View Poll Results: Should be on welfare be allowed to vote?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 82.50%
  • No

    15 12.50%
  • Other

    7 5.83%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    11 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 756

Thread: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

  1. #451
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Straw, I never said it was. Try reading what I posted more carefully.

    Again, a baseless claim since, again, "privilege" is never once mentioned in the Constitution in relation to individual voting rights.
    The fact that each amendment only prohibits the right to vote for certain classes of people proves my point nicely. It might say the right to vote many times over, but the Constitution treats voting as a privilege granted to certain groups of people.

  2. #452
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,049

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    sorry you are wrong....



    Section. 2.

    The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.


    rights do not have Qualifications requisite.

    rights require no action from government for a right to be exercised,...but privileges do require an action.......voting cannot be accomplished without government action.

    the constitution states voting cannot be denied for certain reasons.
    Standing on your head continues. Not only have you not shown that "privilege" is stated in connection to the right to vote, you continue to miss that the protection of rights is the primary function of the USC. Protection of rights comes after an attempt to curtail. The right to free speech is not total, absolute....or are you going to argue that it is a "privilege" too?
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 04-25-15 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #453
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,049

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The fact that each amendment only prohibits the right to vote for certain classes of people proves my point nicely. It might say the right to vote many times over, but the Constitution treats voting as a privilege granted to certain groups of people.
    WTF? Each amendment concerning voting rights PROTECTS the right of classes that were once infringed upon.

    FFS, stop standing on your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #454
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,746

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    your statement eludes to that two people 1 with a vote, can use his vote to prevent the 1 without a vote from owning property both would be vying over.

    right to property.... is a natural right...votes cannot take it away from those with no property [land].
    Without the means to acquire property any right to have it is meaningless.

    And the centralization of the vote to the few would certainly mean that fewer people would have the means to acquire property. WE've seen that happen in plutocratic societies in the past.
    "Education is the only thing you can do that will change society. Everything else is just a band-aid." - Jacqueline de Chollet
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education" - FDR

  5. #455
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,333

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Standing on your head continues. Not only have you not shown that "privilege" is stated in connection to the right to vote, the protection of rights is the primary function of the USC. Protection of rights comes after an attempt to curtail. The right to free speech is not total, absolute....or are you going to argue that it is a "privilege" too?

    the constitution speaks of natural rights, and privileges that is all.

    natural rights do not require anything from government at all, and their are no qualifications to exercise a right.

    privileges require a government action for the privilege to be exercised......the constitution states that you cannot be denied the vote because of race or sex.

    my right to exercise free speech does not require government to do anything....


    when rights are exercised ..government just stands back and does nothing.

    when a privilege is exercised...government action is required........because government creates privileges, and government must uphold its own privileges, not the people.

  6. #456
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,333

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    Without the means to acquire property any right to have it is meaningless.

    And the centralization of the vote to the few would certainly mean that fewer people would have the means to acquire property. WE've seen that happen in plutocratic societies in the past.
    how can you be stopped from acquiring property since it is a right, and the legislature a person would vote for, has no authority to create or abolish a right.

  7. #457
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,592

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    This is such a difficult question when it is evaluated objectively and outside of partisan propaganda, political correctness police action, and other emotion-charged responses.

    I have long thought it extremely unfair that those who pay no federal taxes would have ability to vote for people who pledge to raise taxes on everybody else.

    I have long thought it extremely unfair that those who are little or not at all affected by increases in property taxes have ability to vote on initiatives that will raise those taxes for property owners.

    And I have long thought it extremely unfair that those who are supported by the rest of us have ability to vote for those who pledge to keep the gravy train going for those who are supported and thereby increase the burden on those of us who are footing that bill.

    It is the righteous sense that those who pay the bills should be the ones to vote on how much of those bills they are willing to pay.

    And that righteous sense is made very difficult weighed against the concept of one citizen, one vote.
    Your logic takes away the right to vote from: ALL public servants. That includes the entire military, even retired war veterans. All Government employee's, renter's/leases, snowbirds, etc.

    In fact to take away more voters rights all a government would have to do is change the tax code.

  8. #458
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,746

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    how can you be stopped from acquiring property since it is a right, and the legislature a person would vote for, has no authority to create or abolish a right.
    Because, as I already said, without the means to exercise a right, the fact that it is 'natural' is meaningless.

    Legislature by the rich may not be able to remove the actual right to property, but it can certainly hinder the ability to acquire the means by which one acquires property. Which in effect, causes the same thing.
    "Education is the only thing you can do that will change society. Everything else is just a band-aid." - Jacqueline de Chollet
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education" - FDR

  9. #459
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,049

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the constitution speaks of natural rights, and privileges that is all.

    natural rights do not require anything from government at all, and their are no qualifications to exercise a right.

    privileges require a government action for the privilege to be exercised......the constitution states that you cannot be denied the vote because of race or sex.

    my right to exercise free speech does not require government to do anything....


    when rights are exercised ..government just stands back and does nothing.

    when a privilege is exercised...government action is required........because government creates privileges, and government must uphold its own privileges, not the people.
    You still cannot fathom the basic point, whatever imagined "natural rights" a human supposedly has, those real, actual rights that you have protected by the US Govt are spelled out by the Constitution. Again, just because a person thinks he might have a "natural right" to yell fire in a crowed theater, it doesn't mean it is going to be protected by the USG.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #460
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,746

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Your logic takes away the right to vote from: ALL public servants. That includes the entire military, even retired war veterans. All Government employee's, renter's/leases, snowbirds, etc.

    In fact to take away more voters rights all a government would have to do is change the tax code.
    The people who want a plutocracy always draw the line of whether someone deserves a vote underneath themselves. Anyone who relies on government any more than them is not worthy of the vote. Nevermind the fact that we all rely on services provided by the government.
    "Education is the only thing you can do that will change society. Everything else is just a band-aid." - Jacqueline de Chollet
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education" - FDR

Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •