View Poll Results: Would you support the decision of Texas to peacefully and democratically secede, if voted upon

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 51.49%
  • No

    61 45.52%
  • Bumbershoot

    4 2.99%
Page 94 of 131 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 1310

Thread: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

  1. #931
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I'm unclear what you mean by saying natural rights are "man made"... can you explain that?
    rights are not natural and we just call them natural rights when they are just made up by people

  2. #932
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    wrong...in the constitution there are natural rights and privileges...only

    privileges today are called civil rights/legal rights...these are created by man, and called positive law.

    natural rights are not created by man, but only recognized by man, and are not positive law.

    privileges are created in statute law..no were in statute will you find a natural right for speech, prayer., protest, firearm, privacy.
    when a right is recognized all that means is some one thinks you should have that right its made up

  3. #933
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    that's the only thing I can think of as well.... and it's an especially weak argument.
    how?

    because im really not seeing the reason in saying that people 1 day just stumbled upon rights as they were observing nature

    seems like people just came up with rules that matched how the felt people should be treated

    and that's fine but its not natural

  4. #934
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    rights are not natural and we just call them natural rights when they are just made up by people
    ..
    the anti-intellectualism is strong with this one.

  5. #935
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    ..
    the anti-intellectualism is strong with this one.
    how so?

  6. #936
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    how?

    because im really not seeing the reason in saying that people 1 day just stumbled upon rights as they were observing nature

    seems like people just came up with rules that matched how the felt people should be treated

    and that's fine but its not natural
    so you have over 2000 years of various philosophers saying " hey, I feel we should be treated this way or that way... so that's the way it's gonna be and we're gonna give it a name."


    you've basically taken the entire field of philosophy, with it's sub-fields, and turned it on it's head.

    not cool ,dude... not cool.

  7. #937
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    so you have over 2000 years of various philosophers saying " hey, I feel we should be treated this way or that way... so that's the way it's gonna be and we're gonna give it a name."


    you've basically taken the entire field of philosophy, with it's sub-fields, and turned it on it's head.

    not cool ,dude... not cool.

    that's your argument here.
    did not know philosophy is only 2000 years old or was only about the concept of rights

    but when it was yes that's how it worked

    sure those rules and feelings were backed up and shaped by observations of the world but that's still not natural or if it is contrary things can also be considered natural

  8. #938
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    did not know philosophy is only 2000 years old or was only about the concept of rights

    but when it was yes that's how it worked

    sure those rules and feelings were backed up and shaped by observations of the world but that's still not natural or if it is contrary things can also be considered natural
    wow.....

  9. #939
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    wow.....
    what now?

    because so far im seeing either artificial rights or natural opinion both of which can change fairly easily and nether of which are universal
    Last edited by blarg; 05-16-15 at 04:00 AM.

  10. #940
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    82,245

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    don't talk about things you are unfamiliar with.
    It would be nice if one day you woke up and decided to actually engage in debate instead of looking for cheap opportunities to throw insults.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 94 of 131 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •