View Poll Results: Is banning felons from voting constitutional?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Felons should lose their right to vote under the constitution during and after incarceration.

    7 20.59%
  • Felons constitutionally lose their right to vote only during incarceration.

    15 44.12%
  • There is no constitutional justification to ban felons from voting during or after incarceration

    12 35.29%
  • Stop using the race card!

    0 0%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 99 of 99

Thread: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Sure - to an extent. But you've also indicated that you are a danger at some level to society around you. We should not enable you in being a greater danger.
    Sounds like trying to fight 'thought crime' to me.

    "Freedom doesn't mean safe. It means free."
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #92
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,851

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Yes, you have. You don't get to say that things like murder or kidnapping and raping a child should be overlooked because you only did it once (that we know of) before you were caught. You have demonstrated that, given freedom of action, you will abuse it. That's it. You haven't demonstrated that now you won't, you have only demonstrated that you prefer punishment to things like death-by-cop.
    Are you saying that the woman who kills her extremely abusive husband WILL kill again when given the chance?
    Donald Trump is a pied piper for the stupid.
    In that sense the man is a freakin' genius.

  3. #93
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,238

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Sounds like trying to fight 'thought crime' to me.

    "Freedom doesn't mean safe. It means free."
    Wait a minute - you just argued that we should jail people not on the basis of their crime but rather by their perceived risk.

    Square what you just said with:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa
    If you are not safe for society when released, then you should not be released
    Because that is creating and punishing people for thought crime while seeking security far more than anything I've proposed.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen
    Are you saying that the woman who kills her extremely abusive husband WILL kill again when given the chance?
    I can play this game: Are you saying that child rapists don't have a recidivism rate?

    ...The 1994 recidivism study estimated that within 3 years, 51.8% of prisoners released during the year were back in prison either because of a new crime for which they received another prison sentence, or because of a technical violation of their parole...

    That's a pretty heavy repeat-offender rate.

    Woman who killed her husband has demonstrated that there are unlawful conditions where she will kill (murder) another human being. She hasn't demonstrated that she will do it only to a spouse who hit her, she has only demonstrated that that is one trigger that will cause her to do so. Maybe she never kills again or maybe she kills the next guy who rear-ends her car.



    For some felons, sure, they won't commit crimes again. However, "having been jailed" is not an indicator of that, and using "has been released from jail" as our filter is stupid and dangerous.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  4. #94
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,851

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I can play this game: Are you saying that child rapists don't have a recidivism rate?

    ...The 1994 recidivism study estimated that within 3 years, 51.8% of prisoners released during the year were back in prison either because of a new crime for which they received another prison sentence, or because of a technical violation of their parole...

    That's a pretty heavy repeat-offender rate.

    Woman who killed her husband has demonstrated that there are unlawful conditions where she will kill (murder) another human being. She hasn't demonstrated that she will do it only to a spouse who hit her, she has only demonstrated that that is one trigger that will cause her to do so. Maybe she never kills again or maybe she kills the next guy who rear-ends her car.

    For some felons, sure, they won't commit crimes again. However, "having been jailed" is not an indicator of that, and using "has been released from jail" as our filter is stupid and dangerous.
    Thank you for repudiating your blanket statement.
    Donald Trump is a pied piper for the stupid.
    In that sense the man is a freakin' genius.

  5. #95
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,238

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Thank you for repudiating your blanket statement.
    I'm not. Assuming accurate conviction, that's why they are felons. At the point of leaving prison, that's all they've demonstrated.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  6. #96
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Wait a minute - you just argued that we should jail people not on the basis of their crime but rather by their perceived risk.
    Pretty sure I said the opposite. That statement indicates that the assumption...and law...says they are no longer a threat. Presuming they are or can be...that would be what I got from your posts.

    And I disagree. But if they are generally believed to be a threat...why are they released?
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #97
    Sporadic insanity normal.



    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,034

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    You lose those once you are a felon. Look it up.
    What about after finishing their time in prison?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    What about after finishing their time in prison?
    There are many punishments that stay with a person once they are a felon and out of prison. Many times depending on their crime.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is banning convicted felons from voting compliant with the constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    There are many punishments that stay with a person once they are a felon and out of prison. Many times depending on their crime.
    We're talking about the law (not personal or other consequences). The law has sentences for specific reasons & crimes. Then they have parole. What due process enables the govt to continue to infringe on someone's liberty and other rights (voting, 2A) if they have already served the sentences that their previous due process meted out?
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •