View Poll Results: Is banning felons from voting constitutional?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Felons should lose their right to vote under the constitution during and after incarceration.

    7 20.59%
  • Felons constitutionally lose their right to vote only during incarceration.

    15 44.12%
  • There is no constitutional justification to ban felons from voting during or after incarceration

    12 35.29%
  • Stop using the race card!

    0 0%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 99

Thread: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

  1. #11
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,703

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Wait for those that see the exact opposite as "fair" (only?) when it comes to gun control.
    I don't think those who are living off the government tit ought to have a say in how that tit is funded myself. If a felon has served his time and is a productive citizen he should be able to vote. If he's living on welfare (like many are-sadly due to the fact that many cannot get jobs due to either the fact they are felons or the fact that they never had any skills to start with and thus they became mopes) I don't want him voting: record or no record
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  2. #12
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,250

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't think those who are living off the government tit ought to have a say in how that tit is funded myself. If a felon has served his time and is a productive citizen he should be able to vote. If he's living on welfare (like many are-sadly due to the fact that many cannot get jobs due to either the fact they are felons or the fact that they never had any skills to start with and thus they became mopes) I don't want him voting: record or no record
    Interesting that you consider welfare recipients lower than convicted criminals.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    First, let me say I have traditionally opposed felons having the right to vote. However, in 2012 with what seemed to ME to be deliberate efforts to create obstacles for certain people to vote based on how they are likely to vote, I began to ponder the legality to restrictions and hindrances to voting and the one man one vote concept. I might be missing something, admittedly, but I see nothing in the constitution that justifies stripping an an American citizen of their civil rights with the exception of involuntary servitude specifically limited to the duration of their sentance. This means, if I'm correct felons have a right to vote after their incarceration. I also believe, not based on any personal desire or agenda but objective understanding of what US citizenship affords, specifically equal protection under the law; felons currently incarcerated also have a right to vote no different than their rights to access to the courts.

    Have fun responding.
    You're wrong. The 14th Amendment specifically allows criminals to be deprived of the vote.

    As far as how things should be, once felons have done their time (including parole and probation), they should be allowed to vote in local elections provided that they're land owning Christians.

  4. #14
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    30,956

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't think those who are living off the government tit ought to have a say in how that tit is funded myself. If a felon has served his time and is a productive citizen he should be able to vote. If he's living on welfare (like many are-sadly due to the fact that many cannot get jobs due to either the fact they are felons or the fact that they never had any skills to start with and thus they became mopes) I don't want him voting: record or no record
    I disagree with that concept since nothing in the constitution limits (or grants) constitutional rights in such a manner. It is not a crime, that I am aware of, to not be "productive" - what you describe comes too close to a literacy test or a poll tax to deny "them" the right to vote. What of the disabled (short or long term), those receiving SS/Medicare or government pensions? I think it best to have only "due process" used to define a period of time (or monetary amount) as a sentence, and once satisfying that sentence alone, then one's rights are no longer subject to limitations.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #15
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,703

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I disagree with that concept since nothing in the constitution limits (or grants) constitutional rights in such a manner. It is not a crime, that I am aware of, to not be "productive" - what you describe comes too close to a literacy test or a poll tax to deny "them" the right to vote. What of the disabled (short or long term), those receiving SS/Medicare or government pensions? I think it best to have only "due process" used to define a period of time (or monetary amount) as a sentence, and once satisfying that sentence alone, then one's rights are no longer subject to limitations.
    actually nothing actually requires a right to vote. The 17th amendment is an abomination and we need to get rid of it. But the point I was making is that former felon status doesn't mean much to me
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  6. #16
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!
    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    33,379
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't think those who are living off the government tit ought to have a say in how that tit is funded myself.
    I agree. The influence of big business in government should be removed. Anyone who owns or runs a business that receives government funding/subsidies/etc should be banned from participating in the political process.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #17
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    30,956

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually nothing actually requires a right to vote. The 17th amendment is an abomination and we need to get rid of it. But the point I was making is that former felon status doesn't mean much to me
    Paying taxes doesn't mean much to me.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #18
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,703

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    I agree. The influence of big business in government should be removed. Anyone who owns or runs a business that receives government funding/subsidies/etc should be banned from participating in the political process.
    That's just plain stupid leaping lizard man

    the government lives off of businesses, not the other way around
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  9. #19
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,703

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Paying taxes doesn't mean much to me.
    as opposed to licensing fees for CCW?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  10. #20
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    30,956

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as opposed to licensing fees for CCW?
    That is not an opposite view - that is the supporting view. Rights are not granted (or denied) by paying (or not paying) fees/taxes. The only possible exception is for not paying a court ordered (due process) fine or victim restitution, which can then be used to assign an alternate sentence.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •