View Poll Results: Should be on welfare be allowed to vote?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 82.50%
  • No

    15 12.50%
  • Other

    7 5.83%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    11 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 756

Thread: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

  1. #731
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,677

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Whew...now I did not see that one coming!

    Thank goodness we don't need to depend on other peop....er...adults, we are, after all, totally AUTONOMOUS beings, not needing farmers, doctors, soldiers, scientists, wives, husbands.....we can do everything ourselves....ABSOLUTELY! It does not take a village, it only takes oneself (too seriously)!
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You are a dependent.
    There are varying degrees of dependence. Many posts ago within this thread I acknowledged that most recipients of welfare are not 100% dependent on government assistance for all things, thus rather than losing the vote entirely that it be weighted.

  2. #732
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,635

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    There are varying degrees of dependence. Many posts ago within this thread I acknowledged that most recipients of welfare are not 100% dependent on government assistance for all things, thus rather than losing the vote entirely that it be weighted.
    because I'm sure county elections offices would really love to audit W-2s and benefit statements for each ballot cast, and how would you do this without attaching a name to the ballot and doing away with secret ballots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #733
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,677

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    because I'm sure county elections offices would really love to audit W-2s and benefit statements for each ballot cast, and how would you do this without attaching a name to the ballot and doing away with secret ballots?
    I don't know, the discussion has thus far been more theoretical than procedural.

  4. #734
    Repentless
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,038

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    There are varying degrees of dependence. Many posts ago within this thread I acknowledged that most recipients of welfare are not 100% dependent on government assistance for all things, thus rather than losing the vote entirely that it be weighted.
    SO you want voters to qualify to vote. That sounds a bit too authoritarian for my tastes.

    ANd as I stated some posts a go, this drive to disfranchise voters is nothing but a attempt at a power grab. It is pretty obvious the hyper partisan accusation going on here. Conservatives believe that most of the Democrats are leeches and that barring democrats/welfare addicts then the Republican party will be able to dictate what and how things go. It is naive to have such a position, since if we start disfranchising groups of voters it will not stop there. It just really gives Conservatives a bad image (since this masturbatory pipe dream will go nowhere).

  5. #735
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    If the rationale is that people who are on welfare are dependent on the government and therefore shouldn't be allowed to vote, then should military personnel, civil servants, political office holders, etc. also be barred from voting?

  6. #736
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    03-25-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,371

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Huur...duur. She is a soccer Mom, a nurse with 2 children.....she never used SNAP or TANF.

    Again for the hard of understanding, she was WORRIED about NOT being able to pay her mortgage fuel bills, she never expected a POTUS to do it, she was never on welfare. She was hoping the economy would improve to alleviate her concerns, it was about economics, not welfare.

    Frigging bag of hammers argument.
    .....

    we were not even talking about snap here, and she never expressed the ability not be able to pay....
    Last edited by Master PO; 04-29-15 at 09:37 AM.


    I am the President see me smile

  7. #737
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    03-25-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,371

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Wait a second here what are you trying to say now? You want higher gas prices because of job losses?
    no.... just saying when the price of oil goes to low, the there are a lost of jobs in the oil industry.


    I am the President see me smile

  8. #738
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,117

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    .....

    we were not even talking about snap here, and she never expressed the ability not be able to pay....
    Sure, when a person expresses that they were worried about paying their mortgage....somehow to you, it is "never expressing the inability to pay".
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #739
    Educator idea_steed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    10-08-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    932

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    If the rationale is that people who are on welfare are dependent on the government and therefore shouldn't be allowed to vote, then should military personnel, civil servants, political office holders, etc. also be barred from voting?
    I don't think that is a good comparison. Welfare means the government grants you basic needs but you don't need to work to pay back. The military personnel and civil servants work for their payment. In other words, those are their jobs rather than social welfare.
    Passion and Patience

  10. #740
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by idea_steed View Post
    I don't think that is a good comparison. Welfare means the government grants you basic needs but you don't need to work to pay back. The military personnel and civil servants work for their payment. In other words, those are their jobs rather than social welfare.
    I take your point. But if dependence on government is the rationale then people who rely on government for their job and thus for their livelyhood are certainly comparable. As are those who receive a pension from government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •