View Poll Results: Would you support the decision of Texas to peacefully and democratically secede, if voted upon

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 51.49%
  • No

    61 45.52%
  • Bumbershoot

    4 2.99%
Page 123 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1310

Thread: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

  1. #1221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Well thats a mighty big what if, but yea I would still vote no.
    Well, thanks for answering.

    So basically, you don't much care about the will of the people.

    Noted.

    Well, I do.


    Btw, how would you plan to keep them in America if they just left? By force? By war? You are prepared to kill them rather then let them do what it is they overwhelmingly voted to do?
    Last edited by DA60; 06-11-15 at 02:04 PM.

  2. #1222
    Professor
    Glowpun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,677

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    While unlikely anytime too soon, it's not unthinkable that one day, Texas might vote to secede from the United States and re-establish itself as an independent nation.

    If done in a peaceful and democratic manner...that is, if the people of Texas overwhelmingly voted to withdraw from the U.S. In a referendum similar to the one recently held in Scotland, would you support the right of Texas to go her own way?
    Such an event will signal the dissolution of the US.

  3. #1223
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,819

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Well, thanks for answering.

    So basically, you don't much care about the will of the people.

    Noted.

    Well, I do.


    Btw, how would you plan to keep them in America if they just left? By force? By war? You are prepared to kill them rather then let them do what it is they overwhelmingly voted to do?
    I do care about the will of the people. But I dont believe in a direct democracy. The framers of the Constitution were very against letting the majority dictate to the minority and vice versa. That is why they designed a Republican form of government.

    I am prepared to bear arms against those that try to destroy the Constitution.

  4. #1224
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,819

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i don't image i have posted the convention notes many times......you yourself have seen it.
    What is the point of the Constitution if no one can defend it?

  5. #1225
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    What is the point of the Constitution if no one can defend it?
    a state seceding, is not threating the constitution.

    what is the constitution?.....it is a document, which creates the structure of the federal government, delegates them few powers, and also places restrictions on that federal government.

    all other powers which exist [not delegated] remain the powers of the states as they did before the constitution.


    the states created the constitution

    the constitution created the federal government.

    the states are the guardian of the constitution because they created it.....not the federal government

  6. #1226
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,819

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    a state seceding, is not threating the constitution.

    what is the constitution?.....it is a document, which creates the structure of the federal government, delegates them few powers, and also places restrictions on that federal government.

    all other powers which exist [not delegated] remain the powers of the states as they did before the constitution.


    the states created the constitution

    the constitution created the federal government.

    the states are the guardian of the constitution because they created it.....not the federal government
    Yea I have heard you say that before. But the Constitution isnt only the law of the land, it is the Union. For a State secede it has to defy that the US Constitution is the law of the land and in that State the State Government is decreeing that it will not follow the law of the land. Thus destroying the Constitution by a decree of the majority in that State. Thus also going against the Republican form of Government that the Constitution is all about. State secession is about getting rid of the Constitution. And no amount of you denying that fact will make me forget that reality.

  7. #1227
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-11-17 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Your view is dependent on the false notion that the federal government we have follows the Constitution.

  8. #1228
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Yea I have heard you say that before. But the Constitution isnt only the law of the land, it is the Union. For a State secede it has to defy that the US Constitution is the law of the land and in that State the State Government is decreeing that it will not follow the law of the land. Thus destroying the Constitution by a decree of the majority in that State. Thus also going against the Republican form of Government that the Constitution is all about. State secession is about getting rid of the Constitution. And no amount of you denying that fact will make me forget that reality.
    the constitution is not the union......it is the states which form the compact.

    by a state leaving its not defying constitution, because people of the state are excising their right to form any government they choose, they are casting off a government with they believe does not work for them, and seek to form a better government.

    if a state constitution has in it that the people have the right to alter of abolish their own government, then all of the people of that state have to adhere to the law of that state as everyone does, those that don't like the law, are free have liberty to seek what they desire elsewhere.

    every state in the union is supposed to be republican, however this is not true.......in the late 1800's states moved away from republican forms towards democratic forms, when this issue was brought before the USSC the court would not hear the case, because they deemed it to be a political question......this is why america has a great deal of democracy in it today, something the founders did not want to happen.

    to say the people cannot leave the union is to say people are prisoners of there own government, and have no right of self government.

    state secession could be two ways...1 a state wants to change it government which may be incompatible with the constitution, or 2 the state wants to secede because it wants to get out from under the control of the federal government.

    what amazes me is you and others are ready to KILL, imprison, and usurp a state government, if it chooses to change its form or secede..........to apply force to people even willing to kill them if they simply wish not be part of something you wish them to be.

    how did we get to this place where we are willing to kill our brother because he will not stand with us?

  9. #1229
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,819

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Your view is dependent on the false notion that the federal government we have follows the Constitution.
    Though you didnt quote me, I'll assume that was for me.

    If you feel that the US Government is a dictatorship then use your right to bear arms. Until you grow the balls to back your accusation, you are just ranting pointlessly.

    Yes I acknowledge that there are plenty of things wrong, but the beauty is that (so far) the great document that our forefathers wrote is still working. And as the framers pointed out it takes constant work to keep it working. We all know that there is corruption, and we all are very concerned about the various forms of it. No one is pretending that everything is perfect. Hell this country has never been perfect. People used to keep other people like personal property despite the Constitution. But that didnt stop us from fixing that problem. Of course there were some assholes in the South that didnt want to fix that problem and they lost.

    What you are pointing out is that you believe that the US Government is invalid because of its actions. So then you are not talking about a State seceding form the Constitution. You are implying revolution which is entirely different.

  10. #1230
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    "A republican form of government is the highest form of government"

    Everyone for themselves, survival of the fittest, I am better than you, fear, bigotry, ignorance, greed, cheaters, denialism, superstitions, in humane, and eat their lizard young.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •