View Poll Results: Should be on welfare be allowed to vote?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 82.50%
  • No

    15 12.50%
  • Other

    7 5.83%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    11 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 756

Thread: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

  1. #411
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,791

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Of course I could be wrong. But I don't believe I am wrong on the point I have been arguing. That you have yet to represent correctly or accurately.
    You can spin it and dance around it all you want, but this really sums up everything you have been saying so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    That is a very different thing from voting to have you subsidize or pay for my healthcare or house or food or whatever when you benefit in no way at all from that.
    It's all about you and what you gain from it. No sense of communal or collective consideration. If you don't get anything out of it, you want no part of it. Which is fine, just have the intellectual honesty to own it.

    Please note that threads regarding this topic have been done before, and your point-of-view is well known.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

  2. #412
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,189
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Sure. Try to do that as a disabled person who needs services.

    How do I know? Because my brother until just recently, had no hope whatsoever of being ALLOWED to save up any money in order to buy his own home.
    I am sorry that your brother has had difficulties. That, however, has absolutely nothing to do with and is 100% unrelated to the argument I have been making.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #413
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,472

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But that has never happened has it. Because in a system like ours in which everybody's unalienable rights are recognized and defended, the more prosperous everybody else is, the more we can prosper. So there is not that much incentive to deny property to anybody else. There was concern on the part of some of the Founders that property would be concentrated in the hands of a few. But in a free market system it just hasn't happened because there is too much profit to be had in buying and selling property.
    It is happening right now in cities all over the world. It's what income inequality eventually leads to. Subtle effects at first, the average age of first time buyers creeping up and up. The scores of millennials who are being priced out of home ownership by 2nd home owners and buy to letters. Many young people are stuck in a cycle of renting and landlords absolutely stand to benefit from that.

    The thought of becoming home owners is but a twinkle in the eye of most people in my demographic. The consequences of that are far reaching, we've got 30 year olds living at home, marriages and children coming later and later. Not owning a home is akin to not having skin in the game, and people are much less likely to actively contribute to their communities without that skin in the game.
    "Education is the only thing you can do that will change society. Everything else is just a band-aid." - Jacqueline de Chollet
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education" - FDR

  4. #414
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,189
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You can spin it and dance around it all you want, but this really sums up everything you have been saying so far...

    It's all about you and what you gain from it. No sense of communal or collective consideration. If you don't get anything out of it, you want no part of it. Which is fine, just have the intellectual honesty to own it.

    Please note that threads regarding this topic have been done before, and your point-of-view is well known.
    Rave on little friend. Continuing to misrepresent my argument only diminishes your own.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #415
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,189
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    It is happening right now in cities all over the world. It's what income inequality eventually leads to. Subtle effects at first, the average age of first time buyers creeping up and up. The scores of millennials who are being priced out of home ownership by 2nd home owners and buy to letters. Many young people are stuck in a cycle of renting and landlords absolutely stand to benefit from that.

    The thought of becoming home owners is but a twinkle in the eye of most people in my demographic. The consequences of that are far reaching, we've got 30 year olds living at home, marriages and children coming later and later. Not owning a home is akin to not having skin in the game, and people are much less likely to actively contribute to their communities without that skin in the game.
    Different subject with different dynamics. I was not arguing that everybody has the wherewithall to buy property. Everybody doesn't. I myself have been in that position and it sucks.

    My argument is strictly that those who can buy property can usually find property to buy. That property has not become so concentrated in the hands of a few that it isn't available to those who want to buy it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #416
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,006

    Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I am sorry that your brother has had difficulties. That, however, has absolutely nothing to do with and is 100% unrelated to the argument I have been making.
    Good lord woman. I gave you the perfect response to your horse**** about how we love natural rights and no one is prevented from getting property and it's a okay to consider clamping down on voting rights.

    He doesn't have the ability to own property and there is an incentive to keep it that way.

    Own up to it that your view practically removed the ability of an entire class of people to vote.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  7. #417
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,199

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Speaking of those that shouldn't vote. How about this Congressional Republican Scumbag. I am always amazed at the chutzpah of the wingnuts. Rep. Josh Miller, recipient of significant government assistance, opposes Medicaid expansion in Arkansas | Max Brantley | Arkansas news, politics, opinion, restaurants, music, movies and art
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  8. #418
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,791

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    It's not uncommon for many people in today's world to CHOOSE to not own property, but still be otherwise valuable and productive and contributing members of society. The dynamics of societal economics has changed in the last 200+ years. The world is not as narrowly-focused as it was then.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

  9. #419
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,189
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    It is happening right now in cities all over the world. It's what income inequality eventually leads to. Subtle effects at first, the average age of first time buyers creeping up and up. The scores of millennials who are being priced out of home ownership by 2nd home owners and buy to letters. Many young people are stuck in a cycle of renting and landlords absolutely stand to benefit from that.

    The thought of becoming home owners is but a twinkle in the eye of most people in my demographic. The consequences of that are far reaching, we've got 30 year olds living at home, marriages and children coming later and later. Not owning a home is akin to not having skin in the game, and people are much less likely to actively contribute to their communities without that skin in the game.
    You are arguing income inequality that has absolutely nothing to do with what I am arguing.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #420
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,189
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Good lord woman. I gave you the perfect response to your horse**** about how we love natural rights and no one is prevented from getting property and it's a okay to consider clamping down on voting rights.

    He doesn't have the ability to own property and there is an incentive to keep it that way.

    Own up to it that your view practically removed the ability of an entire class of people to vote.
    No, you are arguing wealth inequality and I am arguing something quite different unrelated to wealth inequality. Do have a pleasant evening.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •