View Poll Results: Would you support the decision of Texas to peacefully and democratically secede, if voted upon

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 51.49%
  • No

    61 45.52%
  • Bumbershoot

    4 2.99%
Page 120 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1310

Thread: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

  1. #1191
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The citizens of a State that seceded and were a new country would be under the jurisdiction of said new country. The US Constitution has no jurisdiction in other countries.
    The new country could decide to do anything they wanted and the US government could do nothing about it. Including striping the rights of dual citizenship residents. The US Government would have to act in behalf of her citizens that lost their rights and do its duty to protect the rights of those US citizens that were victims of a rogue State government.

    What is interesting about the proponents of State secession is the complete lack of understanding that the people of any State in this here Union move around a lot. There doesnt really exist a permanent citizenry of any State. The properties in each State is intertwined by owners from different States. People have family in several States. My family line envelopes several States. Secessionists are too naive to realize that every State is inhabited by people from other States. I was born in Washington State, raised in Oregon and now live in New Mexico. But along the way I lived in several other States.
    if a state were to leave the union it would operate under its constitution, which has the same rights which are recognized by the federal constitution.

  2. #1192
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,825

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the federal government has said via law, that altering or abolishing a state government is not repugnant to the federal constitution, because it is a right of the people.
    What law would that be?

    therefore it is is a right of the people and the federal government by law has say so, then how can a state be part of the union.....?
    Have you ever heard of this document called the US Constitution? The US Constitution is the Union.

  3. #1193
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,825

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    if a state were to leave the union it would operate under its constitution, which has the same rights which are recognized by the federal constitution.
    There is no guarantee that would be the case. there would be no legality at that point o compel the State to have anything near the US Constitution. Nor would there be any checks or balances that stopped the State government from becoming a outright dictatorship. And if we look at those that are promoting the notion of State secession we can bet that a dictatorship is what they have in mind.

  4. #1194
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    What law would that be?

    Have you ever heard of this document called the US Constitution? The US Constitution is the Union.
    u.s enabling law.

    how can the federal government say a the people of a state in seccedding was violating constitutional law, when it said before via an enabling law, that what people do concerning their state.. is not repugnant to the constitution

  5. #1195
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    There is no guarantee that would be the case. there would be no legality at that point o compel the State to have anything near the US Constitution. Nor would there be any checks or balances that stopped the State government from becoming a outright dictatorship. And if we look at those that are promoting the notion of State secession we can bet that a dictatorship is what they have in mind.
    since a state constitution is already in place its not like a state would get rid of it, only alter it...in connection with the federal government.

  6. #1196
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    10-20-17 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,500

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    I love Texas. Born and raised there. "Texas born and Texas bred. When I die I will be Texas dead."

    But let's be honest here. Texas is known for, (and apparently proud of,) their reputation for talking ****.

    Bigger skies, prettier women, bigger hats, bigger cattle. You know, bigger, better....everything.

    Face it. To hear most Texan's talk, their **** smells like magnolia blossoms.

    And they are proud bunch you dare not dispute as they are NEVER wrong about anything. A kind word about Obama can get your bones broke. "Long live free speech pardner!" Unless, of course, they don't agree with what you say.

    All this "secede" bull **** talk has been going on since I can remember. Don't mean doodly-squat. Much like most everthing else Texan's believe. It has nothing to do with world reality, just Texas "reality."

    Kinda like when Pecos Bill threw his lasso around that Texas Twister (tornado.) Yeee-hawww!!!!!

    Generally speaking, Texan's may be somewhat delusional according with world standards of what constitutes reality, but it falls right in line with their "Lone Star State" attitude. I think it's cutesy and harmless.

    Don't mess with Texas.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #1197
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,825

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    u.s enabling law.
    if you are going to site a reference you need to actually be specific.

    how can the federal government say a the people of a state in seccedding was violating constitutional law, when it said before via an enabling law, that what people do concerning their state.. is not repugnant to the constitution
    You are making a assumption there.

  8. #1198
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    if you are going to site a reference you need to actually be specific.

    You are making a assumption there.
    i cited u.s.enabling law thats what it is called "enabling law" for the u.s.

    the term was used in relation to the formation of a new U.S. state; i.e., legislation passed by Congress authorizing the people of a territory to frame a constitution; this act also lays down the requirements that must be met as a prerequisite to statehood. These acts were usually titled "An Enabling Act for a State

    the requirements of an enabling law are: the newly formed constitution shall not be repugnant to the federal contitituion or the principles of the declaration of independence

    so if my constitution states i can alter or abolish my government, and the federal government has granted the state to enter the union, then altering or abolishing my state government does not violate constitutional law or any federal law because the federal government said so when they allowed the state into the union.

  9. #1199
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,825

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i cited u.s.enabling law thats what it is called "enabling law" for the u.s.

    the term was used in relation to the formation of a new U.S. state; i.e., legislation passed by Congress authorizing the people of a territory to frame a constitution; this act also lays down the requirements that must be met as a prerequisite to statehood. These acts were usually titled "An Enabling Act for a State

    the requirements of an enabling law are: the newly formed constitution shall not be repugnant to the federal contitituion or the principles of the declaration of independence

    so if my constitution states i can alter or abolish my government, and the federal government has granted the state to enter the union, then altering or abolishing my state government does not violate constitutional law or any federal law because the federal government said so when they allowed the state into the union.
    What State Constitutions declare that they can abolish their State government?

  10. #1200
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    What State Constitutions declare that they can abolish their State government?
    Texas for one...among others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •