View Poll Results: How will SCOTUS rule?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • States can ban SSM and not recognize them from other states

    2 3.33%
  • States can ban SSM but have to recognize them from other states

    8 13.33%
  • States cannot ban SSM but do not have to recognize them from other states

    1 1.67%
  • States cannot ban SSM and have to recognize them from other states

    45 75.00%
  • No ruling, lack of standing

    1 1.67%
  • Something else

    3 5.00%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 178

Thread: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

  1. #81
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Are you sure that you cannot remember conscientious objection? Were Civil Rights contested for religious reasons? I cannot remember having read of a case.
    Seriously?

    From the first Judge in Loving:

    "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

    Sounds pretty religious to me.

    During Newman v Piggie Park, the restaurant owner claimed it was his strongly held religious belief that the races should not mix in any way. The SCOTUS rejected this defense.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #82
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    03-24-17 @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,031

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Are you sure that you cannot remember conscientious objection? Were Civil Rights contested for religious reasons? I cannot remember having read of a case.

    Here is a wiki link for general inforrmation -->> Bob Jones University v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Here is a link to the SCOTUS decision -->> FindLaw | Cases and Codes


    >>>>

  3. #83
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    03-17-17 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,908

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Interesting run down. It does not however take much notice of the rights ssm infringes on and breaks. By accepting ssm we will be tossing free religious practice, after all. And that was at the very heart of what America was about.
    What are you talking about? lol
    Free religious practice isn't impacted in anyway by equal rights for gays/SSM.

    Legal marriage has nothing to do with religion.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #84
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,281

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    No matter what the court decides, those opposed to SSM have vowed to never give up their fight against it. Like legal abortion, SSM will always be a wedge issue.
    Well, no. If the court imposes a top-down national solution, then this will remain a problem for some time. If the court leaves it to the States and to the public debate, then it will simply go there, like our other national debates.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,871

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Seriously?

    From the first Judge in Loving:

    "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

    Sounds pretty religious to me.

    During Newman v Piggie Park, the restaurant owner claimed it was his strongly held religious belief that the races should not mix in any way. The SCOTUS rejected this defense.
    Personally, I would not interpret that to mean that intermarriage was a crime against God, but if you say so. Certainly, if someone really believed it were, I would not want the government to be allowed to force her to bake a cake for a Jewish/Muslim wedding.

    I will look up the case, though the last time I took your hint, it turned out that the study was severely flawed . We had a lot of cases, where people were not allowed to avoid the draft. That usually boiled down to being judged dishonest.

  6. #86
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    03-17-17 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,908

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    No matter what the court decides, those opposed to SSM have vowed to never give up their fight against it. Like legal abortion, SSM will always be a wedge issue.
    But nobody will care what those against equal rights thinks. They lost, are losing and if they want to continue to fight let them,. They will only HELP equal rights while making themselves look like the complete jackasses they are.


    there are people right now that still think women are lessers, that minorities are lessers, that neither should have equal rights, . . nobody takes those morons seriously. Those views are simply seen for the indefensible, illogical, hateful bigotry they are.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #87
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,352

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    I'm pro SSM, but without having a law degree and true understanding of American law including the constitution in its entirety, I cannot say I'd know which argument the court could make in regards to the constitutionality of states being able to ban SSM.

    From what I can gather, the states were never necessarily barred from the power of deciding marriage laws within their domain. As far as I'm concerned, there is definitely a possibility that SSM state bans can be constitutional, as disgusting as that may sound.

    Unfortunately with 10A arguments... They're rarely, if ever, used in SCOTUS, because for some reason they tend to fail.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  8. #88
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,871

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Well, no. If the court imposes a top-down national solution, then this will remain a problem for some time. If the court leaves it to the States and to the public debate, then it will simply go there, like our other national debates.
    It might easily exacerbate the problems, as it would in the mind of persons who think that individuals should be protected from governmental interference delegitimize the state and Constitution. It is the type of right, no less, that people could easily think worth protecting and taking up arms to do. That would not at all be inconsistent with this Nation's traditions, when you think of the reason many of the first settlers left their homes in the Old World to begin in the wilderness in freedom of religious practice.

  9. #89
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,871

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    What are you talking about? lol
    Free religious practice isn't impacted in anyway by equal rights for gays/SSM.

    Legal marriage has nothing to do with religion.
    As I see, you have never even thought about the matter.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,871

    Re: Crystal Ball Time: SCOTUS and SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Here is a wiki link for general inforrmation -->> Bob Jones University v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Here is a link to the SCOTUS decision -->> FindLaw | Cases and Codes


    >>>>
    That is, in fact, interesting. I will have to read the case.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •