View Poll Results: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 18.75%
  • No

    24 75.00%
  • other (with explanatory reply)

    2 6.25%
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 233

Thread: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

  1. #151
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,697

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    only part..you have to have it all...........i shall supply the part you left out.

    The other clauses giving powers necessary to preserve harmony among the States to negative all State laws contravening in the opinion of the Nat. Leg. the articles of union, down to the last clause, (the words "or any treaties subsisting under the authority of the Union," being added after the words "contravening &c. the articles of the Union," on motion of Dr. FRANKLIN) were agreed to witht. debate or dissent. The last clause of Resolution 6. [FN11] authorizing an exertion of the force of the whole agst. a delinquent State came next into consideration.

    the power is denied...


    since you missed something else i shalll provide it also.


    William Rawle, A View of the Constitution of the United States 295--304, 305--7 1829 (2d ed.)

    The Union is an association of the people of republics; its preservation is calculated to depend on the preservation of those republics. The people of each pledge themselves to preserve that form of government in all. Thus each becomes responsible to the rest, that no other form of government shall prevail in it, and all are bound to preserve it in every one.

    But the mere compact, without the power to enforce it, would be of little value. Now this power can be no where so properly lodged, as in the Union itself. Hence, the term guarantee, indicates that the United States are authorized to oppose, and if possible, prevent every state in the Union from relinquishing the republican form of government, and as auxiliary means, they are expressly authorized and required to employ their force on the application of the constituted authorities of each state, "to repress domestic violence." If a faction should attempt to subvert the government of a state for the purpose of destroying its republican form, the paternal power of the Union could thus be called forth to subdue it.

    Yet it is not to be understood, that its interposition would be justifiable, if the people of a state should determine to retire from the Union, whether they adopted another or retained the same form of government, or if they should, with the express intention of seceding, expunge the representative system from their code, and thereby incapacitate themselves from concurring according to the mode now prescribed, in the choice of certain public officers of the United States.

    The principle of representation, although certainly the wisest and best, is not essential to the being of a republic, but to continue a member of the Union, it must be preserved, and therefore the guarantee must be so construed. It depends on the state itself to retain or abolish the principle of representation, because it depends on itself whether it will continue a member of the Union. To deny this right would be inconsistent with the principle on which all our political systems are founded, which is, that the people have in all cases, a right to determine how they will be governed.

    This right must be considered as an ingredient in the original composition of the general government, which, though not expressed, was mutually understood, and the doctrine heretofore presented to the reader in regard to the indefeasible nature of personal allegiance, is so far qualified in respect to allegiance to the United States. It was observed, that it was competent for a state to make a compact with its citizens, that the reciprocal obligations of protection and allegiance might cease on certain events; and it was further observed, that allegiance would necessarily cease on the dissolution of the society to which it was due.

    The states, then, may wholly withdraw from the Union, but while they continue, they must retain the character of representative republics. Governments of dissimilar forms and principles cannot long maintain a binding coalition. "Greece," says Montesquieu, "was undone as soon as the king of Macedon obtained a seat in the amphyctionic council." It is probable, however, that the disproportionate force as well as the monarchical form of the new confederate had its share of influence in the event. But whether the historical fact supports the theory or not, the principle in respect to ourselves is unquestionable.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJames3000 View Post
    You need to revisit the chain of association... you only insisted you were a Trump-supporter after you figured out that made you a pederast as well. If I were you. I'd be more discreet about it... but I guess it's your dime.

  2. #152
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,684
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Your argument fails on the grounds that Texas would win that war and send you running back home with your tails between your legs.

    Don't mess with Texas


    The South got its butt kicked in the 1st Civil War and it would get its butt kicked again in any 2nd civil war.

    But there's not going to be a 2nd civil war because the South remembers how the first one turned out.

  3. #153
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,371

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    The South got its butt kicked in the 1st Civil War and it would get its butt kicked again in any 2nd civil war.
    not so


    I am the President see me smile

  4. #154
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,346

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    How did Navy Pride and I get on the same side of a vote?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #155
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,371

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    How did Navy Pride and I get on the same side of a vote?
    strange things do happen


    I am the President see me smile

  6. #156
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,684
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    not so


    You don't know that for a fact because it hasn't happened yet.

  7. #157
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,684
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you said it was unconstitutional..however the constitution does not prohibited the states from seceding..

    the 10th amendment is very clear, if its not power of the federal government or prohibited to the states by the constitution then it is power of the states respectively and to the people.

    Amendment X

    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

    and the people of those southern states exercised their right to secede.


    And they got their backsides handed to them and the union survived.

  8. #158
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,371

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    You don't know that for a fact because it hasn't happened yet.
    you have make the statement.....
    Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    The South got its butt kicked in the 1st Civil War and it would get its butt kicked again in any 2nd civil war.

    sayings it a foregone conclusion.


    i said ......not so


    I am the President see me smile

  9. #159
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,371

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    And they got their backsides handed to them and the union survived.
    in 1861 the south was a agricultural economy, with no arms manufacturing base.

    today it has NASA, general dynamics and many arms manufacturing, and the north is losing arms manufacturing because northern states have become hostile to it.


    I am the President see me smile

  10. #160
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,684
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Confederate Memorial Day(s) exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    that is true..yes, but not all of the states left because of slavery, and this is made know by some of the states in their declaration of separation from the u.s.....as they stated that the u.s federal government would not upholding the constitution.

    slaves at the time were considered property and not people, and life liberty and property did not apply to them.
    IL wAR.

    That sick idea was put in the trash can by the defeat of the Confederacy in the Civil War.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •