View Poll Results: Should be on welfare be allowed to vote?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 82.50%
  • No

    15 12.50%
  • Other

    7 5.83%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    11 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 56 of 76 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 756

Thread: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

  1. #551
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,680
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nope, however, there are enough people starving already who would to make the prospect of more starving people, a real danger to our species. The human species doesn't do well when it's starving. It starts fighting itself and becoming unstable. Taxes ensure the opposite. They ensure that enough people are fed so that they don't engage in populist revolutions.

    Your absurd understanding of my statement leaves much to be desired. However, that simply isn't what I'm saying. My approach is like saying that I don't object to taxes because of all the people that they provide for.
    Many historians have studied that phenomenon and what they conclude simply does not support your argument. Most especially in the United States where starvation is rare and foolish given all the public and private resources to prevent it. So it is not hunger that drives welfare. Probably people on welfare include overweight kids and adults more than the general population as a whole.

    ". . .The "politically correct" theory is that poverty and discrimination is the cause of high crime rates. During my youth in the 1930s and 1940s, black neighborhoods were far safer than today. It would be preposterous to suggest back then there was less poverty and discrimination. . ."--Walter Williams.
    Walter Williams
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #552
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,117

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    No, they are receiving vast sums by virtue of holding their elected or appointed seats in government. It provides them all kinds of opportunity to enrich themselves, others who are then obligated to them, family members, etc. Catering to the 'poor' just keeps some of them in those seats.

    For a really good perspective about all this, I recommend Peter Schweizer's book "Extortion:"
    You just proved my point, their supposed accumulation of wealth is not coming from the poor. Is the argument going to become so convoluted that politicians becoming wealthy will end if SNAP recipients have their franchise revoked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #553
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,630

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You just proved my point, their supposed accumulation of wealth is not coming from the poor. Is the argument going to become so convoluted that politicians becoming wealthy will end if SNAP recipients have their franchise revoked?
    The theory is that no one votes against their own interests and if snap benefits were facing cuts recipients would be less likely to vote for the cutting candidate and an election may become more competitive.

    I have not studied this in any scientific way so I don't have any idea if it's true
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #554
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,680
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You have not shown how citizen "A" has directly voted to benefit from SNAP, nor have you shown that any politician has been elected primarily because of a supposed campaign promise on SNAP. Further, you keep sidestepping the fact that owners of grocery chains, those that PROFIT from SNAP spending, are not going not "lose their vote" under your plan. Again, huge contributors that lobby Congress for contracts DIRECTLY cannot lose their franchise. This argument is just beyond stupid.
    I didn't intend to show that. My intention was to answer the question suggested by the OP: Should Citizen A, who didn't merit or earn it, be able to vote himself/herself what Citizen B legally and ethically earned or acquired? Can you answer that question without veering off into a related but different topic?

    Those who vote for politicians because they promise to keep the freebies coming are doing just that.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #555
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,680
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The OP doesnt ask if welfare people should be able to vote on welfare issues, the Op asks is they should be able to vote ever.

    Specific groups like senior citizens get to vote on if a levy should be approved for senior citizen centers. Those who are not old enough have to pay that levy even though they wont be going to the senior citizen center and receive any services. We dont charge just certain people taxes everyone pays the tax. There specific product and service taxes but there isnt a requirement to but those products and services. Owners of motels get to vote on lodgers tax changes.
    I don't see where the OP includes 'ever'. I see the OP offering an interesting question to answer and pretty much leaves it up to those discussing it to interpret what 'voting' might mean or include.

    And everybody doesn't pay all the taxes they want imposed on everybody else. Everybody doesn't benefit from government programs targeted for specific special interest groups. Of course the less prosperous are all for the more prosperous paying all the taxes. But is that a fair system when the less prosperous then benefit from what the more prosperous pay for?

    Or is the more fair way to have everybody chip in for the benefits they receive? And those who cannot or will not do that will be at the mercy of those who do but are not given power to demand that others support them?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #556
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,461

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nope, however, there are enough people starving already who would to make the prospect of more starving people, a real danger to our species. The human species doesn't do well when it's starving. It starts fighting itself and becoming unstable. Taxes ensure the opposite. They ensure that enough people are fed so that they don't engage in populist revolutions.
    So you support robbery to feed people that are inclined to kill others if they don't get what they want. So basically if they can't rob me they will kill me, right? Hmm..so the solution is to let them rob me? Seems to me the solution to that situation is to kill the aggressive ****s.

  7. #557
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,664

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I didn't intend to show that. My intention was to answer the question suggested by the OP: Should Citizen A, who didn't merit or earn it, be able to vote himself/herself what Citizen B legally and ethically earned or acquired? Can you answer that question without veering off into a related but different topic?

    Those who vote for politicians because they promise to keep the freebies coming are doing just that.
    The right to to vote is one of the most important rights given to citizens.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  8. #558
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,361

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You just proved my point, their supposed accumulation of wealth is not coming from the poor. Is the argument going to become so convoluted that politicians becoming wealthy will end if SNAP recipients have their franchise revoked?
    ........i don't know how you arrive that these interpreations.


    I am the President see me smile

  9. #559
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,361

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    The right to to vote is one of the most important rights given to citizens.
    given by whom?


    I am the President see me smile

  10. #560
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,117

    Re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Many historians have studied that phenomenon and what they conclude simply does not support your argument. Most especially in the United States where starvation is rare and foolish given all the public and private resources to prevent it.
    OMG, you are arguing to END WELFARE, you can't seriously be arguing that revolution has not happened because of social supports while arguing for the ending of these same social supports....while saying revolutions have not happened beccause of social supports.....FFS!!!!!!!


    So it is not hunger that drives welfare. Probably people on welfare include overweight kids and adults more than the general population as a whole.
    Um, food insecurity drives choice to high fat/low nutrition sources. You are once again making a "soup kitchens cause depressions" argument.

    ". . .The "politically correct" theory is that poverty and discrimination is the cause of high crime rates. During my youth in the 1930s and 1940s, black neighborhoods were far safer than today. It would be preposterous to suggest back then there was less poverty and discrimination. . ."--Walter Williams.
    Walter Williams
    Oh well, falling back to Randian commentators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 56 of 76 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •