosevelt in March, 1940. By the end of the war, U.S. aid under the act amounted to something on the order of $50 billion worth of arms, not chump change in the early to mid 1940s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    There's no denying that America's contribution to WW2 was massive and began at a critical time, and we should be forever grateful to you, but to make a point about one country or another making the greatest contribution to it is always going to be very subjective, unhelpful and just annoying.
    Sorry if this is annoying, but it's not subjective to say that before the U.S. entered the war the Allies were getting their collective asses kicked. How long did France last? Six weeks?
    Нава́льный 2018

  9. #159
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,076

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    Are we still on about "who is the greatest country"? If this keeps up, then you'll be hearing from me with some examples of how the US is very much not the greatest country. Could be an interesting project.
    That is the subject of the thread, isn't it? Knock yourself out. You'll be just as wrong as Jeff Daniels.
    Нава́льный 2018

  10. #160
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Is America the greatest Country anymore? Or do you agree with Will?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    One reason Great Britain came so close getting overrun by the third reich is that their military forces were so spread out administering all of the colonies they still held around the world. Shameful.
    I agree that colonisation was and is wrong and that Britain should never have done it. However, I don't claim that my country has ever been the "best" or "greatest" by any objective standard, which I am astonished to see that some Americans really do believe about their country.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •