View Poll Results: Would you support the decision of Texas to peacefully and democratically secede, if voted upon

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 51.49%
  • No

    61 45.52%
  • Bumbershoot

    4 2.99%
Page 107 of 131 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1310

Thread: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

  1. #1061
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    76,314

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    today it would have to be a total disregard for constitutional law, the federal government taking over parts of states, taking away rights of the people, killing americans, the federal government making demands of states to do or not do things, which would be a rightful power of state to decide and not the federal government.
    Outside of the more rabid FOX TV viewers and right libertarians and people who want to turn back the clock a full century - there just is not any widespread sympathy for that sort of discontented feeling.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #1062
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    37,940

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    today it would have to be a total disregard for constitutional law, the federal government taking over parts of states, taking away rights of the people, killing americans, the federal government making demands of states to do or not do things, which would be a rightful power of state to decide and not the federal government.
    You mean things like giving the president the power to declare war, spying on citizens, indefinite detention without trial, asset forfeiture without due process, not allowing the states to enforce immigration laws, taking over the education system, things like that?

    Oh, that'll never happen, right?
    Making Russia great again!



  3. #1063
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    01-12-17 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,069

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Outside of the more rabid FOX TV viewers and right libertarians and people who want to turn back the clock a full century - there just is not any widespread sympathy for that sort of discontented feeling.
    please read correctly

    "today it would have to be "
    Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government

    THE
    second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.


  4. #1064
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    76,314

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    My guess is the Second Amendment.
    How so? There is no effort today to repeal or deny Second Amendment rights so why would that suddenly become a huge issue which could spark secession?

    I mean - lets face it and be really frank and open about this - the pendulum has tilted so far in favor of the NRA position on guns that it would take a Sandy Hook type event every couple of weeks before public opinion forced Congress or state legislatures to do something which more extreme gun people became angry at. And I do not anticipate either on the radar.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #1065
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    76,314

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    please read correctly

    "today it would have to be "
    OOOOHHHH!!!!! That phrase changes EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1066
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    01-12-17 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,069

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    You mean things like giving the president the power to declare war, spying on citizens, indefinite detention without trial, asset forfeiture without due process, not allowing the states to enforce immigration laws, taking over the education system, things like that?

    Oh, that'll never happen, right?
    no i don't think that is enough of a driving issue to cause secession.
    Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government

    THE
    second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.


  7. #1067
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    01-12-17 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,069

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    OOOOHHHH!!!!! That phrase changes EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
    Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government

    THE
    second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.


  8. #1068
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    37,940

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no i don't think that is enough of a driving issue to cause secession.
    at least not until it gets more extreme than it is today. It isn't even enough to get the voters to sit up and pay attention, at least not yet.
    Making Russia great again!



  9. #1069
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    29,705

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    How so? There is no effort today to repeal or deny Second Amendment rights so why would that suddenly become a huge issue which could spark secession?
    I was answering Dittohead not!'s question: "Now, what issue today is divisive enough to spark an attempt at secession?"

    My answer was, "My guess is the Second Amendment."

    Don't read into this anything other than an answer to a rhetorical question.

  10. #1070
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    37,940

    Re: Would you support the right of Texas to secede?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I was answering Dittohead not!'s question: "Now, what issue today is divisive enough to spark an attempt at secession?"

    My answer was, "My guess is the Second Amendment."

    Don't read into this anything other than an answer to a rhetorical question.
    The second amendment isn't divisive enough until and unless the federal government were to issue a decree confiscating all guns. Such a thing is so unlikely it need not be considered.

    Abortion is a highly divisive issue, but I'm not sure it rises to the level of motivating states to secede.

    Marriage equality is quickly fading as a divisive issue.

    Americans are divided along party lines moreso than in the past, but still, it just doesn't seem at all likely that any red state will secede due to a Democratic majority in Washington, or vice versa. No, I think the union is safe for the foreseeable future, and the question of whether a state could secede is merely rhetorical.
    Making Russia great again!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •