View Poll Results: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rural America will win and keep its historical influence in Governance

    3 15.79%
  • Urban America will win and take over Rural Americas influence in Governance

    16 84.21%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79

Thread: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

  1. #21
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,570

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The contempt expressed in this thread for rural folks is quite disturbing.
    It's nothing new, the left has long loathed rural folks. They do everything they can to try and force us into their urban blight. If they had their way, rural life would be outlawed. Good luck.

  2. #22
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 06:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,507

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    The era of the dominance of cities, I think, is perhaps plateauing, if not waning. As technology makes it possible to enjoy the benefits of urban life away from the problems of urban life, cities lose much of their appeal relative to suburbs or even rural living.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,984

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I don't have any contempt for Rural Americans or rural people in the slightest. They're good people. I come from them so I know they're good people. Nor do I agree with the posts outright attacking Rural Americans or rural people in general. Those posts are wrong. Rural America has its own culture that was once dominant and I respect it a great deal.


    That said you and other posters take unnecessary offense at the basic issue of equal representation in government. 80%+ of America is urban or suburban. Rural America has massive undue influence in our society. Many suburban Americans or even some urban Americans like to think of themselves as "Urban Cowboys in Lexus Sedans". That's simply not true. They aren't rural just because they like going to the rodeo once a year. That doesn't make you rural. Simply because someone likes rural America doesn't mean they're rural. All I'm saying is Rural America has undue influence thanks to Americans having an obsessive "Rural Nostalgia" Complex.



    You aren't "Rural" because you drive a union built, US Federal Govt. Bailed-out GMC or Ford truck..


    Get real people. You aren't "Country".


    If suburbanites want to identify more with rural that's their decision.


    Suits me. I personally am not a suburbanite. I do not live in subdivision; I live on what's left of the family farm. My nearest neighbors are not visible from my front door. Where I am, there is no public transportation, no sidewalk, no streetlights, no strip malls or shopping centers. The closest thing to a neighborhood restaurant is a truck stop half a mile down the road. If you want anything much you have to go three miles to the nearest small town; there's not much there either besides a Dollar General, a Hardees and a CVS.

    The real point is none of us, urban or suburban or rural, would CARE nearly as much who ran the government IF the government had not grown so unreasonably powerful and intrusive and manipulative as regards to the average citizen's personal life. The Founders originally envisioned a system where ordinary citizens would barely CARE who ran the Fedgov, because it would be so limited in its effects on domestic issue, and more concerned with who ran their own State and local governments.

    Why would a rural person want to pay into a tax bin that would pay for city public transportation, when he personally isn't going to benefit from it? For instance...

    Why try to make everyone be/live the same?


    Personally, I've rarely asked for much from the government other than the basics, and to otherwise be left alone as much as possible.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Clearly the bulk of people actually live in the suburbs. People who over the years who have fled the cities and those areas have slowly encroached on the more rural areas. Most people like living near bigger cities but only until recently, young people didn't want to actually live there after they left school. I think young people have begun to flock to cities because small areas have tried to become more like the suburbs.

    In my own area of Philadelphia, first the people and the companies were in the cities. Then the people started moving to the suburbs so traffic to jobs was mostly toward the cities. Then the companies moved in droves to the suburbs to escape the higher taxes of the city. Then people started working in the suburbs so now traffic to jobs is mostly towards the suburbs. Now the city is enticing companies with tax abatements for companies to move back and there are small areas of the city that are becoming acceptable to surburbanites and the new graduates, but the process is much slower.

    My conclusion is that the suburban areas are much more influential than both. Politically, the Philadelphia suburbs are much more influential on the politics of the state and the country than the huge cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, yet the more rural areas between the larger cities still retain influence.
    Yes I know this is all true as I think most do save for fringe leftist radicals.



    That said you highlight the issue yourself of suburban (key word sub-URBAN) Americans refusing to accept that they are in fact urban people ultimately. Mass Suburbia is more city than it is country. It has Starbucks. It has more foreign luxury sedans than trucks. It isn't by any measure rural. Not in culture. Not in economics. Not in who resides there. Not in location either. Most Suburban areas are closer to a city than a rural area. Yet listening to many suburban Americans talk about politics you'd think they were a stones throw away from actual rural America. They aren't. These people are wearing $75 Polo button down shirts, slacks, dress shoes yet still somehow manage to "Take Offense" at issues that economically and socially haven't related to them in generations.

  5. #25
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,004

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Yes I know this is all true as I think most do save for fringe leftist radicals.



    That said you highlight the issue yourself of suburban (key word sub-URBAN) Americans refusing to accept that they are in fact urban people ultimately. Mass Suburbia is more city than it is country. It has Starbucks. It has more foreign luxury sedans than trucks. It isn't by any measure rural. Not in culture. Not in economics. Not in who resides there. Not in location either. Most Suburban areas are closer to a city than a rural area. Yet listening to many suburban Americans talk about politics you'd think they were a stones throw away from actual rural America. They aren't. These people are wearing $75 Polo button down shirts, slacks, dress shoes yet still somehow manage to "Take Offense" at issues that economically and socially haven't related to them in generations.
    My point is that suburban is neither Urban nor Rural. They have escaped the true Urban because the city became less and less of what they wanted from the city.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    My point is that suburban is neither Urban nor Rural. They have escaped the true Urban because the city became less and less of what they wanted from the city.

    Now here's where I (and I think most fellow millennials) would 100% disagree with you (and I believe you are actually incorrect factually so on this).


    Suburban is point in fact urban. No it doesn't have inner-city clutter (although actually that's not true, I've seen numerous city-esq high business buildings in mass suburbia just as high and big as any downtown, they aren't actually that rare). Suburbia is urban. Suburban residents simply don't want to believe it is. It has all the commercial hubs of a city. In many respects modern suburbia is the city writ large. I think in this sense this is the underlying cultural problem of America. Cities died and became the suburbs. With the death of the city came the idea for 80% of Americans residing in cities proverbial offspring, suburbs, that "Okay we aren't urban we're country people because we no longer live in cities". (Whatever that is). The truth is no they aren't. They're living in cities offspring.


    -There's more Starbucks in mass suburbia than there are in most downtown's in America

    -There's more fast food in suburbia than in the average city in America


    It's simply not true that "Suburbia is somehow rural". It is not. It is completely urban. There are bike paths. There are parks. There are massive hospitals nicer than any you'll find downtown. The idea that suburbia is somehow "Secret Rural America" is totally delusional and frankly is the equivalent of living in a fantasy world. (Which I'd argue probably the average suburban person does live in a pseudo fantasy world. They go to Olive Garden and spend $100+ on family dinner, drive home in their Lexus's and then deem themselves country people all while being 50+ miles away from the nearest rural area.)

    Oh my God!!! TREES!!!! We're in the country!!! LoL.. No you aren't. You're 12 minutes from a downtown with millions of people..


  7. #27
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ubiquitous
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    72,952

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    We've been fighting the urban vs rural battle since the beginning of this country. It's Hamilton vs Jefferson. Urban has been pretty steadily winning the entire time. That's why we have all these nice things.
    Like urban blight, air pollution, water pollution, ground pollution, congestion, smaller living space, lack of land ownership, destruction of natrual habitats, high taxes.


    Wonderful stuff!
    If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight like a lion.

  8. #28
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ubiquitous
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    72,952

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    If you are in suburbia close to the city, you are more urban, as you go further away, suburbia makes way for rural... simple really/
    If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight like a lion.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    If you are in suburbia close to the city, you are more urban, as you go further away, suburbia makes way for rural... simple really/
    No actually that's entirely wrong sir lol.

    Suburban has the word urban in it. It doesn't ever equate to "Secret Rural area" just because you want it to. If a place is actually suburban that means it us an urban-esq commercial and economic hub, in other words subURBAN.


    Lol see what I mean? We really are fighting basic logic here..

  10. #30
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,074

    Re: Future Influence: Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    As a political junkie this is the only real issue that actually matters as I see it. The emotion-inducing topic of Rural vrs Urban influence in America and who will essentially "win" in the future. I think it's the one issue that all others derive their inherent problems from subtly so.

    Future Influence
    : Rural vrs Urban America. Who Wins?


    For the first time in history, more people worldwide live in cities than outside them. Across the globe, urban areas add more than 60 million new residents every year. In the United States, of course, the rural-to-urban tipping point happened generations ago. Today, nearly 80 percent of Americans live in metropolitan areas). But it’s a demographic shift that’s ongoing.
    It’s the age of urban ascendance. But it’s also an age of urban/rural discord. In an ever-flatter world, big cities often identify more with urban counterparts halfway across the globe than they do with rural leaders just down the road. Chicago woos jobs from Shanghai, but may not coordinate with small towns in downstate Illinois. Boston aligns itself more with Berlin and Beijing than with the Berkshires.There’s always been a gulf between rural and urban America. But that rift is widening -- in politics, in funding, in economic mobility, on social issues. How government leaders respond to that rift can either help bridge the gap between cities and rural areas, or drive the country down an even more divergent and potentially debilitating path.
    America's Rural/Urban Divide: A Special Series




    There really are two Americas. An urban one and a rural one. - The Washington Post
    Red State, Blue City: How the Urban-Rural Divide Is Splitting America - The Atlantic
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...gress/1827407/
    This reminds me of someone's avatar which shows an electoral map. Rural was red, urban areas blue. Apparently the belief being that Romney should be President because he won more real estate or something.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •