View Poll Results: Should be on welfare be allowed to vote?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 82.50%
  • No

    15 12.50%
  • Other

    7 5.83%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    11 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 756

Thread: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

  1. #671
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    03-21-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,544

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    So what? Why don't we allow minors to vote or do other adult things?
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

  2. #672
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,117

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    What is the reason children don't (can't) vote?
    Because they lack "maturity, judgment, and stability for responsible exercise of the franchise", they are not legally adults, they cannot be drafted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #673
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,675

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
    Did you forget what thread you're in? What is it about minors that renders them unable to vote, contract with others, etc.? What is it about being a minor that precludes this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Because they lack "maturity, judgment, and stability for responsible exercise of the franchise", they are not legally adults, they cannot be drafted.
    So they are substantively different from autonomous taxpaying adults in such that they do not have the same social, political and legal rights and responsibilities as autonomous taxpaying adults.

    What do we say about adults who are not autonomous, taxpaying, those who lack maturity, judgment and stability for responsible exercise of the franchise? According to you, it would seem we pretend they don't lack such things, rather you'd pretend they have them even when they demonstrably don't.

  4. #674
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    03-21-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,544

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Did you forget what thread you're in? What is it about minors that renders them unable to vote, contract with others, etc.? What is it about being a minor that precludes this?.
    A minor is not at all the same as an adult. There are lots of things adults are allowed to do that children can't. Hint: it has nothing to do with paying taxes

  5. #675
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,117

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    So they are substantively different from autonomous taxpaying adults in such that they do not have the same social, political and legal rights and responsibilities as autonomous taxpaying adults.

    What do we say about adults who are not autonomous, taxpaying, those who lack maturity, judgment and stability for responsible exercise of the franchise? According to you, it would seem we pretend they don't lack such things, rather you'd pretend they have them even when they demonstrably don't.
    I imagine you are trying to say something, and when you have it worked out, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #676
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,423

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    A minor is not at all the same as an adult. There are lots of things adults are allowed to do that children can't. Hint: it has nothing to do with paying taxes
    Does it have to do with other laws?

  7. #677
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,675

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    A minor is not at all the same as an adult. There are lots of things adults are allowed to do that children can't. Hint: it has nothing to do with paying taxes
    Being subject to taxes definitely has something to do with the social/political/legal rights and responsibilities of being an adult. Something separates minors from adults. What is it? Hint, Gimmesometruth has already told us a couple posts ago.

  8. #678
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    03-21-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,544

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Does it have to do with other laws?
    If you mean things like when they can legally drink or fight in a war....yes. They lack the maturity to make such decisions. All of this has nothing to do with OP.

  9. #679
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    03-21-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,544

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Being subject to taxes definitely has something to do with the social/political/legal rights and responsibilities of being an adult. Something separates minors from adults. What is it? Hint, Gimmesometruth has already told us a couple posts ago.
    The answer is maturity.

  10. #680
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,423

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    If you mean things like when they can legally drink or fight in a war....yes. They lack the maturity to make such decisions. All of this has nothing to do with OP.
    I thought so.

Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •