View Poll Results: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 18.75%
  • No

    24 75.00%
  • other (with explanatory reply)

    2 6.25%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 233

Thread: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

  1. #211
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    tsIt's a statement of the facts.

    If you have any evidence to the contrary, let's see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    1..The Confederacy was put out of business by the Union 150 years ago.

    2...The South will not rise again.

    Wait and see.
    1 ..equals ...fact
    2....not fact.......we do not know what the future will bring.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,150

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Really? When? You see, I remember things like state secession, new CS flag, new currency, swearing of new military oaths, etc. Aka people who didn't want to be "Americans {as the word had meant prior} any more.
    If I'm remembering incorrectly, why was there such resistance to the IronClad Oath ("Damnesty") ?

    The state secessions were never recognized and the Civil War was officially recognized as a "rebellion".


    The rebel yell....
    Home - 26th North Carolina

  3. #213
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The state secessions were never recognized and the Civil War was officially recognized as a "rebellion".


    The rebel yell....
    Home - 26th North Carolina
    during the war, the north stated the south had not seceded, however once the war was over the north stated they did secede and used that.... to keep former southern politicians out of office and allow northern Citizens to fill those offices.

    when you say not recognized, by who?....the people they separated from.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,150

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    during the war, the north stated the south had not seceded, however once the war was over the north stated they did secede and used that.... to keep former southern politicians out of office and allow northern Citizens to fill those offices.

    when you say not recognized, by who?....the people they separated from.




    Lincoln was very careful not to recognize the sovereignty of any state trying to secede from the union and always referred to the war as a rebellion. He went to war to keep the union together and won, remember? When the war was over the southern states and it's citizens were still a part of the union because they really never left.

  5. #215
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Lincoln was very careful not to recognize the sovereignty of any state trying to secede from the union and always referred to the war as a rebellion. He went to war to keep the union together and won, remember? When the war was over the southern states and it's citizens were still a part of the union because they really never left.
    correct ....he wanted to keep the union together.

    however the u.s.federal government barred people who had served in southern state governments from serving again.

    southern governments were controlled by northerners after the war.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,150

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    correct ....he wanted to keep the union together.

    however the u.s.federal government barred people who had served in southern state governments from serving again.

    southern governments were controlled by northerners after the war.
    Unfortunately, Lincoln was assassinated before his plans for reconciliatory reconstruction could be implemented and was largely replaced with Johnson's more retaliatory plans to treat the south as conquered territory and traitors.

    Lincoln had offered a pardon for rebels if they took allegiance to the US Constitution but excluded southern leaders who had left their post to fight against the US...

    Even before the war had ended, Lincoln issued the Proclamation of Amnesty and Reconstruction in 1863, his compassionate policy for dealing with the South. The Proclamation stated that all Southerners could be pardoned and reinstated as U.S. citizens if they took an oath of allegiance to the Constitution and the Union and pledged to abide by emancipation. High Confederate officials, Army and Navy officers, and U.S. judges and congressmen who left their posts to aid the southern rebellion were excluded from this pardon. Lincoln’s Proclamation was called the “10 percent plan”: Once 10 percent of the voting population in any state had taken the oath, a state government could be put in place and the state could be reintegrated into the Union.....

    https://www.apstudynotes.org/us-hist...ruction-plans/

    After the war, carpetbaggers and scallywags descended on the south like vultures and that is how it gained a reputation for corrupt local governments.
    Last edited by Moot; 05-03-15 at 04:18 PM.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    In defense of slavery.
    Another history fail.

  8. #218
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,263

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The state secessions were never recognized and the Civil War was officially recognized as a "rebellion".


    The rebel yell....
    Home - 26th North Carolina
    That's why we called 'em Rebels, when we were kids.

  9. #219
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,740

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    James, I can't quite see why you're raging. I understand that you are totally Cal.
    What is a Cal?
    That's why you keep alluding to a different war.
    I am using an example of people who fought on the enemy's side against the US who did not get a memorial day.

    You don't have any connection to the civil war. OK, which side was CA on? That's what I thought.
    No one alive today has any connection to the civil war.If there are some people who do then they better call Guinness for the oldest person in the world title.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #220
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,509
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    What is a Cal?


    I am using an example of people who fought on the enemy's side against the US who did not get a memorial day.



    No one alive today has any connection to the civil war.
    If there are some people who do then they better call Guinness for the oldest person in the world title.


    Correct.

    But there are some people who would like to get a rematch. I don't believe that's going to happen.



    The South will not rise again.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •