View Poll Results: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rural America will win and keep its historical influence in Governance

    3 15.79%
  • Urban America will win and take over Rural Americas influence in Governance

    16 84.21%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79

Thread: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What is "urbanesque?" Is that just some designation you're making up on the fly?

    Many in the cities derive their income from rural areas, so your point is largely moot.

    For the sake of simplicity, "urban" is anyone who lives within the city limits of a major metropolitan city.
    All 100% factually wrong entirely.


    Suburban means semi-urban. Kindergartners know that. Over 80% of Americans drive to a major city to derive their income from. Over 80% of Americans live in or around (suburban) said cities. You are wrong 100% sir.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    You cannot be serious.. (OH wait you are..)


    Pictures aren't stats. This shows nothing meaningful, as the suburbs surrounding the cities (not urban areas) are what make the areas of your map light up.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Pictures aren't stats. This shows nothing meaningful, as the suburbs surrounding the cities (not urban areas) are what make the areas of your map light up.
    Absolutely 100% wrong good sir.

    Suburbs are people who are classified as urban because they're urban. Hence the word, sub-urban. I think maybe you don't understand the meanings of words good sir. Those are all perfectly legitimate stats. They come from a thing called a website sir called NASA.
    Last edited by Ryan5; 04-28-15 at 10:32 PM.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Absolutely 100% wrong good sir.

    Suburbs are people who are classified as urban because they're urban. Hence the word, sub-urban. I think maybe you don't understand the meanings of words good sir. Those are all perfectly legitimate stats. They come from a thing called a website sir called NASA.
    I did your homework for you. Here are the actual per capita income figures for the five largest cities in the United States, compared to the per capita incomes of the states they are in. As you can see, urban residents are hardly more affluent, being below average in every case:


    NY City $ 22402
    NY State $40272

    LA $27952.
    California $29634

    Chicago. $20175
    Illinois $23104

    Houston. $18813.
    Texas $26019

    Philly $21946.
    PA $29190


    Boom. Your move sir.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    You seem to not grasp what your eyes see in the actual NASA datamaps on urban incomes and incomes derived from suburban people. Then again sir you seem to not even have a basic logical understanding of the word suburban and in that respect I don't know that intellectually we could proceed much further with your argument until you somehow learn what suburban means by any modern measure. Suburban peoples derive their incomes and work in city's good sir. Not rural America. Nor are they part of rural American good sir. Learning is a good thing sir!

  6. #66
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,435

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Now here's where I (and I think most fellow millennials) would 100% disagree with you (and I believe you are actually incorrect factually so on this).


    Suburban is point in fact urban. No it doesn't have inner-city clutter (although actually that's not true, I've seen numerous city-esq high business buildings in mass suburbia just as high and big as any downtown, they aren't actually that rare). Suburbia is urban. Suburban residents simply don't want to believe it is. It has all the commercial hubs of a city. In many respects modern suburbia is the city writ large. I think in this sense this is the underlying cultural problem of America. Cities died and became the suburbs. With the death of the city came the idea for 80% of Americans residing in cities proverbial offspring, suburbs, that "Okay we aren't urban we're country people because we no longer live in cities". (Whatever that is). The truth is no they aren't. They're living in cities offspring.


    -There's more Starbucks in mass suburbia than there are in most downtown's in America

    -There's more fast food in suburbia than in the average city in America


    It's simply not true that "Suburbia is somehow rural". It is not. It is completely urban. There are bike paths. There are parks. There are massive hospitals nicer than any you'll find downtown. The idea that suburbia is somehow "Secret Rural America" is totally delusional and frankly is the equivalent of living in a fantasy world. (Which I'd argue probably the average suburban person does live in a pseudo fantasy world. They go to Olive Garden and spend $100+ on family dinner, drive home in their Lexus's and then deem themselves country people all while being 50+ miles away from the nearest rural area.)

    Oh my God!!! TREES!!!! We're in the country!!! LoL.. No you aren't. You're 12 minutes from a downtown with millions of people..

    If you drew a twelve mile circle with my house in the exact center there would be TWO stabucks and 3 fast food joints. if you go to downtown Seattle I personally know of at least 12 sbux locations just in the downtown core (two in the Columbia center, one in the 1201 3rd building, Westlake park, and in Westlake mall, Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market, 2 on fourth avenue, one on 5th, yada yada so the argument there's more starbucks in suburban areas fails, actually my area may well be classed as rural, depending upon who's definition you use.

    I am a millennial as well, I do not consider suburban to be urban, I have lived in both, living in suburban south kitsap county, is not anything remotely like Seattle.

    to claim suburbs as "urban areas" is to me, silly. that's the problem with "80 percent of americans live in a metropolitan area" statistic is its 100% arbitrary. I live in a "metropolitan area" where there's no full time firefighters, the county is over 70% forested, and most people work in trades or in the 4 different wood product mills in nearby Shelton. I'm the outlier being that I commute 70 miles to Seattle for work

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_metropolitan_area

    my county (Mason) is listed in the Seattle Metropolitan CSA, no one who's been to Mason county would describe us as "urban" the only city in the whole county doesn't even have 10,000 people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    You seem to not grasp what your eyes see in the actual NASA datamaps on urban incomes and incomes derived from suburban people. Then again sir you seem to not even have a basic logical understanding of the word suburban and in that respect I don't know that intellectually we could proceed much further with your argument until you somehow learn what suburban means by any modern measure. Suburban peoples derive their incomes and work in city's good sir. Not rural America. Nor are they part of rural American good sir. Learning is a good thing sir!
    Suburbanites are neither urban nor rural. There's enough of them in this country to merit their own designation, which they have.

    You can't just lump the rich suburbs in to your stats just to make your case for the cities look better. It doesn't work that way. People live in suburbs because they choose not to live in cities...be that for the space, the front lawn, the safety and privacy, the schools, etc. These people are anything but urban.

    If stats don't convince you, use common sense. Someone living in Plano Texas, a suburb 45 minutes from Dallas, is not "urban" the way someone living in Manhattan is urban. You can't compare the two.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    You seem to not grasp what your eyes see in the actual NASA datamaps on urban incomes and incomes derived from suburban people. Then again sir you seem to not even have a basic logical understanding of the word suburban and in that respect I don't know that intellectually we could proceed much further with your argument until you somehow learn what suburban means by any modern measure. Suburban peoples derive their incomes and work in city's good sir. Not rural America. Nor are they part of rural American good sir. Learning is a good thing sir!
    The problem is you're counting suburbs as urban areas, which is incorrect.

  9. #69
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,435

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    As opposed to destroyed rural areas?



    Not even a little bit confined to urban areas. In fact, there's probably more pollution in the remote rural areas where they build polluting factories than in cities where all the people live.



    While this bothers you, to many of us the density of cities is a feature, not a bug.



    Finally, a valid point. However, plenty of habitats are destroyed in the clearing for forests for agriculture, or the diverting of rivers. This is a problem, but like the pollution, hardly contained to urban areas.



    And higher incomes and a much higher standard of living to make up for it.

    None of this, of course, has anything to do with my assertion that urban ideas, wealth, culture, and innovation are what drive this country. The thread is about influence. The influence that defines who and what we are as Americans doesn't come from rural living. It comes from the cities. It always has. This has been true since the first city that humans built.
    higher personal incomes in urban areas come exclusively from a handful of really wealthy who live in cities. I don't think the immgrants cleaning hotel rooms or the high school drop out pumping your gas would agree that there is a higher personal income from just living inside city limits. and urban living has gotten incredibly expensive as of late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  10. #70
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,435

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The problem is you're counting suburbs as urban areas, which is incorrect.
    exactly, the census bureau considers this



    and



    to be "metropolitan areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •