View Poll Results: Would you support the decision of Texas to peacefully and democratically secede, if voted upon

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 51.49%
  • No

    61 45.52%
  • Bumbershoot

    4 2.99%
Page 37 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 1310

Thread: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

  1. #361
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    While unlikely anytime too soon, it's not unthinkable that one day, Texas might vote to secede from the United States and re-establish itself as an independent nation.

    If done in a peaceful and democratic manner...that is, if the people of Texas overwhelmingly voted to withdraw from the U.S. In a referendum similar to the one recently held in Scotland, would you support the right of Texas to go her own way?
    I'm strictly neutral as a foreigner and haven't voted. (I didn't understand the third option on the poll anyway - bumber something?!)

    There have been some comparisons with Scotland though Scotland had a long history as an independent nation before union with England in 1707 and has retained its character as a nation since then in many ways, both politically and culturally, despite being fused into the UK. I know that Texas once was an independent nation for a short time however, from my limited perspective across the pond, its people seem to share substantially the same culture and common national identity with the rest of the USA. Is it fair to say that differences are really no more than regional?

    Of course, a big enough and powerful enough region can secede if it wants, irrespective of the usual list of criteria for nationhood. But would Texans be content enough if the rest of the USA did more to acknowledge their special identity, and cause desires for independence to subside?

  2. #362
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,476

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Actually that doesn't even make sense. (in typical secessionist fashion)



    Texas's economy would simply crash. The US govt. would not recognize any Texas currency (it wouldn't matter as it'd be worthless) which means Texas would have no economy. Though the US wouldn't even have to do that. Texas would simply break up into regional factions. It would basically have no Southern border. The blacks and Mexicans would burn down completely the city of Houston (economic hub of Texas) once their Federal benefits stopped coming in.


    Your premise makes no sense. No US ally would recognize a "Texas currency".

    Not only that. I don't think you realize that historically speaking the Confederacy was an economically Communist Esq bloc in how it functioned. It forced its members to give it resources. Many a university professor with a Communist slant romanticizes that the Southern Confederacy was true, "Pure" Communism (and it sorta was).
    Texas produces $264bn worth of exports. They would be the 14th largest economy in the world. Its just as likely as a crash, that were they a free state, there would be a surge of business into Texas to take advantage of the economic freedom, much like Ireland. They would still be exporting Oil, which alone accounts for $125 billion.

  3. #363
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 11:55 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    If that were to happen, I would expect to see even more giant Texas flags flying in Texas. I'm not even sure if it is possible, but I'd invest some stock in flag pole manufacturers.

  4. #364
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Me focused on race?
    yes.. you... and you have so far been incapable of explaining why



    You want to turn a state of another country into a "Blue Blood Banker/Oil Money Oligarchy" and you're claiming I'm the racist? Pretty heavy into the cool aid eh?
    what on earth are you babbling about?... I've said nothing about what i want.. you're simply projecting.
    I didn't say you are a racist... I said you are focusing on race....

    I don't do Kool-aid...I've seen what lefties do with it... it's not good.



    You don't even know how impracticable the entire notion of secession is economically for Texas.
    be wary of telling me what I know.... you'll often find yourself on the wrong side of the truth.

    if you are incapable of discussing hypothetical, just bow out and be done..

    -All the Texas oil industry investments are done through US banks, often northern owned.
    so what?... if a peaceful secession is realized, Texas would simply charter banks .. like every other nation on earth.
    US banks would transact with those banks, like they do every other bank on earth...
    -A huge % of Texans are employed by the Federal govt directly and indirectly via military and other means.
    I'm not sure what the percentage is.. but you are no doubt overstating it as "huge"...
    but yes, there are federal employees and military members.... they would all have a choice of whether or not to remain US citizens.
    that choice would be made through whatever Democratic mechanism was chosen to address the issue of secession... if they want their federal govt jobs, they'd most likely vote 'no' on secession.

    however,the scenario in the OP has a secession vote being won by the secessionists... so it's a moot point.


    You'd have no support to secede. That qualifies as a traitor. Traitors are executed good sir in accordance with US law. I'm not advocating any person be executed. US law is.
    treason has a very specific meaning.. a meaning you obviously do not understand.
    if a civil war occurred, the argument can be made for treason... but as we are talking about a peaceful secession, a treason charge is inapplicable....
    so either you are willfully ignoring the OP, willfully ignoring the law, or you are simply letting your bloodlust override your rationality.... or a combination of all 3.

  5. #365
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    If that were to happen, I would expect to see even more giant Texas flags flying in Texas. I'm not even sure if it is possible, but I'd invest some stock in flag pole manufacturers.
    you'd be a very rich man

  6. #366
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-scot View Post
    I'm strictly neutral as a foreigner and haven't voted. (I didn't understand the third option on the poll anyway - bumber something?!)

    There have been some comparisons with Scotland though Scotland had a long history as an independent nation before union with England in 1707 and has retained its character as a nation since then in many ways, both politically and culturally, despite being fused into the UK. I know that Texas once was an independent nation for a short time however, from my limited perspective across the pond, its people seem to share substantially the same culture and common national identity with the rest of the USA. Is it fair to say that differences are really no more than regional?

    Of course, a big enough and powerful enough region can secede if it wants, irrespective of the usual list of criteria for nationhood. But would Texans be content enough if the rest of the USA did more to acknowledge their special identity, and cause desires for independence to subside?
    excellent points...
    the reason behind a secession aren't really being explored in this scenario, but yes..Texas does have commonality with a good portion of the rest of the states( whether US liberals/progressives would admit it or not).. so I doubt such a secession would be based in culture or identity... such an occurrence, in my mind, would have to be hastened by either economic or political factors that have "got out of hand".

    from my perspective as a transplant ( I'm not a native Texan) it strikes me that Texans don't really want special recognition for their identity as much as they would prefer a lot less federal meddling in their state affairs... coupled with a lot more federal meddling in federal affairs ( the border issue come immediately to mind).

    personally,I think Texans overstate their "independent" streak...which is fine, to a point... but they don't seem to realize that's also a commonality.
    hell, there are states in New England that have fierce independent streaks... and western states as well ( my home state of Nevada , due to longstanding and overbearing federal meddling, has a very strong independent streak that makes even Texas look weak in comparison)... the difference being that Texas would easily survive a secession and still be a powerhouse economy.. Nevada, and many other states, would perish immediately (due to a distinct lack of resources)

  7. #367
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    First, you didn't bold anything.

    However, I'll address this anyway. The OP scenario only says that Texas voted peacefully and democratically to secede. In other words, this wasn't a small group of people that went in and took over Texas violently, and then forced the secession vote. Or there was fighting among the people of Texas to either break away or not. There is no way your "the US lets them go peacefully without threat of war or troops sent in" scenario is likely to occur without some serious changes to our national government as well as the viewpoints of many people, as well as some serious changes to the US's military and other interests, which are currently in Texas.
    so you aren't capable of discussion a hypothetical peaceful secession.. .got it.

    moving on...

  8. #368
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brum
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    776

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    excellent points...
    the reason behind a secession aren't really being explored in this scenario, but yes..Texas does have commonality with a good portion of the rest of the states( whether US liberals/progressives would admit it or not).. so I doubt such a secession would be based in culture or identity... such an occurrence, in my mind, would have to be hastened by either economic or political factors that have "got out of hand".

    from my perspective as a transplant ( I'm not a native Texan) it strikes me that Texans don't really want special recognition for their identity as much as they would prefer a lot less federal meddling in their state affairs... coupled with a lot more federal meddling in federal affairs ( the border issue come immediately to mind).

    personally,I think Texans overstate their "independent" streak...which is fine, to a point... but they don't seem to realize that's also a commonality.
    hell, there are states in New England that have fierce independent streaks... and western states as well ( my home state of Nevada , due to longstanding and overbearing federal meddling, has a very strong independent streak that makes even Texas look weak in comparison)... the difference being that Texas would easily survive a secession and still be a powerhouse economy.. Nevada, and many other states, would perish immediately (due to a distinct lack of resources)
    Ok. Thanks for reply. I guess the tension between federal rights and state rights is an enduring one, and from what I know, it would not be possible for one state to claim or be ceded more autonomy than other states.

    I suppose I compare the situation with the EU where age-old sovereign nation states are being pushed down the road of rapid convergence, despite huge differences in culture, language, economic maturity and political systems. That said, who dares wins - if Texans want independence, then good luck to them.

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    The supporters of secessions notions that "The US would allow one of its largest economies to leave" says it all about this entire ideas intellectual capacity.

    This hypothetical is second grade level naivety at best to how things would play out.

  10. #370
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    06-20-17 @ 01:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    To understand why the answer is NO a person only has to look at Eastern Europe, the Middle East and even the European Union.

    The smaller an entity is, the more vulnerable it is to invasion and revolution, subject to the whims of MAJOR powers, and the worse off it's economy becomes.

    Why just Texas? Why not every county in Texas being it's own country? Or every town? Or what about my own house and property being my own country? Why can't I do that? Why not abolish all government and declare each person is their own country and their own nation?

    Yeah, it sounds cool to some to say the Confederates should have had their own country, arguing some zealotry zippyhead head ideological slogans - pretending then reality MUST exist consistent with it because it is so philosophically corrrect.

    It would be the coolness of Germany and Japan winning WWII cool or, if not, the USSR having come to dominate the world.

    Historically, for thousands of years, none federalized regions were militarily defeated and, often, totally erased from history's future. EMPIRES can last a long time. Tiny countries do not.

Page 37 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •