View Poll Results: Would you support the decision of Texas to peacefully and democratically secede, if voted upon

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 51.49%
  • No

    61 45.52%
  • Bumbershoot

    4 2.99%
Page 39 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 1310

Thread: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

  1. #381
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    5th gen Texan here and I think the whole succession thing is BS.
    I've been here a mere 5 or 6 years... haven't met a secessionist yet.

    ....read about a few in the papers though.

  2. #382
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,070

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You mean it could cause some sort of, let's see, what's that called? Oh yeah. Civil War. How well did that work out before for those states trying to leave?
    i hope you not thinking the conditions are the same today as it was then?
    Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government

    THE
    second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.


  3. #383
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    And a heavy reliance on federal funded infrastructure
    Which we pay in for proportionate to what we receive, so that could be offset by the fact that we don't have to pay federal tax anymore as an independent state, we would be able to raise the state tax to make up the full difference

  4. #384
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,070

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    I can't see that happening, as much as Texans fantasize about another civil war. The US government would arrest the leaders and then reincorporate Texas, or bring economic pressure to bear until they gave up.

    if the state left, it would be by the people not the state government.

    so the federal government would have to subdue the people......many people of other states would probability rebel against the federal government. creating even a larger conformation.
    Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government

    THE
    second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.


  5. #385
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    To understand why the answer is NO a person only has to look at Eastern Europe, the Middle East and even the European Union.

    The smaller an entity is, the more vulnerable it is to invasion and revolution, subject to the whims of MAJOR powers, and the worse off it's economy becomes.

    Why just Texas? Why not every county in Texas being it's own country? Or every town? Or what about my own house and property being my own country? Why can't I do that? Why not abolish all government and declare each person is their own country and their own nation?

    Yeah, it sounds cool to some to say the Confederates should have had their own country, arguing some zealotry zippyhead head ideological slogans - pretending then reality MUST exist consistent with it because it is so philosophically corrrect.

    It would be the coolness of Germany and Japan winning WWII cool or, if not, the USSR having come to dominate the world.

    Historically, for thousands of years, none federalized regions were militarily defeated and, often, totally erased from history's future. EMPIRES can last a long time. Tiny countries do not.
    Texas is comparable in population and economic output as the entire nation of Canada.

  6. #386
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    01-01-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,245

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I've been here a mere 5 or 6 years... haven't met a secessionist yet.

    ....read about a few in the papers though.
    It is basically folklore we all kid around about

  7. #387
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by plutonium View Post
    so Texans don't want to be Americans anymore.......that says a mouthful right there confederate tea party.....lol no the feds are not going to give up any real estate sorry
    Ok Stalin, whatever you say

  8. #388
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    To understand why the answer is NO a person only has to look at Eastern Europe, the Middle East and even the European Union.

    The smaller an entity is, the more vulnerable it is to invasion and revolution, subject to the whims of MAJOR powers, and the worse off it's economy becomes.

    Why just Texas? Why not every county in Texas being it's own country? Or every town? Or what about my own house and property being my own country? Why can't I do that? Why not abolish all government and declare each person is their own country and their own nation?

    Yeah, it sounds cool to some to say the Confederates should have had their own country, arguing some zealotry zippyhead head ideological slogans - pretending then reality MUST exist consistent with it because it is so philosophically corrrect.

    It would be the coolness of Germany and Japan winning WWII cool or, if not, the USSR having come to dominate the world.

    Historically, for thousands of years, none federalized regions were militarily defeated and, often, totally erased from history's future. EMPIRES can last a long time. Tiny countries do not.
    On the issue of small countries being vulnerable to big ones, I think it's too hard to generalise like this and I don't understand your last sentence at all. Colonial Britain managed to rule India for a time. Japan controlled large parts of China at times. On the other hand, small countries which stay out of international political conflicts are less likely to attract the attention of aggressors e.g. Switzerland, Iceland, various countries in Central and South America.

    On the economic success of small countries, Norway and Switzerland are small in population and they lead the way in Europe. Neither are even in the EU. Russia is a huge country with huge resources and still it has not managed to achieve Western lifestyles for most of its people.

    On self-determination, there are a number of loose criteria in international law including size. There has to be a certain element of self-sufficiency for a group to reasonably claim sovereignty, which would not be the case for a town with no agriculture or independent electricity supply, for example. It is an interesting discussion though. There are still sovereignty disputes in the world and consideration of the criteria for nationhood which we could talk about.

  9. #389
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    10-15-16 @ 03:10 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    there's lots of very small countries that would like to have a word with you...
    How many small countries rely on BIG countries to protect them?

  10. #390
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    10-15-16 @ 03:10 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    On the issue of small countries being vulnerable to big ones, I think it's too hard to generalise like this and I don't understand your last sentence at all. Colonial Britain managed to rule India for a time. Japan controlled large parts of China at times. On the other hand, small countries which stay out of international political conflicts are less likely to attract the attention of aggressors e.g. Switzerland, Iceland, various countries in Central and South America.

    On the economic success of small countries, Norway and Switzerland are small in population and they lead the way in Europe. Neither are even in the EU. Russia is a huge country with huge resources and still it has not managed to achieve Western lifestyles for most of its people.

    On self-determination, there are a number of loose criteria in international law including size. There has to be a certain element of self-sufficiency for a group to reasonably claim sovereignty, which would not be the case for a town with no agriculture or independent electricity supply, for example. It is an interesting discussion though. There are still sovereignty disputes in the world and consideration of the criteria for nationhood which we could talk about.
    Iceland and Switzerland historically had geographic natural protection. Switzerland was unique not only for the mountains, but also all parties had a mutual interest in maintaining a universal safe-haven for money and money brokering. The UK had the natural barrier of water and still does. No land access are still significant barriers to invasion. But for that, Britain would have fallen to Germany.
    Norway was overrun by Germany. I don't know much about S. American countries.

    India was NOT a federalized system when the West arrived, but a mass array of little royalties of nearly 1000 different languages. Despite being totally militarily inferior, Japan never could completely conquer China. Of continental Europe, only massive Russia could withstand the onslaught.

Page 39 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •