View Poll Results: Should be on welfare be allowed to vote?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 82.50%
  • No

    15 12.50%
  • Other

    7 5.83%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    11 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 756

Thread: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

  1. #571
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,222
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your article simply has nothing to do with reality. People who are hungry are more likely to engage in populist revolutions. This is true and your argument simply doesn't refute that. I can cite hundreds of examples of revolts occurring because they are supported by starving masses. Taxes as we have them today, ensure that the poor aren't persuaded into mass revolts and start knocking on the doors of private communities.
    I supported my argument with comments from a PhD economist who lived the situation he was commenting on. It has everything to do with reality. Rebut him if you can.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #572
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,222
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You don't know why anyone voted for any politician, unless they each specifically told you that they voted for that politician for the promised "freebies". I'm willing to bet that in reality, people don't vote for that one single thing, not the vast majority anyway.
    Sorry but that is non sequitur to the argument made.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #573
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,471

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    No question about it. But when an ability to vote includes trampling on the rights of others, it is fair game to question and evaluate that.
    If everyone has the right to vote then they all have the ability to trample the rights of other.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  4. #574
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,333

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    The government cannot govern without the support and consent of its citizens.
    you and i cannot in any way shape of form have the ability to create a RIGHT........therefore, you and i can cannot elect someone, and give them the ability to create a right....since you and i do not how the ablity in the first place.

  5. #575
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,732

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I didn't intend to show that.
    It is the intermediary step between voting and getting said benefit.



    My intention was to answer the question suggested by the OP: Should Citizen A, who didn't merit or earn it, be able to vote himself/herself what Citizen B legally and ethically earned or acquired?
    That is not what the OP posted, that is what you twisted it, by virtue of your libertarian POV, into.

    This is the OP:

    Should they be allowed to vote while on welfare?

    Can you answer that question without veering off into a related but different topic?
    Oh, once again....THE IRONY!!!!

    Those who vote for politicians because they promise to keep the freebies coming are doing just that.
    I just said:

    You have not shown how citizen "A" has directly voted to benefit from SNAP, nor have you shown that any politician has been elected primarily because of a supposed campaign promise on SNAP.

    Are you going to answer it this time, or dance around it again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #576
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    41,437

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    If everyone has the right to vote then they all have the ability to trample the rights of other.
    C'mon, don't you know that it's the wealthy that are the true victims in today's society?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #577
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,369

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    that is correct.....however forced taxation does violate the founding principles of america.
    Your understanding of basic political philosophy really leaves so much to be desired. Taxation in every single political system exists under the threat of force. If the founders included taxation within the constitution it was acknowledge that it was under that same threat. As such, FORCED TAXATION has always been a founding principle of America's political system since its inception.

    Whatever your emotions might be on the matter, taxes as they are used today ensure that the poor aren't rioting over anything other than some black kid killed. That's a net benefit.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #578
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,369

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I supported my argument with comments from a PhD economist who lived the situation he was commenting on. It has everything to do with reality. Rebut him if you can.
    And his situation had nothing to do with what I discussed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #579
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,471

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you and i cannot in any way shape of form have the ability to create a RIGHT........therefore, you and i can cannot elect someone, and give them the ability to create a right....since you and i do not how the ablity in the first place.
    If we feel that the current government has become too corrupt, do we as citizens have the right to reject that government in favor of one more in line with respecting our natural rights?

    John Locke must not have been one of your sources
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #580
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,333

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your understanding of basic political philosophy really leaves so much to be desired. Taxation in every single political system exists under the threat of force. If the founders included taxation within the constitution it was acknowledge that it was under that same threat. However, whatever your emotions might be on the matter, taxes as they are used today ensure that the poor aren't rioting over anything other than some black kid killed. That's a net benefit.
    wrong.......under original constitutional law.....taxes are placed on commerce...which is a voluntary exchange..there is no forced constitutional taxation until the 16th

    forced taxation violates the founding principles of the declaration of independence, ..which is recognized by u.s. federal law.

Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •