View Poll Results: Would you support the decision of Texas to peacefully and democratically secede, if voted upon

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 51.49%
  • No

    61 45.52%
  • Bumbershoot

    4 2.99%
Page 23 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1310

Thread: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    As a native Texan for decades...I can assure you that there will never a consensus of Texas citizens that would constitute "the will of the people".

    The consequences of leaving the Union would be profound and in the end, be dire. When one makes a serious inventory of what resources would be required to become an independent state/nation - even with all of the natural resources in Texas - they simply aren't enough to deal with all of the social issues, which Texas relies on Federal assistance.

    The United States would have Texas on its knees - by imposing sanctions of all types that would, within a relevantly short time, virtually paralyze the Texas government. No state, including Texas is a rich enough in resources or treasure to defy the United States, which "some consider the world's most powerful country". Now that claim is debatable, but still a very significant power.

    Call the US a totalitarian government, but the states are interdependent upon each other.
    Unless you have a working crystal ball, then you have no way of knowing what the future holds.

  2. #222
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,223

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    why do you believe sanctions/restrictions will be inherently levied against Texas?

    if Texas becomes a nation, it is assumed it was an amicable split.... if it wasn't amicable, the US would invade and capture Texas and the secession wouldn't be successful in the first place.
    If Texas secedes, it would be done against the will of the Federal government, which would most likely make Texas a "security issue" for the US...among other concerns.

  3. #223
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    tell me..why you think Texas would just collapse.

    do you really think the people of Texas are that weak, and cannot stand on their 2 feet?
    you can't be a lefty and simultaneously believe people are strong enough to do anything on their own...

  4. #224
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,223

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Unless you have a working crystal ball, then you have no way of knowing what the future holds.
    Don't need a crystal ball. The Federal government has made its position known in Texas vs White. If Texas secedes - it will do so against the will of the United States of Amerca's standing government.

    There would be consequences imposed. It doesn't take a genie or crystal ball to figure that out.

  5. #225
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Texas cannot support its own military, healthcare system, education system, highway systems, agriculture needs, etc, etc, etc...for any length of time without the types of assistance it gets from the Federal government.
    you seem to be forgetting, the state of Texas would no longer send money to the federal government.

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    If Texas secedes, it would be done against the will of the Federal government, which would most likely make Texas a "security issue" for the US...among other concerns.
    then we are getting ahead of ourselves.... if it is against the will of DC, they will be brought back under the wing of DC long before sanctions can be levied or nationhood recognized.

    sanctions won't be levied... troops will be sent in to slaughter Texans and raze the lands( with history as our guide of how the federal government treats their wayward states)

  7. #227
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    you can't be a lefty and simultaneously believe people are strong enough to do anything on their own...
    texas would have to make many adjustments, but it would make it on its own....i would image that is being on its own, many u.s. citizens would move to Texas AND GIVE UP THEIR U.S. CITIZENSHIP.

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Texas cannot support its own military, healthcare system, education system, highway systems, agriculture needs, etc, etc, etc...for any length of time without the types of assistance it gets from the Federal government.
    they can if they they have the ability to issue sovereign currency and tax their citizens... no doubt about it.

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    texas would have to make many adjustments, but it would make it on its own....i would image that is being on its own, many u.s. citizens would move to Texas AND GIVE UP THEIR U.S. CITIZENSHIP.
    aye...and many Texans would bail out and remain US citizens as well....and yeah, there would necessarily be a lot of treaty signing involved, along with internal adjustments.

    in any event, this is but an academic exercise.... this all fits in very low on the probability scale... near the bottom, in fact

  10. #230
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    aye...and many Texans would bail out and remain US citizens as well....and yeah, there would necessarily be a lot of treaty signing involved, along with internal adjustments.

    in any event, this is but an academic exercise.... this all fits in very low on the probability scale... near the bottom, in fact

    exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •